BBS01 350w help required please.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Just went out on my mountain bike to try out the new 36v 14.5Ah battery I got from Jimmy at Insat. The increase in power over my old Chinese 10.4Ah bottle battery is incredible.

Problem is on steep hills the motor was making a strange noise.......intermittent rapid clicking .....can only describe it as souinding like a gear slipping. Just wondering if it's the extra power causing this as it has never happened before.

I'm hoping some of you more knowledgeable guys out there can throw some light on this for me.

Cheers
Bill

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
My BBS 18a worked fine with 14.5ah Samsung cells, with a new battery with better cells the torque and speed will feel more powerful so any dryness or lack of lube may be causing the noise. Motor noise may be down to lack of grease so the drive side cover needs removing to see the gearing also the main drive shaft is worth checking as some models have been lacking grease and rusting can be an issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: bmc

Kinninvie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2013
Teesdale,England
Make sure you are in a low enough gear to keep the motor spinning fast.
Too slow a speed will cause cogging which may be the ratcheting sound you are hearing.

Reactions: SpezElec and bmc

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Thanks for the feedback guys.........took the drive side cover of today and packed some more grease in there.

While I had the crank of, I decided to order a 42 tooth chainringl, so I wont be able to ride again until that arrives sometime next week.

Will let you know how I get on when I get the new chainring fitted.

bmc

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2013
Whitworth Lancs.
Got out today for a quick 10 mile run with the new Lekkie chainring fitted, and I'm pleased to say that everything performed flawlessly.

Looks like the extra grease sorted the motor problem, so thanks for your help guys.

Last edited: