Best choice?

DR2501

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2014
Hi, I'm new to the forum although I've been looking around quite a bit - my name's Duane and I'm in Bristol.

I'm wanting to buy an e-bike ASAP but can't seem to decide so I was hoping people could help and make some suggestions please. Budget-wise I'm looking to spend up to £800 max, preferably less. I don't mind buying a refurb providing it has a warranty and its a good deal.

About me I'm 5'5" tall and weight just over 12 stone. I will be using the bike for my daily commute which is 6 miles each way on the Bristol-Bath cycle path, so some hills, all tarmac, no traffic lights to worry about (well, 1 set). I want a good all-round bike that is fairly quick, will tackle the hills, has a good range and doesn't look too much like an e-bike. I want a step-over frame and a non-folder. I'd like it to have at least the option of mud guards (not plastic crud style) and a pannier rack if possible, fitted would be better. I like the look of the Woosh range of bikes as the prices are reasonable (although I don't want cheap components so that I have to buy again straight away. Woosh seem to get good reviews so I'm sure this isn't the case). Any thoughts? Or any others I should consider within budget?

Any replies and suggestions gratefully received, thanks!

D

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you don't have much choice under £800.

Woosh Sirocco: £585 - 10AH battery, it will do the job.

If you can stretch your budget a little, then Woosh Sirocco CD: £819 is much better. It has 15AH battery and crank drive, that means much better hill climbing and range (50-60 miles on a full charge). The CD has good reviews.

Good luck.

D

Deleted member 4366

.....although I don't want cheap components so that I have to buy again straight away.
D
This business of cheap components needing to e replaced straight away is a myth. Woosh is a reputable seller, and they've been going for a fair while. If they had to keep replacing parts, it would put them out of business with their small profit margins. Don't forget that they offer 12 months warranty. I think that their crank-drive (CD) bikes would be good for the Bristol hills, or their Big Bear that has extra torque.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
or go self build route, cheap donor bike and a kit.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Ideally I would try a few bikes out to see what ride feels good. Good luck with search.

DR2501

Apr 1, 2014
This business of cheap components needing to e replaced straight away is a myth. Woosh is a reputable seller, and they've been going for a fair while. If they had to keep replacing parts, it would put them out of business with their small profit margins. Don't forget that they offer 12 months warranty. I think that their crank-drive (CD) bikes would be good for the Bristol hills, or their Big Bear that has extra torque.
Sorry I edited earlier so that my post didn't appear to suggest that Woosh used cheap components.

DR2501

Apr 1, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I can up my budget, are there noticeably better bikes for a little more out there? I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £1k though. Thanks

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you won't find much better than Woosh Big Bear or Sirocco CD among the Chinese bikes.
The £1495 Kalkhoff Proconnect Xion 24 is excellent for commuting but perhaps a bit too big for your height.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
There are several bike shops in Bristol. All will give you test rides. You need to do this to confirm what works for you. Then remember a bike you can pedal with the power off will run reality easy with the assist on.
There are a few on eBay and some of the dealers here have offers ex display etc.
I am also tempted by the whoosh bikes but went for a BH who do good but pricy machines.
I am also in Bristol if you need extra help.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Thanks for the replies. I can up my budget, are there noticeably better bikes for a little more out there? I wouldn't be prepared to pay more than £1k though. Thanks
Can you stretch to £1095.00...the Kudos Tornado would do you well,it's got the BTM motor for good hill climbing,Alivio gearing and Shimano disc brakes. Tom at the London Electric Bike Company has the Tornado plus 40 other bikes for testing,it's a nice day out with a test circuit inside the grounds of Hampton Court....don't worry you won't lose your head.
One of our Scottish customers has done a review on the Kudos Typhoon bike elsewhere on this forum,the Typhoon is a 29er version of the Tornado.
Amongst those test bikes are some sexy bikes so it's a nice day out.
KudosDave

Last edited:

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Can you stretch to £1095.00...the Kudos Tornado would do you well,it's got the BTM motor for good hill climbing,Alivio gearing and Shimano disc brakes. Tom at the London Electric Bike Company has the Tornado plus 40 other bikes for testing,it's a nice day out with a test circuit inside the grounds of Hampton Court....don't worry you won't lose your head.
One of our Scottish customers has done a review on the Kudos Typhoon bike elsewhere on this forum,the Typhoon is a 29er version of the Tornado.
Amongst those test bikes are some sexy bikes so it's a nice day out.
KudosDave
dr2501 is only 5ft 5, the Typhoon is too big. The Tornado may do it but he'll need to add mudguard, lights, rack. That pushes the price near the Xion 24 and the Xion has hydraulic brakes. I was thinking of suggesting the Vita which is well within his budget but Bristol has some serious hills, reducing the choice to powerful hubs or crank drives and there is not much to choose from for under £1000 besides the Woosh Big Bear and Sirocco CD. The Big Bear has 20" frame, so it may be too big for the OP.

Last edited:

DR2501

Apr 1, 2014
dr2501 is only 5ft 5, the Typhoon is too big. The Tornado may do it but he'll need to add mudguard, lights, rack. That pushes the price near German bikes. I was thinking of suggesting the Vita which is well within his budget but Bristol has some serious hills, I was considering only good climbers and there is not much to choose from for under £1000.
The cycle path route I take isn't that bad for hills in fairness, and I have other bikes for leisure riding so this will be a pure commuting bike.
Ha you're right I wouldn't buy a 29er though because I'm too short :/
What's the Vita like?

D

Deleted member 4366

The Cobra has not as much torque as the Big Bear or Tornado. The CD models also climb well with lower power because of the lower gearing. They can be derestricted, which gives them a fair turn of speed with someone of your weight.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the Vita is nowhere near as good as the Tornado. The Tornado is a very good bike, I tried it last year.
Member cottonpicker bought a Tornado, we did not hear much from him recently.
I thought the Tornado was the best seller last year wasn't it? and probably still is (question to kudosdave).

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
The cycle path route I take isn't that bad for hills in fairness, and I have other bikes for leisure riding so this will be a pure commuting bike.
Ha you're right I wouldn't buy a 29er though because I'm too short :/
What's the Vita like?
dR2501...the Vita/Tornado/Cobra/Arriba are all the same size 26" wheeled bikes,the frame size is good for your height. To try to summarise,the Vita and Cobra have the SWX motor,which is best described as the most popular motor used in the e-bike world. The Tornado and Arriba have the BPM motor which has been designed to offer low speed-high torque motor ideal for steep hill climbing. The Tornado is a speed sensor (turn pedals-get power),the Arriba is a torque sensor(put power in-get power out).
If your riding is average hills then the SWX motor should do your job fine,but if riding up Park Street a lot then go for the BPM motor.
All these bikes are available for testing at the London Electric Bike Company,West London together with 30 plus other bikes. It really is sensible to travel to have a wide choice,nothing worse than buying the wrong bike. The Vita is available exclusively from the LEBC and is good value including lights and mudguards at £695.00 incl vat.
Enjoy the search process.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
the Vita is nowhere near as good as the Tornado. The Tornado is a very good bike, I tried it last year.
Member cottonpicker bought a Tornado, we did not hear much from him recently.
I thought the Tornado was the best seller last year wasn't it? and probably still is (question to kudosdave).
Yes,apart from the Secret folder.
KudosDave

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
I've been 'playing' on a Kudos Typhoon for a couple of weeks and put a review on here in the ebike review section. If the Tornado is the smaller version, I think you'd like it. The Typhoon can climb steep hills with a little assistance from you. It can climb not so steep hills with very little assistance from you. Try one and see but if it fits you it's a good bike.

You can find the review on the Typhoon here http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/kudos-typhoon.17295/

DR2501

Apr 1, 2014
OK thanks, I'll have a look. I like the sound of the BPM motor, any other decent bikes with that motor that I should consider?

Thanks again for all the help.