Bankrupted by a battery?

spittingyarn

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2017
London
Hi All
I have been quoted £933 for a battery and charger to replace the dead one on my cargo trike. I just can't afford this and wondered whether there are any more economical alternatives out there?
I'm looking for something analogous to 13,6 Amp 36 V / 490 Wh to fit in the pannier.
I only need it for the school run in the warmer months and for short hops around my neighbourhood, so I don't need to be able to cover huge distances on a single charge.
TIA for any advice / suggestion.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I am amazed that someone has asked you to pay £933 for a 36V 14AH battery. I sell my 36V 15AH battery for £345 including courier.
can you post some pictures? It may be worth to consider recelling the old battery.

spittingyarn

Just Joined
Apr 19, 2017
London
Thanks for your reply.

I don't have the battery in my possession at the moment. It's with my mechanic, so I can't post any pictures. I am non-technical so I have no idea whether recelling is a viable option, but I will explore it. Thank you.

As a side note, I don't know whether my battery died of old-age. My mechanic raised his eyebrows because there was WD-40 residue on it from an over-enthusiastic squirt to my pannier spring. Can WD-40 kill a battery?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that one looks easy to recell.
Batteries do die of neglect. Use it or lose it as they say.

D

Deleted member 4366

Unfortunately you can't go by looks. We need some details like:
Where did you get it from?
What is the motor system?
Is it an OEM cargo bike? If so, which one?
Did somebody fit a conversion kit to your trike? If so, which one.-
-
No need to feel guilty. You can't damage a battery with WD40.

13.6 Ah is an unusual size. It implies Panasonic NCR 18650b cells, which haven't been out that long. Is it relatively new? is it not covered by guarantee if it is new?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Your probably not to far from Jimmy aka Insat/BGA Reworking nr Bounds Green Tube Station N11.
He will make you a new battery and shrink wrap it to go in a pannier for a bout £300 or a bit cheaper recell your old casing using the bms. My brother today paid 280 for his Kalkhoff Panasonic recell, the old 26F(2600mah) cells were replaced with 40 GA (3450mah) cells giving 30% more capacity.
More on this in another thread soon.

Reactions: Kinninvie