Help! Bbs01b problem

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Just got back from a problematic ride. First sign of trouble was the thumb throttle affecting the motor by causing the motor to stutter and lose power, it would only run properly when the thumb throttle was pushed to max position Removal of the thumb throttle made the pedal assist work fine. However after a few more miles the power completely died to the motor but display seems OK) and I had to pedal back home approx 40kms and lots of hills. Now I have the controller undone checking the white plug and the other conectors and nothing appears wrong. I have not heard of problems with these motors but plenty problems with the controllers but would like some help from anyone who has had similar faults.
When I had near similar problems before i stripped the motor and re soldered every connection (dry joint) and no further problem until now 14500kms later . All the connections all look good on earlier inspection

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Update there is warning code 34 which i understand is a communication between battery and motor. I am thinking its the controller and would just change it but could do with opinions from others

jarob10

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2017
Uk
Your controller is shot

I had a near identical experience. Throttle dies, and unless you disconnect it quickly it takes the controller with it.

Don’t spring for another glass bbs controller, wire in a kt controller instead. They're bulletproof & a match in terms of power delivery.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Your controller is shot

I had a near identical experience. Throttle dies, and unless you disconnect it quickly it takes the controller with it.

Don’t spring for another glass bbs controller, wire in a kt controller instead. They're bulletproof & a match in terms of power delivery.
Thanks very much you are making me sure the controller needs binning

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Fitted a new controller but with no success. The display lights up but there is no apparent life on the motor. I guess it may be inside the motor but what could the problem be

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Fitted a new controller but with no success. The display lights up but there is no apparent life on the motor. I guess it may be inside the motor but what could the problem be
try to proceed with a minimum install: connect just the battery and LCD to the motor, then hold the - button to start the motor in walk mode.

If that works, add one brake lever at a time then the throttle last.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
try to proceed with a minimum install: connect just the battery and LCD to the motor, then hold the - button to start the motor in walk mode.

If that works, add one brake lever at a time then the throttle last.
[/QUOTE

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
I will try this tomorrow but if no success I will replace the motor so can woosh supply a bbs01b motor only.36v If I change the motor it gives me more time to investigate the original.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I can repair the motor for you if you send it to me.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
I tried the above suggestions and no difference other than error 8 on the display which says hall sensor problem

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Hall sensors are located inside the motor, can be tested and replaced.
Are you OK with removing the motor?

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: wheeliepete

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
I have the complete drive out and on the bench. I will try to find a cardboard box and send it to you today.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I had a similar problem with an older BBS02 a couple of years ago. I resoldered the hall sensor pins on the PCB and it solved the issue.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Thamk you Pete
Two years ago I had dry joint problems with this motor which I had to re solder but they appear OK now. Maybe my problem is with the Halls so I have sent it to Woosh so Tony can check and repair.

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
I'm sure Tony will get it working again for you. I would also replace your throttle when you refit the motor, or at least strip and inspect your existing one for water ingress.

Ken J

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2017
Spain
Yes woosh did indeed sort my problem out with the hall sensor delivered to them on a morning repaired and sent out that afternoon and at a very fair price. Woosh keep spares and with their repair service they seem excellent to me. Nothing was too much trouble when I had questions. I have fitted a few conversions here in spain and after sales service is very important. Woosh and Brighton bikes have both been excellent so any more that I have to fit will come from one of these two companies