Bafang BBSxx mid drive cutout, an odd one

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi all

I recently had an issue with my mid drive cutting out intermittently. This post is just to show the diagnosis and result in case I may help a other

So the cutout was Totally unpredictable, sometimes under load and sometimes not. Sometimes on bumps, sometimes when near stationary on the flat, sometimes would switch back on and sometimes not. No LCD errors

At the same time both my 36v batteries starting sagging horribly according to the lcd ie from 100% to 70 in under a mile and then bounce back. One pack was all but new and performed flawlessly until the cutouts started.

My order of testing (based on my own thoughts on likelihood)

1. Battery connections to rail and to controller.
2. Welds inside battery pack itself
3. Bad cells in a cell string
4. Phase bullets
5. Wiring harness dodgy/broken wire
6. on/off and PAS switch
7. BMS (output side only as was charging /balancing perfectly
8. Lcd

I spent an age manually testing balancing the cells using a turnigy lipo charger and there was no more than 150mah between each 21,000mah cell string

Finally and somewhat astonishingly a change of lcd solved everything!

So the sagging batteries was a total false reading and a total red herring! I've never come across this kind of weirdness from an lcd. It was a good couple of years old and lots of wet miles plus the odd minor knock... But still

Big thanks to Brighton Ebikes for loaning me some spares from their workshop to help me diagnose. And I bought a nice new lcd from them too :)

Good to be back on the road again. And even better that my batteries are actually fine!

weealan

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 5, 2019
central Scotland
Strange one that,,glad you figured it out in the end,
Can you say what lcd it was that broke ?,,i am using a C965
on mine with a bit of extra waterproofing
thanks
Alan

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Strange one that,,glad you figured it out in the end,
Can you say what lcd it was that broke ?,,i am using a C965
on mine with a bit of extra waterproofing
thanks
Alan
Hmm not that one for sure as that's an older black and white. Mine was an early ish colour one. 850c maybe? Apols not 100 but can find out

Yes, totally weird and unusual. I'd have never, ever suspected those symptoms from an LCD. So it is worth a post on that basis!

Last edited:
Reactions: weealan