BikeBiz story about eBikes.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A Spedelec (which most manufacturers - including KTM) has a larger motor but is restricted to a higher limit. Spedelec needs to be registered plated and insured.
They don't add a bigger motor to an S-pedelec, they just change the programming. The motors are identical I believe.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
All cars that can exceed 70mph should be BANNED from being sold or imported into this country, it is ILLEGAL to go over 70mph, all dealers should be closed down if they do so, why own a car that does 140mph or 160mph when you can't drive it that fast. They should also close down all tyre retailers that sell tyres that are built for speeds over 70mph as these are aiding and abetting illegal speeds by cars, why have a S rated tyre at 113mph and V rated tyre at 149mph, never mind Z,W and Y at 186mph!!! The 4x4 brigade are ripping up cycle tracks with their illegally chipped monster trucks and normal cars are racing me away from the traffic lights, its not a level playing field, as a cyclist the roads are as much mine as a cars, we need to get tough in this country and ALL electric cycles should be permitted to go a lot faster for safety reasons. Just my 2ps worth, off on the bike for a cycle now :)

Last edited:
All cars that can exceed 70mph should be BANNED from being sold or imported into this country, it is ILLEGAL to go over 70mph, all dealers should be closed down if they do so, why own a car that does 140mph or 160mph when you can't drive it that fast. They should also close down all tyre retailers that sell tyres that are built for speeds over 70mph as these are aiding and abetting illegal speeds by cars, why have a S rated tyre at 113mph and V rated tyre at 149mph, never mind Z,W and Y at 186mph!!! The 4x4 brigade are ripping up cycle tracks with their illegally chipped monster trucks and normal cars are racing me away from the traffic lights, its not a level playing field, as a cyclist the roads are as much mine as a cars, we need to get tough in this country and ALL electric cycles should be permitted to go a lot faster for safety reasons. Just my 2ps worth, off on the bike for a cycle now :)
All this post does is show how little you understand the issues involved. You can roll out of a dealership in a 200mph car, and as long as you've taxed it and insured if you can legally use it anywhere.

If you buy a dongled Ebike as soon as you roll out of the dealership you are breaking multiple laws and the dealer has themselves broken trading standard laws, by selling a non CE certified prouduct and in pretty much all cases not explaining the law correctly.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
All this post does is show how little you understand the issues involved. You can roll out of a dealership in a 200mph car, and as long as you've taxed it and insured if you can legally use it anywhere.

If you buy a dongled Ebike as soon as you roll out of the dealership you are breaking multiple laws and the dealer has themselves broken trading standard laws, by selling a non CE certified prouduct and in pretty much all cases not explaining the law correctly.
My point is what are the retailers doing wrong when selling the dongles, its not illegal is it? They could be used on private land, the loss of warranty is down to the buyer.

So you can roll out of a cycle shop with a bike fitted with a dongle as long as you don't use it in a public place or where the public have access, is that right? If so what business is it of yours to try and destroy peoples reputation when they are doing nothing illegal, if you have an issue lobby the government and get them to bring in a law to make possession of a 'Class A' dongle an offence ;-) What about chipped cars, what is the difference, are you going to take that on next?

There are people blown out of the sky and killed and someone is worried about a dongle, some people need to get a real perspective on what is really important in life!

My point is what are the retailers doing wrong when selling the dongles, its not illegal is it? They could be used on private land, the loss of warranty is down to the buyer.

So you can roll out of a cycle shop with a bike fitted with a dongle as long as you don't use it in a public place or where the public have access, is that right? If so what business is it of yours to try and destroy peoples reputation when they are doing nothing illegal, if you have an issue lobby the government and get them to bring in a law to make possession of a 'Class A' dongle an offence ;-) What about chipped cars, what is the difference, are you going to take that on next?

There are people blown out of the sky and killed and someone is worried about a dongle, some people need to get a real perspective on what is really important in life!
Have you read my letter, because you are missing all the points we and the industry as a whole are calling for by quite some way?

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Yes I did glance through it all, but its clear you are now a man on a mission (excuse me if you female but you get the idea) and you don't want anything or anyone to get in your way. I agree about the issue and what it may or may not lead to, but the way your are doing it publicly is wrong in my opinion and there must be other ways. You can't go attacking people who are doing nothing wrong legally, it could come back and bite you, all in my opinion of course

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Just because something is not illegal does not mean you can't take a moral stance around it. Plus - as a very general rule I like to have things out in the open - free speech and all that. My stance remains that these things will be sold so let dealers or anybody sell them (it is not illegal to sell them) - but when they are being sold - as a mater of integrity - one should declare accurately where exactly they may be used legally.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Just because something is not illegal does not mean you can't take a moral stance around it. Plus - as a very general rule I like to have things out in the open - free speech and all that. My stance remains that these things will be sold so let dealers or anybody sell them (it is not illegal to sell them) - but when they are being sold - as a mater of integrity - one should declare accurately where exactly they may be used legally.
What about being free to sell what you want as long as its not illegal, what about people being free to put own a dongle if they want? Seems its all one sided as long as it suits the agenda.

I am sure that anyone asking for a dongle sure as hell knows the implications of putting one on, there is a very good section on this website that makes the law very clear. Maybe you shouldn't treat dongle buyers as fools who are clueless, it seems they have a lot more excitement in their lives than keyboard tappers with agendas :)

Reactions: robdon

robdon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 5, 2013
Maybe you shouldn't treat dongle buyers as fools who are clueless, it seems they have a lot more excitement in their lives than keyboard tappers with agendas :)

well said,
ROB

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Yes I did glance through it all, but its clear you are now a man on a mission (excuse me if you female but you get the idea)...
...I've met girls called Lee, Billie and Stevie, and blokes called Leslie and Tracy.

I've never heard of a lady called Colin.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tho tbh i could get a s pedelec from ktm if i wanted 1 ;)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
t seems they have a lot more excitement in their lives than keyboard tappers with agendas :)
Well the agenda I would think - is the concern for the runination of his market place - which I would imagine is a genuine concern for him. As somebody who runs a business myself I can understand that.

As a consumer I say let them sell them - with clear guidance as to the legal situation.

Reactions: nmsraider
What about being free to sell what you want as long as its not illegal, what about people being free to put own a dongle if they want? Seems its all one sided as long as it suits the agenda.

I am sure that anyone asking for a dongle sure as hell knows the implications of putting one on, there is a very good section on this website that makes the law very clear. Maybe you shouldn't treat dongle buyers as fools who are clueless, it seems they have a lot more excitement in their lives than keyboard tappers with agendas :)
Selling a Ebike with a dongle on it breaks trading standards laws because it removes the CE certificate and its classification as a bicycle... So it is illegal! Which is why we think the prestige brands shouldn't be supporting it.

Also if you'd read my letter you'll see that my primary concern is an attempt to prevent the imminent and in the words of some in the industry I've spoken to this week "inevitable" banning of ebikes from all forestry commission land, national parks and Mtb events. We have to be seen to self police this before access is pulled, if we don't it'll be too late. We've been silently trying behind the scenes for 3 years, so if you can suggest another way, I'm all years. But just for your information this is working.

I exchanged emails with the MD of Scott UK today and we will talk on the phone on Monday.

I have no interest in destroying anyone's business, it's actually sustaining everyone's business I'm interested in.

And if you think my life isn't exciting because I'm tapping away on this keyboard, again ... In afraid you're wrong again :)

The joys of mobile phone access and wifi means I'm posting this from a bar in Florence, whilst waiting for my next ammeretto.

Reactions: OxygenJames

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i wonder if martin sold mobility scooters he sell dongles with them pmsl

3. Driving on the road

You can only drive on the road in a class 3 invalid carriage. The maximum speed is 8mph.

You can’t drive on bus lanes, ‘cycle only’ lanes or motorways. You should avoid using dual carriageways with a speed limit of over 50mph.

You must use an amber flashing light for visibility if you use a class 3 invalid carriage on a dual carriageway.

so you will need a dongle going down the dual carriageways as need go min of 50mph ;)

appyarry

Pedelecer
Mar 16, 2015
Lyminge, Kent
I've never heard of a lady called Colin.
My Grandkids call their Great Grandmother Nana Colin, now she is happy to be called Colin.
It takes all sorts :) Though the point that selling one form of transport that can break the law is not a problem, but selling a bicycle that "Could" break the law is a problem, then it seems a little overkill to me. My POV is sell the bike as long as it meets the law WRT safety and if the owner speeds or drives dangerously then they have to pay the price in Law. Bullets don't kill people it's the person who aims and fires the gun. I don't advocate an American style of gun law but I don't see any reason why the whole should suffer for the actions of a few.

Ta,

Reactions: Alan Quay

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I have the answer, and that is going back to the very beginning, put the onus on the manufacturers to build bikes that are tamper proof and NOT capable of being dongled, EASY. SO I suggest that you contact all of the manufacturers and work together to come up with a way of doing this, it can't be hard, I am sure Bosch have the technology as they helped VW didn't they, albeit the other way round from what I read on here.

It is up to the manufacturers to police their industry to protect it, to sell goods that can be tampered with is their problem, they need to sort it out. I have never seen a Mercedes Smart eBike doing 30 never mind 40mph, mind you I haven't taken it to Derbyshire yet :)

Nice to see that there are a few people with a life on here, I would hate to think I had joined a forum full of boring old farts with dongles on their shoulders, I am rehabilitating and want to get back into cycling, my mind is much younger than my age so I need a little help from technology. If I could get a bike that could be dongled and it help me keep up with the youngsters then I would do it, maybe there should be a minimum age to use a dongle like 65yrs and you have to register as a user with palm print readers built into the grips to show you are riding. Oh dear, I'm thinking too much about your problems, go to go....nurse.....nurse.....!

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I have the answer, and that is going back to the very beginning, put the onus on the manufacturers to build bikes that are tamper proof and NOT capable of being dongled, EASY.
If I could get a bike that could be dongled and it help me keep up with the youngsters then I would do it,
hmm I did wonder about the smart bit. I already had the impression you weren't that smart.

Reactions: EddiePJ