Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Cheer up, you managed to make a wooden box in your two week holiday :D

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
47.5miles done today delivering a ladder and 20empty beer bottles to my mate the home brewer and collecting my nail gun from another mate.

Glad I didn't get bbshd but also glad I didnt buy the bbs01 the bbs02 with 48v battery only just copes with local hills in the lowest gear at10mph.

Todays trip used 1/5th of the battery
I may have over specced :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Glad I didn't get bbshd but also glad I didnt buy the bbs01 the bbs02 with 48v battery only just copes with local hills in the lowest gear at10mph.
What chainring did you get? After climbing a couple of "mountain" passes I am moving to a 42 tooth. I want to be able to climb steep and go far, given up on highest possible top speed downhill.

Don't worry about the battery, having all those extra Ah will at least lessen voltage sag on those hills.

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
Got a 44 atm but also got a 36tooth on the rear cassette.

Looking at rebuilding my rear wheel in a sturmey archer cassette hub further down the line 25% lower and 25 % increase runs off a normal front shifter so be like having 3 speeds upfront again.

Sram- dual drive is based on the sturmey set up.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Just incase it helps anyone this was yesterday's ride profile

Bike weighs 60lb unloaded
Don't you have a screen capture utility on your computer? :p

I see you climbed a wall at 35 km, that is where your gearing is failing you I guess. We have a few spots like that here, I ride around them rather than over them.

I will be running 42:32. And as I have a spider if that doesn't work I could mount a double chainring, say a 46-38 but I don't think I will have to go to such extremes.

17.9 at 48 V! I am jealous :oops:

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
Sorry was away for 2 weeks on holidays. And a trip to Turkmenistan with work

Yeah battery range is wicked but at a weight.

Done 120miles on it now (it's not my main or only bike) found the limitations and the motor started clicking on the steepest bit even in my lowest gear. So I pushed up. It did the same hill no bother unloaded so I assume I was just too heavy for my gearing.

100lbs of hand tools and ppe +30lb rucksack with computer and **** in. Plus me at 180lbs plus bike at 60lb and a 10%gradient getting up to the main road from the railway cyclepath.

Have fitted a 36 tooth chain ring upfront on a Chinese copy spider from eBay. That seems to have sorted it but it's in 36-12 to sit at 15.5mph and my cadence is maxed so I have no option to pedal to go faster like I did before with te 42 that was on it.

I'm going to order the sturmey archer 3 speed cassette hub next week to give me a wider range of gearing.

D

Deleted member 4366

That's an interesting set of charts. The power one shows an average of 115 watts. That's not very high and might account for your low battery consumption. Some riders wouldn't use any battery at that average power.

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
while your observation is true - it also includes static periods. i visited 3 friends and was stopped for an hour and half.

How ever as was surprising the cargo bike despite its weight runs well on the flat and needs minimal motor input its purely on the uphills it needs the motor to maintain 15.5mph.

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
had my first passenger on the weekend there.

the bridge to the village was shut so i had to use the singletrack cutty to get the wife to the bus. Xtracycle beats walking.

It works well , wife was surprised at how well it copes with her on the back. Even climbing back to the house was easy.

It does most definantly benefit from the 36tooth front ring but now i find my self spinning out at 16mph on the flat.

Just picked up some dynamo lighting and a nexus front hub for it - all my other bikes run dynamos and the fit and forgetness is so worth while.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
http://precialps.com/uk/20-accessories-bafang-bbs01-bbs02

I have the 104 BSD spider and mounted 42-32 steel chainrings. Yes 32 is a little extreme but it was what I had on hand so I just mounted it, haven't tested yet. Chainline isn't wonderful but working as with the 42 I spend most of my time in 3rd and 4th gear around town.

And I have fitted the b+m lights connected to the main battery. The lights will continue to work all the way down to 6 Volts so even if I run out of juice for assistance the lights will continue to work between 36.5 and 34 Volts off the lipos.