Bafang 8Fun conversion questions

mluisbrown

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi, I have a Radon TCS 7 city/touring bike which I'm looking to convert with a mid drive kit, probably a Bafang 8Fun kit as that one seems the most available.

Some questions:
- What's the difference between the BBS01, BBS02 and BBSHD versions? Which is the most recent? Which is the best choice for an "average" person?
- My bike currently has a triple chainring at the front, I'm guessing I will have to ditch that for the single chainring that comes with the Bafang kit?
- Can I use the electrical power without pedalling (with a throttle), do the pedals have to move when the motor is powering the bike? I'm having a hard time getting my head around how it would work otherwise without some complex freewheel arrangement.
- My lights are currently powered by a front hub dynamo and I don't intende to change that, but out of curiosity, is it possible to get a 6V feed off the battery to power dynamo lights?

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The wattage ratings and amps stamped/lasered on by the maker.
BBS01B 250W & 350W.
BBS02 500W &750W
BBSHD 1KW.
Also their are some specials out there such as the legally marked 25a 250w version available from EM3EV and a guy in Norway was selling them, other wise the BBS01B 250W is the only legal one.
BBS can work with pas (peddling ) or throttle only if you wish, the motor unit has freewheel clutch designed in.
Chain ring wise Bafang do a range from 44t to 52t, also there is a Lekkie 42t ring available or with a 104 bcd spider you could use any ring of your choice.

• Informative

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
1. power BBS01 - 250 and 350 36 V, BBS02 - (Nealh beat me to it...)
2. you can have a double chainring with an aftermarket spider - 104, 110 and 130 BCD available
3. not legally in the EU
4. you have some versions which have lights output on the controller, it is easier to change your headlight for one that accepts 6 -> 42 V, the headlight will provide 6 V to the rear light

• Informative

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
Will the headlight work from 5v? Some batteries like mine have a usb port.
I've configured my bbs02 750w, at 22a with a fresh battery it's capable of putting out well over 1kw, with a throttle in a low gear it will wheelie and blasts up Derbyshire hills. The bbshd looks epic, but I'd no need for all that power, not looking to go 40mph. It's not legal, but neither is 71 on a motorway, downloading films, being drunk in a pub or betting under different identities.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Nor is the 750w.

mluisbrown

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
Thanks for all the info. Not particularly concerned about legality, although 250W is probably more than enough for my needs (cycling around Lisbon, which has a lot of hills).

About the crank freewheeling: if I understand it correctly, the crank arms are not fixed to the chainring as they are in a normal bike? So the motor can be powering the bike without the pedals going around?

D

Deleted member 4366

Thanks for all the info. Not particularly concerned about legality, although 250W is probably more than enough for my needs (cycling around Lisbon, which has a lot of hills).

About the crank freewheeling: if I understand it correctly, the crank arms are not fixed to the chainring as they are in a normal bike? So the motor can be powering the bike without the pedals going around?
Correct.

• :D

mluisbrown

Just Joined
Mar 20, 2017
Lisbon, Portugal
One more thing: my bike has brake / gear cables that run through guides attached to the bottom of the bottom bracket, will they get in the way of a Bafang installation?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
No.

D

Deleted member 4366

One more thing: my bike has brake / gear cables that run through guides attached to the bottom of the bottom bracket, will they get in the way of a Bafang installation?
They might do, but you can always run them externally. Show us a photo.