Bionx kit in the UK

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
link to one thread but a few guys with same issues? and another with battery issue. also its early days, the dealers wont have a clue let alone the parts or the where with all to fix......examples of this in the thread I linked where Trek dealer had to take bits from other bike, and yes I know this is common practice but still......

BUT do you think BionX would be as responsive as wisper? my new battery on 905 seems to have less capacity in comparison to wife's 705. I checked this by charging both bikes over night, same return trip, no throttle, 705 still 4 lights on battery my bike had lost 2.... called wisper today, new battery by courier out to me this Friday, in time for cycling holiday to France Saturday.....

helmet on and head down now, ready from incoming attack from the wisper knockers! lol

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I have just read through some of the threads about Bionx on that forum. It is quite a mixed bag but one worry was one saying the guys at Bionx are not really interested if things go wrong and expect the local bike shop to sort it out. Not sure that will happen in the UK for some time as it is a new, niche product. Also I was reminded of the pulsing on/off when the bike reaches the cut off speed of 25kph.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Holiday?

Have a great holiday Eddie!

Hi Harry, I believe he Bionix motor is more powerful than is legal in the UK so will probably feel more powerful. We are working in power at the moment and we hopefully will be getting that little extra out of our 250W unit soon.

A little news on DaaHub by Wisper. All the little problems have now been sorted out and we will see it on the market in September.

I looks superb and rides beautifully now, it can also be fitted forward of the seat post tube or on the rear of the Seat post itself, so it will fit 90% of all bikes. We have also introduced a very simple suspension system so it can be used off road and fast! Lots more to come soon.

All the best

David

Scatty

Pedelecer
Jan 15, 2009
helmet on and head down now, ready from incoming attack from the wisper knockers! lol[/QUOTE]

Have a good holiday eddieo , watch out for them ;)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I have just read through some of the threads about Bionx on that forum. It is quite a mixed bag but one worry was one saying the guys at Bionx are not really interested if things go wrong and expect the local bike shop to sort it out. Not sure that will happen in the UK for some time as it is a new, niche product. Also I was reminded of the pulsing on/off when the bike reaches the cut off speed of 25kph.
At maybe twice the price of Ezee and wisper kit, this is a little of putting don't you think....... It is not a new system, and I appreciate you only hear when thinks go wrong, but at the price I would expect excellence in all departments.

H who is this wisper gezzer?:confused:

edit:

Dear Mr O

Thank you for your email.

Zyro have recently taken over the distribution of the Bionx range and will be distributing them to our stockists from mid June 2010. The final list of our stockists is not available as yet and would suggest visiting our website in mid June when this information will be availableIf you have any questions or queries please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

Last edited:

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
TBH I'm not particularly impressed with the way the Trek e-bikes are being marketed in the UK, particularly to the already fairly sceptical LBS sector - as well as the reliability issues being mentioned on the (US? forums), they don't seem to be providing enough info to either UK customers or shops, when the UK ebike market is becoming more and more ruthlessly competitive as it grows. Is their core market in another country?

One concern of mine is unlike Wisper or Ezee, small and lean companies with hard working directors where David or Wai Won's livelihood and that of their families depends on the success of e-bikes alone, companies like Giant and Trek are large corporates who make the bulk of their money from selling conventional push bikes and can easily walk away from a failed project...

the Trek bike looks like a decent bike, it just seems like the company isn't as serious/passionate about promoting them as it could be!

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Bionx kit itself certainly seems to have been popular (I remember reading about it on tech sites 5 or so years ago!) , the issue I see is the way its been added to the Trex with seemingly inadequate pre-and post-sales support, and a high price tag! it just looks like they could have done a much better job with this.. even basic stuff like the battery capacity is not listed there...

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Alex you are a bright lad, and correct re Trek but I would agree with Tex, I am sure BionX are passionate regards there product, in much the same way as wisper and ezee are I would fink:)

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
Trek actually make very good push bikes - ironically their specifications are virtually perfect with regard to the bike parts! I get the impression the core market of Bionx is mostly Canadian and American folk who have more money and want (and/or are allowed) more power at the expense of range.

Trek appears to be American though so they can't claim (much) of a language barrier with regard to not publishing the Bionx kit specs.

It just seems like a strange oversight to me considering the amount of money both companies must have put in to the project (and what about the reliability issues, which seem even stranger with Bionx being a tried and tested product :confused:). A simple brochure or email to all the stockists and more support from Bionx would surely give a better impression? unresolved issues however drag down the names of both brands.

IMO many of the British/European/Asian companies are actually way ahead of the Americans when it comes to making a reliable e-bike for everyday transport..

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Bionx kit itself certainly seems to have been popular (I remember reading about it on tech sites 5 or so years ago!) , the issue I see is the way its been added to the Trex with seemingly inadequate pre-and post-sales support, and a high price tag! it just looks like they could have done a much better job with this.. even basic stuff like the battery capacity is not listed there...

I found my LBS were quite good about explaining the Trek FX+ but I don't think that they were expecting to sell many. I found out all I needed to know about the bike from talking to them and the website - from memory the battery is 6.7Ah. As to the price - it is very cheap for a Bionx set up - in fact I would say compared to the price of the kit (£1600)it is fantastic and they probably throw the bike in for free.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the basic 250 kits (6 amp) are 1099 and 1299 retail so expect a bit of from that... the fx 7.3 is about £400? so I guess this is kit fitted to the trek e bikes? not the £1600 HT (10 amp)

You have put me of any way H:D because of your comments re the throttle and different panel. I thought it would just be a plug and play, like in their video but obviously a different set up:rolleyes:

so maybe the wisper deehub great name what! and a titanium or carbon bike. should easily be under 20 kg with a rack and mudguards. and it will probably be black:p

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
I am sure it is the ht version 'cos it is 36V.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I am sure it is the ht version 'cos it is 36V.
well in that case........... but the battery is it 6 or 10

I have emailed the supplier re throttles, don't hold your breath;)

edit:

they are quick to respond...

Dear Mr O

Thank you for your enquiry.

We will not be bringing in the Throttle kits to the UK.

If you have any more questions please feel free to contact us again.

Yours Sincerely

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
6.7Ah I believe

artyb

Just Joined
Mar 30, 2010
DaaHub

Hi,

Any more details, or anticipated timeline/costs? Geared, direct etc...?

Cheers,

A

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Daahub, by Wisper

Hi Arty

Yes DaaHub will (at last) be launched in September at Eurobike and will be available in UK shortly afterwards.

We are using the Dapu motor with a 16.5A controller, we have decided not to go for a regen system as we still have not seen one that gives as much range than this superbly efficient and light weight drive kit.

There will be pedal assist that will work in conjunction with a new Wisper micro throttle set up.

I am off to the factory today to see the final pre production model, we have just designed in a USB port that will power a 36V optional head light.

Prices are likely to be;

Panasonic 36V 9A £ 899.00
Panasonic 36V 11.6A £1,099.00

All the best

David

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
£1100! Oh my....