Help! Bafang bs01 power staying on fault

Milk2sugar

Just Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Hey, thanks in advance if any one can help.

My bafang bs01 has developed a fault, it constantly draws 1-2amps and ticks forward from start up.
I can stop this with the brake switch or by adjusting the settings to pas level 0 (I have no use of throttle in Lv 0) The motor works fine during moving conditions with both throttle and pas levels 1-9.

The motor is a few years old, used on/off road in all weather and is high mileage about 20k miles.
There is a bit of free play in the chain ring drive that feels like it could be one/all of internal gears are worn allowing movement a sensor picks up.

It's 36v 250w version running on a 48v battery (diode stopping the high voltage screen error) this battery set up has been working fine for 3 months (3kmiles) but this might of blown some thing in the motor controler.
The motor is limited to 15A.

The fault was first noticed wile I was using my (half dead) old 36v battery, the battery kept cutting out under high load so I was resetting it and using in a lower power setting again and again to get home as quick instead of just switching it off. When I went to park it, it was still wanting to go but as it was raining heavily i thought it might of been the wet as it was fine the next day with 48v. The 36v was good for short journeys so was switching between the two batteries depending on use requirements.
The fault has since returned and is present most of the time however after 10miles the fault might clear.
I have tested at both 36 and 48v and tried resetting the display and re loaded the motor settings I know worked.
I'm pretty sure it's time for a replacement or an upgrade to a 48v one to match my battery but would want to try and fix this regardless.

Had a quick look for internal parts and could only find the speed controler for the bs01 is any thing else avalible?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The throttle stop is probably damaged. The stop is only weak plastic and easily overwhelmed. If the throttle goes below the zero position it starts going back up again. You can test that by opening the throttle a tiny bit when it's creeping. If it stops, that's your problem.

Other possibilities are water in the throttle or contaminated connector.

Milk2sugar

Just Joined
Dec 1, 2019
Thanks for the advise, I have since replaced the throttle but the fault is still there intermittently.
I seems to go once the battery is below 50V but the fault is not always present.
The fault does not effect me using it except i now sit at the lights with the brake on.