BBSxx maintenance intervals?

CrIMiN8l

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 23, 2016
London
Thanks guys will look into this, Just placed an order for mobilegrease 28 few days a go. Will I be ok using this on both gears for now?

DynatechFan

Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2017
t'North
this is really helpfull stuff, thanks folks. I too had trouble getting hold of the Mobil grease, even though my best mate works for Airbus it seems hard to source in small quantities in UK

I ended up sourcing Silicone based grease intended for diving equipment, it is designed to be used with rubber seals and plastics. Works brilliantly in things like old Shimano shifters and I used it all over my ebike kit install to keep out water

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
I have a BBS01 unit, since approx. September 2014. Bought from Woosh.
In total I have covered 4800 km, or close to 3000 miles. Most of this is commuting to/from work, in all types of weather in Denmark.

Around 3000 km, the unit started to develop some noises and vibrations. I tried to regrease the final gear using lithium-moly grease several times to solve this. Without luck.

The noise got worse until I had covered between 4200-4400 km. Then I stripped the unit down, regreased with mobil-28 grease. This cleared all noises and most of the vibrations.

I found that some lithium-moly grease had gotten in next door to the nylon gear. Not much, but clearly visible on the nylon gear's teeth. Besides that, the nylon gear was in mint condition without any signs of wear.

Most of the original grease on the nylon gear had left the gear, due to rotational forces.

The most disturbing thing I saw when stripping the motor down, is that the rubber seal that protects the compartment with the nylon gear from water was assembled incorrectly. Consequentially, water had gotten into this compartment (visible water drops near the broken seal), with clear signs of corrosion near the leak, and some minor on the stator and rotor.

In your shoes, I would leave the unit as is. If it starts to develop signs of lack of grease, i.e., noises and vibrations, then consider stripping it down.
I thought about Mobil 28 for my hub motor gears but it IS Very expensive. I was able to get Mobilith SHC 220 for a reasonable £11 and this is also completely synthetic. The Amazon review had just one comment.... I use it on my Bosch nylon gear!

u1v1w1

Pedelecer
Sep 23, 2020
I got a reply from Comma regarding the CV Lith-Moly grease :-
--------------------------------
Our CV Lith-Moly Grease is mineral oil based and therefore we do not recommend for use with polymers or plastics
--------------------------------
So it turns out I've a full tub of the stuff I can't stick in my motor.
I guess I'll have to get some mobil28 or Aeroshell22 or any others?
Strangely semi-synthetic Molykote pg-75 which contains mineral oil was recommended by performancelinebearings.com
According to this file mineral oil has better load carrying capacity compared to synthetic.

Attachments