Bafang Max Drive bikes

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
Here's Ultrafunkula's pic from that other thread:

Ultrafunkula Max Drive pic.jpg

Yep, lovin that photo, Bafang Max Drive all the way now, will be installing my Rohloff igh into a Max Drive bike.
Sounds like a great build you have planned, will look forward to the updates and photos :)
Personally, I'm still all about the BBSxx motor range.
At present there are not many frames built specifically for the Max drive that interest me. The ability to move to another 68/73mm frame is brilliant in my mind. Ti and Reynolds tubed frames being my faves, and the ride of the resulting bike is hard to beat when compared to aluminium. Quality build frames from recognised manufacturers with proven geometry and durability takes it every time. I know some find the BBSxx motor 'ugly' compared to the sleek lines and integration of the Max drive, but I think they're very neat, compact, light and look pretty cool.
In time I REALLY hope to see more frame manufacturers seeking to develop frames for Max drives.
Then there's the PAS / torque sensor difference. Here again I like the PAS on the BBSxx over torque sensor.

• Useful
Reactions: IR772

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
Yep brightonebikes, I can see the future being that you can buy a Max Drive compatible frame, manufactured for different disciplines and from differing materials.

My current pedal power only Ti bike frame/forks came from Tilon in China.

Tilon made me a very nice Rohloff specific frame, I think making a Max Drive frame would be a walk in the park for Tilon, and I will be dropping them a line to see what they think.

Reactions: brightonebikes

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
Sounds like a great build you have planned, will look forward to the updates and photos :)
Personally, I'm still all about the BBSxx motor range.
At present there are not many frames built specifically for the Max drive that interest me. The ability to move to another 68/73mm frame is brilliant in my mind. Ti and Reynolds tubed frames being my faves, and the ride of the resulting bike is hard to beat when compared to aluminium. Quality build frames from recognised manufacturers with proven geometry and durability takes it every time. I know some find the BBSxx motor 'ugly' compared to the sleek lines and integration of the Max drive, but I think they're very neat, compact, light and look pretty cool.
In time I REALLY hope to see more frame manufacturers seeking to develop frames for Max drives.
Then there's the PAS / torque sensor difference. Here again I like the PAS on the BBSxx over torque sensor.

Maybe it is time for a controller design that can accept all types of sensor inputs and the output be user selectable to ensure maximum efficiency for the prevailing riding conditions - best of all worlds.

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Sound advice anotherkiwi.
I'd fear tanking it up to 20A paired with 48V battery could over egg out slightly to the detriment of lifespan. Also, are Greenway happy to warranty the motor etc. If these changes are made, or are you not bothered about that for the experimental fun you'll be having?

Please can somebody confirm the motor power ratings stamped on these motors? It's just that if the 350W continuous rating is detailed (as it needs to be by law) on the motor, it puts it outside the UK's EAPC regs for road use.

Sent from here to there with computer wizardry.
The motor is detailed 36v 250w 14a, Bafang website lists that as the mm33.250 but looking at motor number on this greenway it is the 33.350 , this is listed in components section of Bafang website , the kit lists a 33.250 only , so they must of supplied the manufacturer with motors, batteries,display as separate items instead of a specific kit, it's all uk road legal at the 36v with E compliance, and 15mph , I just changed my speed limit setting coz I like to be able to skidaddle if needs arise,if it was 48v I believe it would be S Pedelec.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
What size chain ring did yours come with? Ebay listing suggests 44t? But I think yours was smaller?

Likewise ebay says "7 Speed", but lists a 9 speed Cassette part number. How many gears have you got?

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
What size chain ring did yours come with? Ebay listing suggests 44t? But I think yours was smaller?

Likewise ebay says "7 Speed", but lists a 9 speed Cassette part number. How many gears have you got?
Came with a 38t and 9 gears on the rear, I have a 44t from my MTB that I had knocking about that I tried and was pretty pleased with, now trying the 48t , notice the 38t behind the 48,

Reactions: redcup1999

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Glad to hear 9 gears on the back - I didn't think it could possibly be 7 speed.
38T chainring is not good news though - cheap enough to change (like you, I probably have one in the garage) :)

Ultrafunkula

Pedelecer
Mar 18, 2011
Reactions: Kinninvie

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
My gut feeling is that if you can't keep up a cadence of at least 70-80 you are going to put too much strain on the motor (controller) with a larger chainwheel. Then again you may not be in an area where you risk stalling the motor in bottom gear as I am.

With 42:11 I am able to pedal to about 47 km/h (29 mph) before spinning out which means a cadence between 80 and 90. At that speed the aerodynamic wall kicks in when you are sitting up anyway so I didn't see the point of going any larger. I am looking at a trike with a 26" rear wheel and there 50 or a 48 tooth makes more sense.

The 38 tooth standard chainwheel is a good compromise for town use. I am waiting for the weather window to really test my 32 tooth up in the mountain.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
AKW, the G510.1000 has 150/170/210 RPM for 43V/48V/60V and would make an ideal e-bike. It will of course need to be registered and insured.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
With 42:11 I am able to pedal to about 47 km/h (29 mph) before spinning out which means a cadence between 80 and 90.
Agree - 42:11 is what I am hoping for when the bike arrives - if not I will give 38:11 a try. My (non-assisted) road bike is 50:11 - I guess I only use that gear when going downhill!

Zack @ Byocycles

Official Trade Member
Nov 17, 2015
Havant
www.byocycles.co.uk
I reckon it will fit in same mounting, they like to make things simple and cost effective, it'll be a monster, not sure whether they have started production run yet,
Monster is correct.

Theoretical top speed:
At 100% efficiency (185RPM)
on a 26" wheel
with a 44t front and 11t rear chainring

it's possible to achieve 57.2mph.

Assume the motor is 70% efficient, and 40.1mph is a potential top speed.

• :D
Reactions: Kinninvie

Rohloffboy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2015
North West.
I noticed that JOBO Electric Bike (Jinhua JOBO Technology Co LTD) started producing a Bafang Max Drive Ebike 700c wheel back in 2015.

Nice integrated 36v 11.6Ah battery pack Panasonic/Samsung cells.

The JOBO could well be another £1000 ebike, and I am suprised that none have arrived in the UK already.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
we'll see more of them this year (and a lot).