Battery Question

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi i keep looking at this battery but i am not sure if its good ,bad or ok
e-bike lithium battery 36v17ah with cellphone charging USB+Charger+Bracket

·Voltage: 36 V ·Capacity: 17Ah ·Weight: Approx.3.1kg(exclude the mounting rail) ·Cycle Time: 500 (≥60% Capacity)

·Cell: LG 18650 Li-ion LiNiCoMnO2
The battery is made of Samsung cells.
·Standard Current: 17A ·Max. Current: 34A ·Protect Current: 50A ·End Voltage: 28V
this is all the information it said about it apart from the £269 price tag

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
It`s Chinese, so its buyer beware, could be a bargain could be rubbish.

Bit of a contradiction describing the cells, Samsung or LG ?!!

I`d talk to Jimmy at Insat first, at least you could return if there's an issue, no chance with Chinese.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
i am fairly sure that's who I bought my 10.4ah bottle battery from last year
cost was £170 if I recall yosepower brand
mine has been ok fitted to Carrera subway cd kit amps set to 12 got 45mile range 1200 miles covered get about 30-35 amps set to16

eclipse bikes seem to have some reasonably priced batteries but are out of stock have not received email reply for when new stock will be in.
oh had to pick up battery from local parcel force office it arrived in a big box

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent

I`d talk to Jimmy at Insat first, at least you could return if there's an issue, no chance with Chinese.
Hi
and thanks for the reply and after checking again it does say LG and samsung , may i ask where jimmy at insat is only i am in the uk best wishes Brian

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
i am fairly sure that's who I bought my 10.4ah bottle battery from last year
cost was £170 if I recall yosepower brand
mine has been ok fitted to Carrera subway cd kit amps set to 12 got 45mile range 1200 miles covered get about 30-35 amps set to16

eclipse bikes seem to have some reasonably priced batteries but are out of stock have not received email reply for when new stock will be in.
oh had to pick up battery from local parcel force office it arrived in a big box
Hi and yes this is the same people but what puts me off is the 500 cycle time does that mean the number of charges before it comes to the end of its life.and yes i just checked eclipse

D

Deleted member 4366

Hi and yes this is the same people but what puts me off is the 500 cycle time does that mean the number of charges before it comes to the end of its life.and yes i just checked eclipse
Nearly all batteries are the same at 500 charges. Jimmy has some cells which are supposed to last four times as long. The old LiFePO4 batteries had the potential to last well if you looked after them, but they're heavy.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The Boston Swing cell is meant to be rated as having 2k cycles before any ill effect is noticeable, they are a 13a discharge cell. So are much better then most modest Ah cells from any maker, a lot of cells can barely handle 5a some can do up to 7a. Pick your cell carefully and you can get very good 10 -20a discharge cells that will out live and perform far better then the modest ones, though there is a price difference in cells however that price difference doesn't appear to be that noticeable with a bespoke battery from Jimmy at BGA /Insat.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Boston Swing cell is meant to be rated as having 2k cycles before any ill effect is noticeable, they are a 13a discharge cell. So are much better then most modest Ah cells from any maker, a lot of cells can barely handle 5a some can do up to 7a. Pick your cell carefully and you can get very good 10 -20a discharge cells that will out live and perform far better then the modest ones, though there is a price difference in cells however that price difference doesn't appear to be that noticeable with a bespoke battery from Jimmy at BGA /Insat.
Good point, but bear in mind that they're double the size. You use half as many, so to compare with 18650s, you'd have to say that they're 6.5A cells, i.e they're a direct equivalent of a 2500mha 6.5 amp 18650. That makes them quite a bit heavier now that we have 3500mah or more cells, so basically, you gain longer life at the cost of more weight or less capacity.

All these choices we now have make it virtually impossible to decide which cells to get. For someone who just wants their electric bike to work forever, the Boston cells are good, but there will be much better batteries and cells in a couple of years time, so for me, a battery that lasts two years is enough. For me, light weight is the most important characteristic for an e-bike battery, so I look forward to the 1 kg 10Ah one, which is not far away now. 20 of these gets you 8.5 Ah at 1 kg.

https://eu.nkon.nl/sanyo-ncr20700b-lithium-battery.html

• Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
That 20700 from Sanyo gets a good review on Lygte-info.dk.
It is a proper 15a discharge cell that still delivers very good mah. Even at the 15a discharge they show about or above 3750mah capacity.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
18650 probably have all but maxed out at about 3500mah for their size, the issue being is getting good amps discharge and capacity usually you get one or the other. The larger cell sizes are now starting to achieve this and the example in the two above posts show this, in time maybe a few years this will go higher maybe 5ah.
The Boston is a commercial cell 19 x 37.3mm and has seen an improvement, it originally was a 4400mah cell so has risen to 5300mah. Probable that it could go a bit further if development continues which I see no reason why not and a 6500mah version in future years.
Not intended for welding together but connected via an integrated module system for expanding capacities and big voltages.
Totally agree though with cell choice if you are able to and have the means to weld cells together then their are plenty of quality options available.

Last edited:

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent

Hi just to let you know i have spoke with Gem and Jimmy and after discussing what i was looking for in a Battery i finally settled for this.

I used my own battery case which would only hold so many battery’s and this was the spec
Panasonic HCR 18650GA 36V.14AMP which was bought from Jimmy and Gem Insat International and there service was excellent with am amazingly fast turn around so all that remains is for me to put the battery through its paces over the weekend ,best wishes Brian. and thanks Tommie

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
glad you got sorted any idea what the constant current is rated at on said battery, the 17amp- on the original battery you looked at

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
glad you got sorted any idea what the constant current is rated at on said battery, the 17amp- on the original battery you looked at
Hi the only information i had fromJImmy was and this is his email to me
Hi Brian,

Thank you for your interest in our products. We are unique with our builds as we use copper interconnects which is the only material to use if the aim is to build the ultimate battery. Such a battery has the lowest overall resistance which results in highest power, least volts drop and longest cycle life.

I use cells which are rated at 10A constant current discharge rate. You could have the following choice:

36V 14.5Ah Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh 10A CDR, 25A Smartec BMS £300
36V 17.5Ah Panasonic NCR18650GA 3500mAh 10A CDR, 25A Smartec BMS £350

Both include 2A charger or with a 3A for £15 extra. There is a year warranty and the delivery charge is included in the price.

and sorry i have no more information on the other Battery’s best wishes Brian.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks not a bad price considering you know what cells and get charger and delivery.

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
023.jpg DSC_0995.JPG DSC_1004.JPG DSC_1004.JPG DSC_0995.JPG DSC_0995.JPG Hi,
managed to get a 30mile trip along the canal to church lawton and surrounding area and the battery Jimmy made for me is excellent, there were no problems and i used only one out of the the four red power lights ,taking into account i was using the canal tow path which is perfectly flat and i have to say are in better condition than most of the roads in the uk and a great deal more enjoyable ,so all in all i am very pleased ,i was also very taken when on the canal i passed this beautiful colourful little fairy land of a building as pic enclosed and my Battery fitted

Last edited: