Bike Insurance

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
I just talked to the AA who provide my home insurance and it cost me £26 to include my bike up to April. They said electric bikes are no different from standard bikes as long as they are worth less than £1500. It's covered as long as it's indoors or locked to a permanent fitting when it's outdoors (i.e. tree, fence...). Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Thought this may be useful to someone out there. If you have good insurance or any useful information let me know, I may switch in the future.

Thanks.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
That really is very cheap indeed! Cycleguard seem be considerably more expensive. Was it a seperate policy you took out or part of your existing home insurance policy ?

Also, does the £1500 limit include accessories or just the bike ?

oobs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2006
As I got rid of my car, I had a redundant rescue policy with the ETA (Environment Transport Association). I have changed this to a cycle rescue policy. I can now call them up if I get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a puncture and they will come and pick up me and the bike and take me wherever. Cost - £26 - £70 a year or thereabouts depending on what options you go for. www.eta.co.uk

aroncox

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2006
It was an add-on (section 3) to my home contents insurance, and included anything outside of the house, so it covered more than just the bike. I am renting so I don;t have building insurance just minimal contents insurance.

That really is very cheap indeed! Cycleguard seem be considerably more expensive. Was it a seperate policy you took out or part of your existing home insurance policy ?

Also, does the £1500 limit include accessories or just the bike ?

mithril

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2006
Clay Cross, Derbyshire
oobs, just been looking on the ETA website and was going to get a quote for insurance (am also considering their breakdown cover). They ask for the name of the person (and their ETA number if available) who recommended ETA to you. If supplied that person may get £10 and the new customer also gets a discount.

It might be worthwhile posting your name here if you're comfortable with that - you might get a few quid!

As I got rid of my car, I had a redundant rescue policy with the ETA (Environment Transport Association). I have changed this to a cycle rescue policy. I can now call them up if I get stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a puncture and they will come and pick up me and the bike and take me wherever. Cost - £26 - £70 a year or thereabouts depending on what options you go for. www.eta.co.uk

oobs

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 30, 2006
It might be worthwhile posting your name here if you're comfortable with that - you might get a few quid!
I can cope with that. ;) Thanks for the tip off. My name is Ben Oubridge and my ETA number is 10202609

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Personal Liability Insurance

Has anyone taken out the personal liability insurance that cycleguard offers? I am considering taking it out to cover myself in todays world of sueing over nothing. It will cost £26 a year for £1m of cover.

What do people think?

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
I always read the small print just once. What do you think this means?

"You must take all reasonable care to comply with all statutory obligations and regulations imposed by any statutory, regulatory, or government authority."

Do you think that that might mean that if you injured someone whilst riding on the pavement, you wouldnt be insured?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that would nullify the insurance, as would any other breach of the law relating to cycling.

Another thing worth checking is the status of riding off a public road. There are private road sections, privately owned drives, forecourts, car parks etc which you might find yourself riding on and where you could accidentally injure someone or damage property.

pgbw

Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2007
The big problem we found with cycleguard is that you are very constrained as to which locks you can use. Basically, we couldn't find acceptable locks.

The ETA seem to have more sensible cycle-centric insurance, and the rescue service seems ideal for commuters, especially the puncture rescue (costs extra).

If you just want liability insurance, it may be best to join CTC Home!