Battery Boost

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
.... the mechanical mileage counter (where on earth did Beeping-Sleauty get one of these in 2009? I vaguely remember them when I first learned to ride bikes as a small boy in the 1970s...)

eBay Alex,

i used it for a trailer project & i didn't want to lose the mileage every time a battery ran out.

they are still popular in Germany.

mart.hart

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2008
.... Hi Mart, you may be in luck again today, i have one of those mechanical meters, about half the size of a matchbox, it is boxed & complete, almost as good as new, only 340 kms , ...but there's the rub, it is a kilometer counter as opposed to a mileometer, but it's free & yours if you want it...?

best regards,
beeps
Great stuff B-S.

Kms will be fine only need the half way (dont panic) mark of the batt.

Hope you got paypal :D send you a pm.

Thanks

Mart

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Maybe mart and his dog can be like UK audaxers who often give all their distances and speeds in metric, I once asked why they did this when all the signs are still in miles etc and although some said it was due to the Euro-origins of Audax, one guy was honest and pointed out that it also made the speeds/distances look more impressive :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Mart

Beeps sent me the pack that was mentioned here, and I've been trying to get it serviceable by conditioning. Unfortunately some cells had gone too far and the hydride wasn't sufficiently recoverable, so no luck I'm afraid.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Mart.Hart, where did you get the dog trailer from and how much did it cost? A friend of mine is looking for the exact same thing to tow her dog.

mart.hart

Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2008
Mart.Hart, where did you get the dog trailer from and how much did it cost? A friend of mine is looking for the exact same thing to tow her dog.
Hi U-P. I got it off ebay and it was about £60 must have been a second as it was brand new and they are about £140.
Got my friend one a couple of months ago and it went for £30 including postage the jammy git.

Flec and B_S
No worries but thanks for trying with the battery.
I am going to do a bit better battery management.
Like not setting off with the throttle, It felt good but peddling back 5 miles did not.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Flec and B_S No worries but thanks for trying with the battery. I am going to do a bit better battery management.
Like not setting off with the throttle, It felt good but peddling back 5 miles did not.
What about using the throttle just to get you going from stationary instead of pushing down on the pedals for those first few turns - surely that cant do any harm?

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Flec and B_S No worries but thanks for trying with the battery. I am going to do a bit better battery management.
What about using the throttle just to get you going from stationary instead of pushing down on the pedals for those first few turns - surely that cant do any harm? :cool:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
What about using the throttle just to get you going from stationary instead of pushing down on the pedals for those first few turns - surely that cant do any harm? :cool:
That causes the highest consumption from a hub motor, getting the bike rolling first saves a lot of current.

That's why Cytronex say their bike should be pedalled up to 5 mph before cutting in the motor, to get the best out of their small battery.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Thats a shame because this is when people, particularly those with knee problems, need assistance from the motor, as the force on the pedals is greater at this point.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thats a shame because this is when people, particularly those with knee problems, need assistance from the motor, as the force on the pedals is greater at this point.
For them the longer range bikes are best. If the knee problems are severe the Wisper models with the 14 Ah battery are good since they can stand lots of fully powered starts and still give good range.

Although pedelecs, with moderate knee problems the Panasonic motored bikes are good since they momentarily give maximum power on the first pedal thrust to kick the bike off the mark, while still having good range.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
My knees are bad to the point where I often find walking painfull and I use the Cytronex without issue. I tend to automatically stand on the pedals for extra leverage when starting off but that's mostly because I've left the bike in a higher gear. It takes very little effort to reach 5mph without assistance. You could also start off in a low gear with ease.
I find steep hills cause the most strain on the knees when cycling and that's why I have the electric bike from no-hills.com. :). Hill starts haven't been a problem for me either - I just use a low gear to start off.

Exceptional steep hills excluded - I have yet to encounter the serious ones some members endure.

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
My knees are bad to the point where I often find walking painfull and I use the Cytronex without issue. I tend to automatically stand on the pedals for extra leverage when starting off but that's mostly because I've left the bike in a higher gear. It takes very little effort to reach 5mph without assistance. You could also start off in a low gear with ease.
I find steep hills cause the most strain on the knees when cycling and that's why I have the electric bike from no-hills.com. :). Hill starts haven't been a problem for me either - I just use a low gear to start off.

Exceptional steep hills excluded - I have yet to encounter the serious ones some members endure.
Having said that, it is REALLY nice on the Wisper, being able to engage the throttle to save the knees.... :D

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Having said that, it is REALLY nice on the Wisper, being able to engage the throttle to save the knees.... :D
Yeah it's true you can't go wrong with all that power to spare.

The dreaded puncture and a walk back home is my only problem as far as the old knees go. Any more glass on the roads (is that possible?) and I'm going to have to change to marathon plus. :eek:

torrent99

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2008
Highgate, London
Yeah it's true you can't go wrong with all that power to spare.

The dreaded puncture and a walk back home is my only problem as far as the old knees go. Any more glass on the roads (is that possible?) and I'm going to have to change to marathon plus. :eek:
Ah just do it anyway, with that £40 quid deal around you won't regret it.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
The same as a Wisper?

I have a City Thunder which I guess is the same as a Wisper (Same wiring diagram)
Bike works great but when I tow the trailer it can run out of battery at about 10 miles.
It realy is not like a Wisper at all, they just simulated the look of our frame.

All the best David