Bike for heavy user

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go to ebike shop have a test ride and then offer 60% of the rrp for that bike as it is now used.

there has never been a bike for sale with 40% off the latest model so he dont pass on that discount if a bike is returned and then resold.

• :D
Reactions: Fat Rat and Woosh

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Bike Base have said any haibike should be fine. Just saw the trek powerfly 5 .he said would do it for £2300 with bigger rear tyres down from 2700.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
which bikes have you tried from Bike Base?

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
which bikes have you tried from Bike Base?
They have just spoken to the rep and advised I am too heavy for them. But they have recommended the Wisper wolf carbon hairdtail ( not in stock but very high spec they say with carbon frame and rated to 145kg). Just about to go out on the giant dirt e+ plus 2 pro which they say rated to 125kg (I'll be down to that soon anyway) bit the rep says they're apparently tested to 170kg and have a lifetime warranty on the frame.

• Informative
Reactions: Fat Rat

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the rep says they're apparently tested to 170kg and have a lifetime warranty on the frame.
ask if they guarantee on red runs.
At the moment, I'd say the offer of the Trek is pretty competitive.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
ask if they guarantee on red runs.
At the moment, I'd say the offer of the Trek is pretty competitive.
Apparently they're good with the guarantee and if I had a problem I'd be likely to get it fixed. Problem is do they care? And do they just say anything to get a sale... I think I could also notice a sizeable difference in power between the motors. With the Giant being quite a bit more powerful than the Trek. Not quite the same hills here but blasted up pier hill and on the flats barely had to even peddle.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
which bike climbs Pier Hill fastest that you have tried?

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
which bike climbs Pier Hill fastest that you have tried?
I only tried the giant up pier hill. The trek I tried up a 14% hill in leigh and whilst I did struggle a bit , I made it up which is something in itself. Pier hill isn't as steep but to me it felt like it had more power. Even on the flats I was barely pedalling. Its meant to be a Yamaha pw-x motor isn't it?

I liked both bikes to be honest, hard to form a real opinion cycling on roads. The giant was definitely noisier , but that doesn't bother me at all. I even quite like the sound of the motor whirring.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that sound pretty positive for the PW-X.
Were you on highest assist on the Trek?

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
Ye I used the highest levels on both. Would be great to try two simultaneous runs up leigh hill with both bikes though.

Also liked the dropper seat the Giant comes with, although obviously I could just add one to the Trek.

The basic price on both is similar. 2700 for the trek and 2899 ish for the giant. But surely a few hundred off deal to be done on that.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Do you really not see the Giant being up to it Woosh?
these motors are tuned a bit differently.

If you look at the motor output chart in the comparative review (the Brose was an old model):

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...rison-chart-bosch-yamaha-shimano-brose.14085/

the Yamaha is strong at 70 rpm, the Bosch at 90 rpm.
the Brose has a near perfectly flat response but too low torque (they have since upped the power), the Shimano follows a simlilar profile as the Bosch CX, 90 rpm to squeeze the pips out of the motor (they have also upped the power with the E8000 series).

Motors this year are much of a muchness, all around 80NM except some rare models that are not easy to find.
It's a shame that I don't do the BBS02 and BBSHD, otherwise, you'd see what e-bikes can do for you for much less than £1400 leave alone £2,400.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
They don't seem to be used on any off the shelf bike though. I'm steering towards the Giant if i can get a few hundred off. Can I upgrade forks etc down the line?

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
these motors are tuned a bit differently.

If you look at the motor output chart in the comparative review (the Brose was an old model):

https://electricbikereview.com/foru...rison-chart-bosch-yamaha-shimano-brose.14085/

the Yamaha is strong at 70 rpm, the Bosch at 90 rpm.
the Brose has a near perfectly flat response but too low torque (they have since upped the power), the Shimano follows a simlilar profile as the Bosch CX, 90 rpm to squeeze the pips out of the motor (they have also upped the power with the E8000 series).

Motors this year are much of a muchness, all around 80NM except some rare models that are not easy to find.
It's a shame that I don't do the BBS02 and BBSHD, otherwise, you'd see what e-bikes can do for you for much less than £1400 leave alone £2,400.
Here we go again Woosh talking absolute crap!
That graph is at least 2 years out of date, Yamaha recognised the problem of low cadence years ago! A BBSHD is not legal!

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Here we go again Woosh talking absolute crap!
That graph is at least 2 years out of date, Yamaha recognised the problem of low cadence years ago! A BBSHD is not legal!
have you got a more up to date one?
as for the BBSHD, whether it's legal or not, it's up to the importer to decide, not you nor me.
BTW, insults don't contribute anything to the thread.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
from the link i posted above the giant has 320% max assist and the bosch 300% so no wonder it feels a bit more powerful in max assist modes climbing.

tho this will mean the giant will eat more batt power over the bosch system.

spec wise the giant is fine bar that color and low to mid end forks that could be changed down the road and it comes with a dropper post.

id still go for a full sus for a bit more, did you try one ? but it is up to you at the end of the day what ebike system you prefer.

Jamie82

Pedelecer
Jul 4, 2013
To be honest it's pushing my budget already without full sus. I did sit on one and didn't like the feel, maybe because I'm not used to it.

I personally like the colour!