Battery advice wanted.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I have a Tong Sheng 36 volt 500watt motor in a Giant Revolt gravel bike. The battery is a Woosh HL 15 amp hour, which is nearly four years old, it still holds a reasonable charge. The maximum charge seems to be 41.6 volts. Charging has become rather strange. I left it on charge after a 15 mile ride & when I returned there was no light on the charger. I checked the fuse which was OK, plugged back into the socket but not the battery & the green light came on, when I plugged into the battery the light went out & the red light did not come on. I tried again a bit later & the charger came back to life. The battery has an habit of switching off within a short distance when setting off after the power has been turned off. after turning it back on it is OK. I was advised to discharge & recharge the battery several times, which I did by connecting three 35 watt 12 volt bulbs in series & leaving it until the lights went out. It did the same switching off briefly after a few seconds but then coming back on. Should I try a new charger or is it time to buy new battery & keep this one as a spare. If I do buy a battery, are Samsung 30 Q cells a worthwhile upgrade over Samsung 29E. I can Buy a 17.4 amp hour 29e battery for less than a 15 amp hour 30Q from Eclipse are Eclipse reliable sellers? Finally are HL 1 & HL 3 batteries & carriers interchangeable eg. will HL 1 battery fit on HL 3 carrier & vice versa?.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
You have a simple connection fault, which you should easily be able to find with a voltmeter. When you have no light, check the voltage on the battery's charge socket and the charger. That will tell you which direction to go. It's not unusual to get severe burning in the jack socket in the battery. Have a look at the condition of the sprung ground contact. That's normally the thing that gets it.

Whover told you to charge and discharge the battery hasn't a clue what they're talking about. Don't ask them for any more advice.

cycling weakly

Pedelecer
Oct 4, 2015
I emailed Eclipse to ask about HL1 battery on HL 3 carrier & vice versa. They replied promptly & politely that they are not switchable & also the charger leads are different.
Steve.

Reactions: D C