Batavus Lento

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Hmmm! It doesn't sound quite right, and if it is right, I'd say that it's too heavy. The problem is that a lot of sellers copy, paste and edit listings without knowing what they're doing, so you can't trust want they write.

The weight is stated as 4.5 kg. Allow 1/2kg for the case, leaves 4kg for the cell-pack. Each cell is 50g, so, it's a 70 or 80 cell pack. You should be looking for a 40 cell one, which would weigh less than 3kg. A good one could give 15Ah, though 12 Ah would be more like it, and enough for about 40 miles, which is about as far as you'd want to go on a bike like that.

What has interested you in a massive battery like that?

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
Hmmm! It doesn't sound quite right, and if it is right, I'd say that it's too heavy. The problem is that a lot of sellers copy, paste and edit listings without knowing what they're doing, so you can't trust want they write.

The weight is stated as 4.5 kg. Allow 1/2kg for the case, leaves 4kg for the cell-pack. Each cell is 50g, so, it's a 70 or 80 cell pack. You should be looking for a 40 cell one, which would weigh less than 3kg. A good one could give 15Ah, though 12 Ah would be more like it, and enough for about 40 miles, which is about as far as you'd want to go on a bike like that.

What has interested you in a massive battery like that?
Thanks for your advice. I was looking at the same supplier as I bought the kit from. No reason for size. I will look for another one.
My biggest concern is that the battery will fit and work with the kit. I don't want to buy one and find out that it doesn't work with it.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
In principle, any 36v battery will work with those kits. There are just two wires to join.

The more Ah you get, the further you can go, but also the more Ah you get, the heavier the battery. The things to look at are how it fixes to your bike and whether you like the look of it.

Those of us that know about batteries can get some useful info from the listings, but, as I said, there are often mistakes in the listings. If you could trust them, it would be a lot easier. Anecdotally, I'd say at least 50% have errors in them.

You did the right thing in posting some details. When you find one that you like the look of, post a link to the actual listing so that we can check it for you.

Which kit are you going to get?

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
I purchased a Yose Power kit, recommend on the forum. I will have another look at batteries. Thank you once again. This is a steep learning curve and I would certainly be lost without the advice from the forum.

Attachments

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
My Yose ebike kit arrived today. I have to now search for a good battery. I have found this from Battery Empire - Accumulator Battery Green Cell Down Tube 36V 11.6Ah 418Wh for Electric Bike E-Bike Pedelec. Would this be appropriate for my Batavus Lento and Yose kit? (Retrofit Kit 36V250W 28" 700c Electric Bike Conversion Kit Front Hub Motor Wheel).

Thank you in advance.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
My Yose ebike kit arrived today. I have to now search for a good battery. I have found this from Battery Empire - Accumulator Battery Green Cell Down Tube 36V 11.6Ah 418Wh for Electric Bike E-Bike Pedelec. Would this be appropriate for my Batavus Lento and Yose kit? (Retrofit Kit 36V250W 28" 700c Electric Bike Conversion Kit Front Hub Motor Wheel).

Thank you in advance.
Link please!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It looks OK. I think you have to order the charger separately. Many of the batteries on Ebay come with chargers, so bear that in mind when considering costs.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Good point re charger. This Yose one looks similar with charger. Is this any good? https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/223671405199.
It looks OK, but with all the ones with that case, the fixings are at the top end, so you have to fit one or two rivnuts to your frame. I prefer the type below because they nearly always fit directly to your bottle holder fixings. It's the middle one (13AH). They offer some very good guarantees on it, if you can trust them. Also, it can give double the power of the one you linked (20A vs 10A).

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
It looks OK, but with all the ones with that case, the fixings are at the top end, so you have to fit one or two rivnuts to your frame. I prefer the type below because they nearly always fit directly to your bottle holder fixings. It's the middle one (13AH). They offer some very good guarantees on it, if you can trust them. Also, it can give double the power of the one you linked (20A vs 10A).
Thanks. What is the difference in performance between the amps?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Thanks. What is the difference in performance between the amps?
Batteries that can provide more power sag less when you're taking a lot of power from them, so you get a bit more power from them in that situation.

The battery current needs to reach at least what the controller demands. If you look at the controller's label, you should see its maximum current.

The higher the capability of the battery, the more powerful the controller you can use.
The battery in your link is only rated at 10 amps continuous. Your controller is probably at least 15 amps, which means that the battery is a bit short on power.

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
Batteries that can provide more power sag less when you're taking a lot of power from them, so you get a bit more power from them in that situation.

The battery current needs to reach at least what the controller demands. If you look at the controller's label, you should see its maximum current.

The higher the capability of the battery, the more powerful the controller you can use.
The battery in your link is only rated at 10 amps continuous. Your controller is probably at least 15 amps, which means that the battery is a bit short on power.
So worth going for the higher amp version?

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
So worth going for the higher amp version?
I have purchased a Yose conversion kit (see picture). The controller says the working amp is 7 and max is 15 amps. I have spotted a battery which is 15 amps.
On doing some reading on another forum (sorry), it says that 15amps will not be much use. Is my controller insufficient? I am getting myself a little confused
I cannot imagine Yose selling a ebike kit that wouldn't power a bike. I am keen to purchase a battery soon (Christmas present). But do not want a disappointed wife! httpsss://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113752678079

Attachments

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
That's weird, its a Lishui Controller. I thought Yose supplied KT ones.
perhaps they appreciate the wisdom of Lishui in not exposing internal registers of the controller's firmware like KT?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I have purchased a Yose conversion kit (see picture). The controller says the working amp is 7 and max is 15 amps. I have spotted a battery which is 15 amps.
On doing some reading on another forum (sorry), it says that 15amps will not be much use. Is my controller insufficient? I am getting myself a little confused
I cannot imagine Yose selling a ebike kit that wouldn't power a bike. I am keen to purchase a battery soon (Christmas present). But do not want a disappointed wife! httpsss://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113752678079
You can't always believe what you read on forums.
15 amps is a normal amount for an electric bicycle. You should try it before you decide whether it's enough power. If it's not enough for you, there are some ways to increase it, so ask again after trying it. It would help a lot if you could ask Yosepower for a manual for the LCD and controller.

Skyb87

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2019
Forgot to say. Can anyone tell me how they should be connected. There is nothing in either the conversion or battery manuals.
Thanks