Bosch Nyon Issues?. New substantial update: Jan 2015

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I looked at my sat-nav screen whilst going along Earle's Drive through the Forrestry Commision woodland only to find the track stopped. Now his Lordship used to run his stage coaches through there a couple of hundred years ago. How long do they need to get up to date?

Remember, this is a device especially written for mountain bikes & the like, there are a few minor but tarmaced roads that are also missing. How a stranger would go on trying to get anywhere I don't know.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I looked at my sat-nav screen whilst going along Earle's Drive through the Forrestry Commision woodland only to find the track stopped. Now his Lordship used to run his stage coaches through there a couple of hundred years ago. How long do they need to get up to date?

Remember, this is a device especially written for mountain bikes & the like, there are a few minor but tarmaced roads that are also missing. How a stranger would go on trying to get anywhere I don't know.
Its a shame they didn't include Strava in the build..

Krip

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2015
This was not fun reading :( Just ordered the Nyon 2016 upgrade kit this morning. Now I just hope they have made a better piece of hardware and that they fix the software!

I will be replacing my car with my ebike and the cycle paths here in Sweden are very poorly marked out so I thought that it would be good to have the navigation function.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
I think the hardware for 2016 is the same as the 2015. The software is being updated though (not quickly enough though)!!!!

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Has anybody managed to download the new 2016 software yet which was promised mid Nov for the 2016 model launch?

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Last time I did an update it stopped talking to my computer, I wonder what other problems a new update will induce.

Krip

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2015
I don't think this thread represent my experience of the Nyon display at all. I was really afraid that I'd made a mistake after ordering the Nyon display and then reading this thread.

After receiving the Nyon upgrade kit and fitting it to my bike (really easy), I updated the firmware to the latest version. I have not had a single problem with the display and I think it's a superior product compared to the old display! The navigation function is working really great and also the informative information in the riding screen.

One thing that I find really annoying is that Bosch still have the video showing notification integration and music control and this is not supported at all. I don't know why this function is not available but I really hope it will be available in the future.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Martin, do you know when the large 2016 MY update is due to existing users please. When Bosch announced this they said mid Nov 2015 but mine has still not got it and says it has the latest software?
Thanks in advance.

nashdm2

Pedelecer
Jun 26, 2014
Has anybody else had the big software update to the 2016 level yet?

I am currently on 1.3.2.0 and do not have any of the 2016 features promised.

Lee Parker

Pedelecer
May 27, 2016
Yorkshire, UK
What the general consensus on Nyon is it worth upgrading to?
Im struggling to see any images of the actual maps presented, I mainly ride off road so typically use Open MTB Maps, I do have a Edge 1000 so pretty covered here but also like the customisation of presets

Reactions: Gubbins

funnyfreddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
:)Mimage.jpeg image.jpeg This is my 1st post and sadly not a happy one.

Short summary. Discovered fab ebikes, brought 1 and paid extra to upgrade to the Nyon.

Now realised have dropped a huge clanger!

I have owned the bike and Nyon about 10 days now.

I have the Bosch connect set up on PC. Iphone sorted and connected. That's the only good news.

Issues...from new. Despite wifi connection and USB confirmed, the system will not update.
Error message appears every time.photo above. What is 'offboard'? No one I ask knows.

Note, wifi and USB are connected and confirmed at this stage and full bat power on bike.

Others things...
New gpx file loaded and conformed. On the ride, no directions given...useless!
Brought new Polar H7 heart monitor today. Tried several time to get the blue teeth to find it. No chance.

Note, again full wifi etc all connected. I am stood next to the bike. So, now no updates, no directions and no heart beat. Is this unit lost and deceased I ask myself? Lol

If it wasn't for the extra cost I spent I would laugh.

To add insult to injury, the Bosch experts I contacted didn't want to know. One said, as I didn't buy from him, basically, not his problem.

Managed to find a contact online that was in north USA. Wrote and explained. He gave me Bosch UK.

Nothing, not a thing.
In desperation I wrote back to the guy in the USA and asked him to kindly forward my email to the powers that be. I know it's wasting my time but it made me feel like I was doing something...in conclusion, I am expecting a carrier pigeon soon to fly over head and leave me a message as that's how I feel right now, truly pooped on from a great height and nothing to kick back!

Bosch... This is totally pants.

The Polar H7 hooked up immediately to that silly iphone health app. I was stood next to your Nyon and it can't find a thing.

The garmin I used in my walking days in the middle of nowhere always got me there and back, 100% every time. It isnt hard.

You need to buck up and listen to all the people who have like me, foolishly brought this and are extremely dissatisfied.

Phew...I feel better now ....matron, is that Anger Management film ready now

And finally, now that is out the way, if anyone can help with the 'offboard' thing, a huge thank you in advance.

Reactions: mike killay

signwave

Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2016
Hampshire
:) This is my 1st post and sadly not a happy one.

Short summary. Discovered fab ebikes, brought 1 and paid extra to upgrade to the Nyon.

Now realised have dropped a huge clanger!

I have owned the bike and Nyon about 10 days now.

I have the Bosch connect set up on PC. Iphone sorted and connected. That's the only good news.

Issues...from new. Despite wifi connection and USB confirmed, the system will not update.
Error message appears every time.photo above. What is 'offboard'? No one I ask knows.

Note, wifi and USB are connected and confirmed at this stage and full bat power on bike.

Others things...
New gpx file loaded and conformed. On the ride, no directions given...useless!
Brought new Polar H7 heart monitor today. Tried several time to get the blue teeth to find it. No chance.

Note, again full wifi etc all connected. I am stood next to the bike. So, now no updates, no directions and no heart beat. Is this unit lost and deceased I ask myself? Lol

If it wasn't for the extra cost I spent I would laugh.

To add insult to injury, the Bosch experts I contacted didn't want to know. One said, as I didn't buy from him, basically, not his problem.

Managed to find a contact online that was in north USA. Wrote and explained. He gave me Bosch UK.

Nothing, not a thing.
In desperation I wrote back to the guy in the USA and asked him to kindly forward my email to the powers that be. I know it's wasting my time but it made me feel like I was doing something...in conclusion, I am expecting a carrier pigeon soon to fly over head and leave me a message as that's how I feel right now, truly pooped on from a great height and nothing to kick back!

Bosch... This is totally pants.

The Polar H7 hooked up immediately to that silly iphone health app. I was stood next to your Nyon and it can't find a thing.

The garmin I used in my walking days in the middle of nowhere always got me there and back, 100% every time. It isnt hard.

You need to buck up and listen to all the people who have like me, foolishly brought this and are extremely dissatisfied.

Phew...I feel better now ....matron, is that Anger Management film ready now

And finally, now that is out the way, if anyone can help with the 'offboard' thing, a huge thank you in advance.
Hi funnyfreddie.
You haven't said, but have you thought about contacting whoever sold the stuff to you?

Wander

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2013
Error message appears every time.photo above. What is 'offboard'? No one I ask knows
Off-board is when you remove the display from the bike, per Bosch:-

• “Off-board mode” (Functions can viewed when the control unit is removed from the eBike)

• Informative
Reactions: funnyfreddie

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
Has your bike been upgraded to work with Nyon? I assume you have the newer Bosch motor I.e. not the Classic line. You do need a strong wifi signal, I use a booster in the garage near the bike. Must say I am very pleased with mine. I can set routes using Strava and export to my Nyon via the Bosch portal. Gives turn by turn instructions enabling me to explore locally without having to keep referring to maps. Better battery indication and ability to change the boost profiles, I.e. for a quick start. Gives pedal cadence and other training info. Mine was set up by Okehampton Cycles. Highly recommend even though they did not supply it.

funnyfreddie

Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
Wow, just woke up to find all your nice replies. Thanks for all your comments.

I will answer all in this.
Signwave...Yes I did make a call to the shop I brought this from before trying to resolve this myself. After discussing the nyon issue and another 'minor' teething Issue with both bikes, ( no keys provided for the locking wheels with lock inserts) I was asked to speak to someone this week who was away due to holidays which is acceptable. People need holidays

I must make very clear at this point , the shop I used prior to and including my purchase were extremely friendly and professional and nothing was too much trouble. I don't expect this to approach to change when I see the chap this week when he returns from his holiday. I am hoping he will sort everything. However, if he don't , it looks like I will be stuck based on getting nowhere trying to resolve this myself.

Having tried to find the solution to the problem myself and to be honest, this is what frustrated me most, I was getting no answers or help using the Bosch expert route, then Bosch themselves which as time rolled on, I got more annoyed with nothing working right. Last night and the new Polar H7 not working which should have been simple to hook up, was the final straw.

I found this thread, joined this forum last night and here we are...

Wander/ Twinkleten...thank you for this. You may have hit the problem on the head.
Off board? ....the screen is 'locked' via the supplied security thread to the bike so can't remove it.

The bike is a KTM MACINA Sport CX 10 with top Bosch motor (specs available online) never ridden new 2016 model. It had the standard screen fitted but I decided to take the punt and paid extra to have the Nyon fitted as although new to ebikes, my wife and I intend going further a field as time goes on...planning the future etc...so the shop fitted it ready for me to pick up , bike and Nyon ready to roll.

I am wondering if this Nyon being 'retro' fitted is the problem? Would explain things I guess if the bike for whatever reason isn't liking it.

Back to 'offboard'...surely if the unit is wi-fi and USB connected , all powered up fully and confirmed (yes, I use the booster Internet box in my workshop too ) then it must 'update' the system? This is really making me scratch me head as it makes no sense to me.

Do I have to remove this from the bike each time and plug in to my PC in the house to update? Surely not

In ref to the Polar H7 and the Nyon not finding it, this again makes no logical sense as I am next to it. Just to test the unit was working ok, I hooked it to the Apple Health app on my iphone...whoosh..hello , here I am says Apple. The Polar H7 works fine, it's the Nyon.

Gpx map. Downloaded a local one to 'test ride' the nav side. I know the local route so safe one to try. Other than keep trying to take me back home when it didn't show any direction to turn at most points, it was hopeless.

I next tried entering it 'the old way' to a place about 3 miles away to find. I choose 'scenic'....in its defence, it did take me scenic. Dead ends 3 times, farm fields and nowhere close. Rubbish! If I was relying on this in a strange place, I would end up lost.

Thanks for your comments, I must say I have received more help and support from here than from Bosch which does not fill me with any customer confidence.

On a positive note, the ebikes are amazing. We have health issues and both my wife and I can enjoy cycling once more. Ain't no mountain high enough ...as the song says chuckle... Turbo mode ...wheeeee lol

My plan of action is to speak to the shop again this week, put faith in the guy who I hope will be able to fix things ( one of the Bosch local experts I spoke to said the system is still new to him and he had never came across the offboard warning) but my concern is, if he can't, I am stuck and very much out of pocket holding a dead useless item as it appears Bosch customer support is nil.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

Twinkleten

Pedelecer
Apr 18, 2015
Devon EX8
Looks like a really nice bike and good spec for road and cycle paths.
Here's a snap of my Nyon status, perhaps you could compare with yours to see everything is up to date. You should find the spec under the help section on the Nyon. Also meant to add that when you finally get it all working properly you can upload to the Bosch site and view the route much like Strava (which is great), in addition it shows the Power output and when the percentage that the different assistance levels have been used.

Not sure of the advantages if any in having the Nyon or Intuvia come to that permanently fixed. It takes just seconds to remove the clamp with the right tools and a power screw driver. My view is that if I am to lock it and leave it, I stick the Nyon in my pocket for safety. Regarding 'offboarding' the Nyon although it will search for Software updates on the bike it needs to be connected to a PC/iMac via the supplied USB lead for Software updates (infrequent) I suspect this is so that the Nyon is powered up via USB during the Software updating phase, whereas it might sleep on the bike. You can still use WiFi for uploading to the Bosch Portal and changing maps, custom ride modes, custom screens etc. The Apple app and Portal have both been updated recently and seem a bit slicker.IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0260.jpg IMG_0259.jpg IMG_0260.jpg

funnyfreddie

Aug 27, 2016
Swindon Wiltshire
You wrote ...Regarding 'offboarding' the Nyon although it will search for Software updates on thebike it needs to be connected to a PC/iMac via the supplied USB lead for Software updates (infrequent) Etc....

Hi Twinkleten,
A 'huge' thank you for your help and the photos of your screen. I am very grateful to you.

We tried a number of bikes and this was the one that was right for us.

As I suspected and you have confirmed, it is looking like the way to 'fix' the update issue is to remove the unit from the bike and plug it direct to the iMac with the supplied USB cable. I am with you on preferring to remove the unit when leaving the bike. A sad sign of the times we live in but we won't go there eh...

Why, when I 'ere a kid, I used to work 29 hours a day, sleep in cardboard box on road n ....god bless Monthy Python chuckle....

I will have a look and let you know. Out for a pleasure ride weather permitting tomorrow. When I have done, I will remove the Nyon from the bike, offer it to the Mac and see what happens. Nowt to lose.