BBS01 Chainrings

Moto

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 7, 2017
Hampshire
I have fitted a BBS01 to an old Specialized Stumpjumper FSR and it's working well!

I want to lower the gearing for off-road, but there doesn't seem to be a simple way to purchase a smaller chainring in the UK - I see 44t on eBay, but that is only 2 teeth down so not much help.

The chain line will not allow to go any further out as 2nd is a worrying angle, 1st I just don't use.

Any suggestions? I'm thinking 40 or 42t...

Thanks

Steve

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
.....The chain line will not allow to go any further out as 2nd is a worrying angle, 1st I just don't use.......
I am not specifically familiar with your set up but I was similarly unhappy with chain line on TSDZ2 with the lower gears. Anyhow I managed to dismantle the gear cluster and rearrange cogs to give a wide spread of ratios over 7 speeds with the chain line on the 18 tooth cog. i.e. 13/15/18/21/24/28/34.
I reckon for ebike's in general, you need a different set of ratios with less gears and a bigger spread. especially on the lower gears.

Reactions: Moto

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
If you buy a lekkie 42 bling ring [not cheap], but it has the added advantage of moving the chain line inwards
or a cheaper option is to try a chain guide

Moto

Jul 7, 2017
Hampshire
. Anyhow I managed to dismantle the gear cluster and rearrange cogs to give a wide spread of ratios over 7 speeds with the chain line on the 18 tooth cog. i.e. 13/15/18/21/24/28/34.
Interesting idea. I had a quick look at an old cassette and its easy enough to do, will have to look at the teeth spacing as I think only have 11t so would be a relatively big jump, I can see having a 13t top gear on the lock ring would be good.

Moto

Jul 7, 2017
Hampshire
If you buy a lekkie 42 bling ring [not cheap], but it has the added advantage of moving the chain line inwards
Well.... actually the standard ring has quite a pronounced dish inwards to help the chain-line, so I can only assume a Bling ring would just move it out as its flat?

Moto

Jul 7, 2017
Hampshire
The 36 lekkie is flat but 42 and above are dished, luna cycles used to have a range with different offset
Ah, yes my mistake. At that price, and made from softer aluminium I think I will look at other options ;)

Moto

Jul 7, 2017
Hampshire
Just for interest, I have found that as my fitness increased the need for lower gears has gone and I quite often want a higher gear! Well, downhill anyway.
One thing of note with the BBS01 is that it's power curve peaks at quite a low rpm, or at least quite a bit lower than my normal cadence.
This means that to benefit from the motor on a steep hill needs a gear or two higher than you would use in unassisted mode.
I did swap to a 34 tooth cassette when changing the chain recently, 2nd gear now is plenty low enough without any nasty chain noises. 1st gear works reliably but does make a little noise due to the chain angle, but I never need it anyway.

Sturmey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2018
Ireland
....One thing of note with the BBS01 is that it's power curve peaks at quite a low rpm, or at least quite a bit lower than my normal cadence.
This means that to benefit from the motor on a steep hill needs a gear or two higher than you would use in unassisted mode.
I did swap to a 34 tooth cassette when changing the chain recently, 2nd gear now is plenty low enough without any nasty chain noises. 1st gear works reliably but does make a little noise due to the chain angle, but I never need it anyway.
On most 'controlled' electric motors, the power seems to peaks around 60-70% of max rpm but the motor is most efficient above 80%. (RPM = cadence on a mid drive)
The motor simulator can illustrate this e.g. On a 10% hill climb, the 24T rear cog has more power and faster than the 34T, but is less efficient and does result in a hotter motor (100 versus 70 C) and approx 10% extra battery consumption.