Bafang BBS01 mechanical error (creaking when pedalling)

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Dear all.

We have a customer who we sold a Bafang BBS01 kit.

They have described the following problem:
"my BBS01 is making a horrible creaking noise when I pedal. The motor is very quiet and has given no problem. The unit is attached securely to the bike and there is no play. However, the very loud creaking noise happens when I pedal. It sounds like metal rubbing on metal. It only happens when I exert pressure on the cranks. They otherwise turn freely and without noise. The noise seems to be coming most from the chainwheel side. it’s not the pedals creaking. The pedals themselves are fine. It seems to be coming from inside the unit."

They've been unable to provide any video or photo evidence - and are reluctant to send the unit back to us for testing.

We want to provide the best customer service we can, but are currently at a loss as to exactly what the issue could be.

Does anyone have a suggestion for what we can suggest to the customer - e.g. how to open the motor and what to check for that could be causing this problem?

Bafang and the middle man supplier we bought from are not very helpful and say there is no warranty we can claim on behalf of the customer and the only solution would be to take it in and fix ourselves. However this is not ideal for the customer who wants to fix it in situ if they can.

The good news is we have our own own-brand equivalent mid-drive system that fits in a similar way and with similar performance, coming online in about 2 months. This way we can provide much more direct support and a more satisfactory warranty

Thanks in advance for your suggestions

I would be inclined to check the crank arms are secured correctly on the square taper axle. Get an Allen key and check the crank bolts are tight.
Sometimes, if there is grease or suchlike on the axle ends or inside the cranks' square before they're fitted it could cause this noise.
If simply securing the crank bolts doesn't work, try removing them both, clean up with iso or similar and refit dry ensuring they are driven well on to the axle and secured with good torque. Also good idea to check and re-tighten after 100 miles or so as they can bed in start the creaking noise. Hope that helps and it is that simple. :)

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
can you also ask the customer to confirm the noise when he rides unpowered?

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
+1 on the crank arms. They need to be torqued. IIRC, I torque wrenched mine to 40Nm and haven't looked back since.

Also, If the final drive is lacking grease, then that can create metallic noises when pedaling.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
What part of the world is the customer in? There may be a person near who can check it out.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
+1 cranks

D

Deleted member 4366

I would say that the most likely cause is the bottom bracket creaking. It's not exactly well-retained by that ring nut!

As a starting point, I'd slide out the motor assembly, grease the shaft and slide it back in.

The cranks are square taper. Any movement and they soon come loose, so you'd feel the knock in the pedal. They don't normally creak like Isis ones do.

The problem with these things is that often the description of the noise doesn't bear any relation to reality. We've had these sort of threads before. "My hub motor's making a grinding noise". " It's OK, I found that the mudguard was rubbing on the tyre" - after everybody has explained how to strip down the motor.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
At the moment I am breaking in a new set of cranks and so I am riding with the crank key in the pannier. They do creak, I don't know what Isis ones creak like but mine creak like square taper ones :p The will eventually settle in and stop making noise like the last set did. (I hope...)

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
I had a similar creaking on my BBS02 and regreasing the final drive sprocket silenced it.

Swytch Bike

Trade Member
Sep 10, 2014
Hi All

Many thanks for your quick responses

The customer has confirmed that "The crank arms had seemed tight but I took them off, cleaned them with isopropyl, refitted them tightly and the noise has gone."

All the best

Ollie

Reactions: brightonebikes

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
[QUOTE="Panda eBikes, post: 336651, member: 12370"
The good news is we have our own own-brand equivalent mid-drive system that fits in a similar way and with similar performance, coming online in about 2 months. This way we can provide much more direct support and a more satisfactory warranty

Thanks in advance for your suggestions[/QUOTE]

Hi Ollie, interesting stuff

Can you provide any more details or rough pricing ? Woosh use GSMoon for their "own brand" mid kit

Cheers
K