BikeBiz story about eBikes.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
hmm I did wonder about the smart bit. I already had the impression you weren't that smart.
:) I think you will find I am smart, look at the deal I got on my Smart eBike, albeit by mistake, but at least I'm sharing the good fortune as it continues to help others.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I have the answer, and that is going back to the very beginning, put the onus on the manufacturers to build bikes that are tamper proof and NOT capable of being dongled, EASY.
How would you do that then? its 'EASY' until you think about it for a few seconds.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
All cars that can exceed 70mph should be BANNED from being sold or imported into this country, it is ILLEGAL to go over 70mph,
Well, cause an accident when driving at much faster than the speed limit, and then see if your insurance covers you for the damage to your car and others.

I don't believe the electric bikes are limited to a top speed in the UK anyway (only assistance is), so not sure about the comparison.

Progress.... I've just seen a letter from Raleigh UK which is exactly what we requested from them. Key words from the last few lines are:

With immediate effect Raleigh UK ask that all stockists of Raleigh, Koga and Haibike Electric provide clear and proactive information on de-regulation for your customers both on your website and instore. This information must make the legal, safety and warranty implications of riding de-restricted bikes illegally very clear and should be displayed prominently i.e. on your website home page not in hidden in FAQs and on the counter not under the counter in-store.

In addition with immediate effect, Raleigh UK reserves the right to de-list any stockist found to be fitting or selling derestriction devices to consumers for use on UK public roads / cycle paths / trails.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
So there'll be an opening for that new Halibike dealer that Eddie alluded to.

Some more words from Raleigh / Haibike:

In addition Raleigh UK categorically condems the illegal riding of de-restricted electric bikes. Riding a derestricted electric bicycle that hasn’t been through the proper type approval (not to mention insurance, licensing, registration etc) in a public place, is illegal. In the eyes of the law it will be treated as a motorised vehicle. It will endanger your safety and that of other road users, risking accidents as a result of this tuning, as well as steep fines, prosecution and the risk having your driving licence taken away. We take our duty of care in this matter very seriously and will be undertaking a series of consumer communications initiatives to ensure that people are aware of the facts, the risks but also the great fun they can have with Raleigh UK Electric bikes when they are ridden safely, responsible and legally. More information on this campaign will follow in due course

nmsraider

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 6, 2015
Oh my, reading this thread and a lot of others related has got me thinking.... how sad some of you really are ? or is all this for another reason maybe ?
I know one thing I was open minded about what kind of ebike I wanted to get, and from which dealer, but after reading all this tosh legal this legal that, cant ride anywhere in the UK bla bla bla.
I personally don't care about the legal side of it nor do I care for you to reply to why I should care or I am missing the point, if I as a customer want something I will look for somebody who sells it, simple as that.
Some of the comments I have seen on here just seem to me as targeted bullying and border line slander.

Reactions: robdon

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Oh my, reading this thread and a lot of others related has got me thinking.... how sad some of you really are ? or is all this for another reason maybe ?
I know one thing I was open minded about what kind of ebike I wanted to get, and from which dealer, but after reading all this tosh legal this legal that, cant ride anywhere in the UK bla bla bla.
I personally don't care about the legal side of it nor do I care for you to reply to why I should care or I am missing the point, if I as a customer want something I will look for somebody who sells it, simple as that.
Some of the comments I have seen on here just seem to me as targeted bullying and border line slander.
He who hath no sin cast the first stone (comes to mind). Hey ho. Here we go. Now where did I put my rifle?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
you`re not far wide of the mark there my friend,

or to cut to the chase here,

One Ebike dealers Till going `Kerrchinggg`

while another Ebike dealers Till gathers cobwebs

hence the hissy fit, and if i were on the lookout for my first e-mtnbike i would give certain elements a very wide berth after reading this thread.

When you start up in any business, e-bike or otherwise the last thing you want to do is project negativity about your product.

Most people can do this by keeping their gob closed at certain key moments, others just can`t help themselves.

Isn`t it about time a mod done ebiking a favour and closed this thread, i feel like i`m back at school again being talked down to by some hideous overbearing schoolmaster.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
so you think its fair ebike shop can honer a warranty with a dongle when no other dealer can?

its crystal clear on the bosch site that tuning dongles void warranty.

yet martin can get new motors how? he has never answer that question.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
so you think its fair ebike shop can honer a warranty with a dongle when no other dealer can?

To be fair to Martin, this thread hasn't been about that, and he could just be honouring warranty claims by paying for any motor repairs etc himself, which doesn't concern anyone else. Or it could just be that he hasn't had any motor issues that needed solving. ;)

Col has gone a long way to achieving his goal, so perhaps it is time for the rest of us to let the thread sink, and hope that any update that Col makes to his campaign is a positive one.

Enjoy the weekend everyone, and roll on tomorrow morning's wet and muddy sportive :)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ed there is now way on this planet he is replacing motors out of his own pocket.

or he would of just said that to me long ago and every 1 else imo

and not banned me on face book for asking same q???

nmsraider

Nov 6, 2015

See again a direct comment to a ebike shop dealer ?

Now I know I am new here but your signature does say you have a badass thingy migiggy.

I am sure I am not alone in saying this but stand corrected if I am, I really don't care what one dealer will honour or how he does it or even try to call him out.... get him in trouble on a public page.

I for example bought a new van t5 sportline but wanted it remapped. I know this will invalidate the warranties and any claims should the worst happen but is the dealer to blame in this? should this dealer be called out on every post on the forum?
No .. we are big boys here (Some a little bigger than others hence the need for a ebike)
Maybe 1 point that could be agreed with is that the option should be fully explained to customers who are not not familiar with the UK laws or clearly maked on the web page that it will be illegal and MI5 will be hunting us down for it.

On a side note I haven't ordered my bike yet and am still looking but from reading on this forum I now find myself wanting to buy from ebike shop I don't know why or cant explain it but all this keyboard talk from dealers quoting the law... makes me think get a life!!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
On a side note I haven't ordered my bike yet and am still looking but from reading on this forum I now find myself wanting to buy from ebike shop.

thats because you want dongle and warranty as told my m8 to get 1 from ebike shop 3 weeks ago.

because he wanted a dongle end off and warranty.

so like you, well there u go ;)

nmsraider

Nov 6, 2015
On a side note I haven't ordered my bike yet and am still looking but from reading on this forum I now find myself wanting to buy from ebike shop.

thats because you want dongle and warranty as told my m8 to get 1 from ebike shop 3 weeks ago.

because he wanted a dongle end off and warranty.

so like you, well there u go ;)
Sorry I am having trouble de ciphering your reply ?
Are you saying you recommend said dealer or not ?
To me I don't care if I have to fit it my self or dealer fit one way or another its getting done.
And the choice is not based on warranties its more what model and make to go for, currently thinking haibike downhill pro

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want warranty then get it from martin asap.

if you dont mind voiding the warranty then get it from Germany and save a few quid.

the point is its not fair on ktm and 99.9% of all other uk dealers that wont sell dongles let alone fit them as it voids the bosch warranty.

tho can they prove it ? no answer from any 1 on that 1 tho if you take out the batt so the system has no power at all there will be nothing there like a pc bios.

and tbh u will not need a dongle on that bike going down hill, u need a fkn force field ;)

nmsraider

Nov 6, 2015
if you want warranty then get it from martin asap.

if you dont mind voiding the warranty then get it from Germany and save a few quid.

the point is its not fair on ktm and 99.9% of all other uk dealers that wont sell dongles let alone fit them as it voids the bosch warranty.

tho can they prove it ? no answer from any 1 on that 1 tho if you take out the batt so the system has no power at all there will be nothing there like a pc bios.

and tbh u will not need a dongle on that bike going down hill, u need a fkn force field ;)
hahaha I know just like the idea of free uplift and on for example bike parks 3/4 of the way down a run my legs want to push no more the help of the motor to keep my speed and we generally do more than 15,5mph dh.. not quite as fit as I used to be... in fact I never was