Brakes With Power Cut Switches for Bafang 250

manxcat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2021
Hi,

Does anyone know of any good hydraulic brakes that come with cut off switches pre installed, I have seen the stick on ones but they look too hard to fit on most brakes and look like an amateur job.

Or do you think I can just not use any if I have some strong hydro brakes.

I wont be using any throttle.

Thanks.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Hi,

Does anyone know of any good hydraulic brakes that come with cut off switches pre installed, I have seen the stick on ones but they look too hard to fit on most brakes and look like an amateur job.

Or do you think I can just not use any if I have some strong hydro brakes.

I wont be using any throttle.

Thanks.
Why not install sensors on brakes you already have?
Brake sensors are not necessary, but good practice.

manxcat

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 20, 2021
Why not install sensors on brakes you already have?
Brake sensors are not necessary, but good practice.
Because the shimano ones Ive got look impossible to stick them on, and dont really trust the stick on ones.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got cable brakes, and have never had to try sticking those on. In my experience bicarbonate of soda/baking soda + Superglue is a very strong and very quick setting combination, which IMHO is very likely to bond magnets to levers. Double sided sticky tape can be removed with isoprpyl. Or oil can be used to dissolve the adhesive, and isopropyl to dissolve and clean away all of the resulting gooey mess. Trouble is, if you get the application of Baking Soda + Superglue very wrong, removal will take ages because it needs to be filed and sanded away - it sets like a hard plastic. Could ruin the look of your levers. Acetone can dissolve it, lots of acetone, which can strip paint of course. There's the even stronger Superglue + graphite combo...

Last edited:

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I don't think there are any good hydraulic brakes that come with cut off switches pre installed. At least I have never seen them, so DIY might be an only option.
Usually kits are sold with mechanical brake levers, but of a low quality.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
I used hot glue on these and I don’t think they look that bad. They work ok and nothing has fallen off yet.6177030F-6F1A-427A-84D0-C9E6FCA823C8.jpeg

Reactions: guerney

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If you aren't using a throttle and your motor has little in the way of over run then brake sensors aren't required, one does run a chance of a blown controller if a throttle is implemented and then relies on the brakes only.

Though a different controller I use KT with my hubs and my Tongsheng none has a throttle , I have no brake sensors and they aren't needed.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
My rear brake switch is configured to operate a brake light. The front brake switch stops the motor.

I don’t use brake sensors on my mtb because I found they rattled around too much over bumps and jumps and kept cutting the motor when I didn’t want them to.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
If one has the plunger type read /hall switch that relies on the motor cutting out when the plunger is depressed then one could simply plug one in and leave it positioned somewhere so that you could simply use it as a temporary kill switch . These plunger type switch's are used in the crappy brake leavers that come with some kits.