Bosch Nyon Issues?. New substantial update: Jan 2015

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Anyone had an issue with not being able to activate the WiFi or pair with a Nyon unit? I've just bought a bike with it and it doesn't want to play...
Mine gave up communicating with the computer. I have had a message on the unit to contact my dealer (just once) and as it was plugged into the computer an update came through. Never worked right after that.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
FYI: The latest front end update 1.1.5.0 pretty much sorts the whole system out.
Thanks Martin and I have looked.

Mine says "No update available"

Last system update 4 Apr 2015.

Still won't connect.

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Thanks Martin and I have looked.

Mine says "No update available"

Last system update 4 Apr 2015.

Still won't connect.
I had similar problems after the first update, only thing to do was to carry out a reset to factory defaults and start from scratch. [did not have to do this after the recent update]

The whole Wi-Fi and phone pairing does seem a bit hit and miss, though as Martin stated, it does seem a bit more stable after the last update.

Reactions: Martin@e-bikeshop

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Take to dealer and get a update pushed onto the device rather than using wifi etc.
OK Martin, thanks. I will hot foot down to OnBike when I get around to it.

I usually like to resolve my little problems myself or throw them in the bin.

Dan Fog Madsen

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 25, 2014
Just recieved a new bike last week with Nyon. The thing is a piece of garbage. It started with the dealer forgetting to update it. So when i got home with the bike, it just kept rebooting every 2 min. The dealer is about 2 hours drive away, so I did not want to drive all the way back. I returned it with postal service and waited a week for it to come back. I recieved it yesterday, updated to the newest version 1.1.5.0. I still have a big problem with the wireless network. Can't get it to connect to anything. Tried 3 different networks and 2 wifi mobilephone hotspots, with lots of different security settings. Nothing works, it just keep saying that it is the wrong password.

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Just recieved a new bike last week with Nyon. The thing is a piece of garbage. It started with the dealer forgetting to update it. So when i got home with the bike, it just kept rebooting every 2 min. The dealer is about 2 hours drive away, so I did not want to drive all the way back. I returned it with postal service and waited a week for it to come back. I recieved it yesterday, updated to the newest version 1.1.5.0. I still have a big problem with the wireless network. Can't get it to connect to anything. Tried 3 different networks and 2 wifi mobilephone hotspots, with lots of different security settings. Nothing works, it just keep saying that it is the wrong password.
I have spent hours trying to get this thing to pair with my phone & wireless network, the instruction are very poor and online support from Bosch non existent [unless you count a German Facebook page].

There are some FAQ's on the online portal Check here [Though how these questions get asked when the "Contact us" button does not actually do anything - tried IE, Firefox & Chrome.]

Did you get a code from the online Portal to allow the Wireless connection, it will not connect without it. I know I had to do a "reset to factory defaults" and restart the whole procedure from scratch, even then was not certain why it eventually worked.

The phone now only seems to connect with the Nyon if the "eBike Connect" app is running, not certain if that is as intended.

I do have to agree with you that the Nyon / Ebike connect portal is very poor at the moment, can only hope that they do some serious development on it. [Does not even have the usability of a very basic cycling computer]

The Bezel on my unit also failed and fell off but my dealer will not replace it under warranty, wants to charge me for a replacement, may start a separate thread on that issue.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I have a Mio GPS cycle computer mainly for my Birdy.

I have written of my failure to get any wired or wireless things to work with it. A Garmin thing had to be returned as it would loose the signal when under trees etc.

The Mio is super, puts the info on my computer, keeps a history of the rides itself. I would like the screen to be like the Nyon, easy for my eyes to see, clear & bright no specs required.

Of the two, without doubt the Mio gives more information except for how many trees I've saved, who's bright idea was that?

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
My bezel also broke of it's own accord. KTM kindly replaced it within days under warranty. :)

From reading other forums, it's yet another common problem.
That's interesting to hear, it was inferred that they had never seen one of these failing before so Bosch were refusing to replace it under warranty as they thought I must have damaged it in some way.

Anyway purely academic, Martin at e-bikeshop has now agreed that it should be replace under warranty.

Spencer Ivy

Pedelecer
Jul 3, 2013
replacing the bezel is a warranty issue and no problem at all. we have done this for a couple of customers and of course it is free. in our experience Bosch do try hard to resolve issues. We have spent quite some time recently updating Nyons and Intuivas with the latest front and rear end files. There are certain recurrent issues it appears but any Bosch agent will be able to sort out most of them and the dedicated service line is very robust!

Albin

May 14, 2015
Hi. I bought a Cube e-mtb with a nyon just a few days ago and has dawned on me that the software has issues. So I went looking for software updates, but I can't even enable the wifi from the settings. The nyon freezes up and reboots constantly, and when I actually manage to reach the wifi menu setting it doesn't seem to be changeable. I also don't know if I manage to charge it, again because of the constant rebooting. When it's connected to my computer via USB and not rebooting it is flashing USB Device Connected/Disconnected several times per second... How can they release software like this?

Anyway does anyone have any ideas how I can go about updating the software?

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
Hi. I bought a Cube e-mtb with a nyon just a few days ago and has dawned on me that the software has issues. So I went looking for software updates, but I can't even enable the wifi from the settings. The nyon freezes up and reboots constantly, and when I actually manage to reach the wifi menu setting it doesn't seem to be changeable. I also don't know if I manage to charge it, again because of the constant rebooting. When it's connected to my computer via USB and not rebooting it is flashing USB Device Connected/Disconnected several times per second... How can they release software like this?

Anyway does anyone have any ideas how I can go about updating the software?
Simple, contact your place of purchase and get them to hard boot the latest software on.

Reactions: EddiePJ

Albin

May 14, 2015
Thanks, I'm waiting for a response from them now. Such a shame for Bosch that the software isn't as polished as the hardware.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Today, the mileage and average mileage stopped recording although the mph was ok. I closed it down and rebooted and then it worked, weird.

Gigha

Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2015
East Lothian
Today, the mileage and average mileage stopped recording although the mph was ok. I closed it down and rebooted and then it worked, weird.
Yes I have seen that happen on a couple of occasions.

Another one is where everything looks OK on the Nyon but when the ride data is uploaded to the e-bike portal there is no track displayed on the map. The only thing visible is the speed and cadence profiles, presumably the GPS data file had somehow become corrupted.

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I can't get the info uploaded. This post could turn into Monty Python sketch.

triumph_st

Pedelecer
Mar 24, 2014
Leuven, Belgium
I have a Mio GPS cycle computer mainly for my Birdy.

I have written of my failure to get any wired or wireless things to work with it. A Garmin thing had to be returned as it would loose the signal when under trees etc.

The Mio is super, puts the info on my computer, keeps a history of the rides itself. I would like the screen to be like the Nyon, easy for my eyes to see, clear & bright no specs required.

Of the two, without doubt the Mio gives more information except for how many trees I've saved, who's bright idea was that?
That is exactly what I was thinking: a Mio Cyclo GPS with a Nyon screen is what I need! (the Nyon screen is the only good thing on the damned piece).