BBS01b Refresh Advice

fusion.wind

Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2017
Scotland
Hello,

my (unmodified) BBS01b has done near on 1000 miles, including through recent winter snow and on salty-slushy roads. It's certainly noisier than when I got it, but not in a concerning way (a whurr, no clonking, clicking, grinding or banging). I know it is internally (by UK ebike shop) greased between large motor cog and small one. I intend to take it apart and re-grease with [bunch of threads here with 'best' ] lith-moly. I am guessing that some water maybe grit got in.

I wasn't going to go into the unit much further than the outer case but while it is off the bike and open, I'm curious to know how often the other parts such such as the nylon gears are routinely replaced that I should order before I start? Is it worth planning to pull entirely apart and cleaning out for instance the motor stators? Will I need to replace any waterproofing seals? What is a safe degrease to use?

Cheers.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I wouldn't bother going any further than greasing the final drive cogs every now and again. It's all pretty well sealed and protected from the elements anyway. Unless you experience any issues with the unit, I would leave the internals well alone.

One tip though. When you are replacing the final drive plastic cover, be careful not to tighten the screws too tight, otherwise the cover can crack.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Take the pedal/final drive shaft out and clean/grease bearings, this is where the water ends up. Just redone mine after 6000 miles, and replaced most of the bearings for a couple of quid each. Two bearings were knackered. I replaced mine as the clutch/freewheel had gone. Prior to this I'd always greased externally to reduce water ingress and the final drive big cog. That said I ride almost every day year round so takes a bit of a beating. Only thing I struggled with was one of the thrust bearings which I can't find a replacement for except China @ £20+, sod's law I only noticed after I ordered the freewheel. For now I have just packed plenty of grease in Na dtightened the two nuts to hold everyhing ion place.

John