Big or small

sil4ps

Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2013
london north
Hi All,
I've gone from wanting a super duper 3000W motor that can take me 15 miles of commuting in 30 minutes to considering a 250W or 500W motor with a big enough battery to get me there and possibly back but i can charge at work no problem.

At first i was amazed at the claims of 45, 50, 60, 70 +km / hour twin 1000W motors 3000W motors, I have a motorcycle but find taxing/mot / service/ petrol/ insurance for the little i use it becoming more of a hassle so the ebike sounded amazing.

I also love cycling and used to do the journey regularly but age, kids, weather and HILLS have worn me down. I now don't do the commute and it bothers me.

So after all the research and help from everyone I think a smaller motor with a battery that can sustain 20mph for 15 miles each way but can charge at work no probs and pedaling with my help to get me up some big hills will be great.

So do i go for a 250-350W with 36v15ah battery or a 500W with a 48W 20ah battery

Also i'm tempted with front wheel motor as i like the ease of installing and removing but happy to go for rear if the general concensus is that it's better.

I don't want something that will become tedious (slow and lacking power) after the initial excitement but i also don't want something unwieldly, impractical unreliable and ultimately dangerous on the road. Although 70km/hour on a bicycle does sound fun.

Again thanks for all the input and help.