Bike conversion

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hello to you all
This is my fist post so please take it easy on me
I have mongoose tylex elite that I want to convert and I'm thinking of getting the oxydrive kit but not sure what one to get.
I only want it for pleasure use, some road and some forest tracks, I live in the Forest of Dean and we do have a good few hills around here and lots of forest tracks
I weigh about 80kg
Will this kit fit my bike?, I made a template of the battery size and it looks like that will fit the frame if I go for the bottle type, or will the rear rack type be a better bet?
And any info on how to make the breaks work will be a great help.

Thanks to all for any help
Steve

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
Hello to you all
This is my fist post so please take it easy on me
I have mongoose tylex elite that I want to convert and I'm thinking of getting the oxydrive kit but not sure what one to get.
I only want it for pleasure use, some road and some forest tracks, I live in the Forest of Dean and we do have a good few hills around here and lots of forest tracks
I weigh about 80kg
Will this kit fit my bike?, I made a template of the battery size and it looks like that will fit the frame if I go for the bottle type, or will the rear rack type be a better bet?
And any info on how to make the breaks work will be a great help.

Thanks to all for any help
Steve
I saw on the website the 13 ah 36v kit was on special for I think 599,I've got this on a 700c bike and am very happy with it,I find the bottle battery much easier than the design on a kalkhoff I tried,afraid I don't experience other oxydrive kits

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014
I saw on the website the 13 ah 36v kit was on special for I think 599,I've got this on a 700c bike and am very happy with it,I find the bottle battery much easier than the design on a kalkhoff I tried,afraid I don't experience other oxydrive kits
I worried about the breaks too,I have a bike with combination brake levers gear change,in the end I added it as an extra lever but I sincerely never use it,cutting electricity manually is never an issue,the little run on when one stops peddling is not an issue for me

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes, it'll be OK. It's a bit slower than the bigger motor in the 13AH kit, but it's also lighter. Plus we need someone to try it because we've never seen a review of the new middle-sized Bafang CST. It should be pretty good because it's a later development. It would be better to use the downtube battery if it fits.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Thanks for that.
Do you think it will be ok on the hills, it's not the speed I want just some help on the hills.

D

Deleted member 4366

You're only 80kg, so any motor should be OK. It's only if you have exception hills, like 25% (1 in 4), that you need to run much higher current.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
How often do oxydrive have a sale on?, not sure I can afford the kit at the moment just had to spend £300.00 on the car
Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
They had a mega baragin/value sale in January and since then kits have been on and off sale since a few times. Another good value kit to consider are the Woosh 20a BPM's.

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Hi
Another thing, what room do I need when I remove the battery from the frame, if anyone can show me a pic with the battery just about to come off that will be a great help
Steve

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Little room is needed the Oxy battery only needs 18mm to slide forward off the cradle and less then 10mm for lifting vertically.
Edited as just checked needs 18mm to slide off cradle.

Last edited:

STEVEMANFA

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 27, 2015
Forest of Dean
Thanks for the info, best take another look with my template just to make sure I have room, if not I may have to go with a front motor with a rear rack and battery, it don't look like you can have a rear motor and battery from oxydrive and I take it that's because all the weight will be on the rear end.

D

Deleted member 4366

I didn't measure the Oxydrive one, but the 09 battery has a very similar mechanism. I measured it as 20mm perpendicular to the frame and 25mm in parallel to the frame.