Brakes

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Do you use your right brake more than your left on your electric bike?

I was told I should be using the left (break), though, im not sure if i just have small hands but i find the left handlebar (break) slighty further apart to be able to grip it quickly/comfortably. On my old bike the throttle was on the right hand side,and i tended to use the right brake then too.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Gaynor,

I try to ensure an even balance as much as possible with both when braking especially in the wet to prevent either wheel locking up or losing traction. Plus I find when using both, you get more of a feel for your 'reserve' in case you suddenly have to brake even harder. I guess a few lessons early on while riding a motorbike taught me the importance of using both!

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
dont know if its still considered corect but i i use my front brake for stoping power, and back brake just very slightly after to control the bike.
mike

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

Hi gaynor
as the other guys have said it is safer to use both brakes together better 2 then 1:eek: also your brakeblock wear would be more even. So on that little quando and go:) :D nigel

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Same as Mike when needing to apply plenty of stopping power, but most of the time use anticipation and minimal braking on the non motorised wheel to avoid rim wear on that.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Same as Mike when needing to apply plenty of stopping power, but most of the time use anticipation and minimal braking on the non motorised wheel to avoid rim wear on that.
yes as flecc said, but the trouble is when explaining any thing its all to easy and wrong to assume to much knowledge on the part of the person asking, we all knew we have three brakes on a bike in this order,anticipation, front,and rear correct use of the first can avoid using the second two.i must spend longer in thought,and less time typing.
the fist thing i learnt in shooting (target not hunting) when i have a gun in my hand ime the most important safety catch.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
yes as flecc said, but the trouble is when explaining any thing its all to easy and wrong to assume to much knowledge on the part of the person asking, we all knew we have three brakes on a bike in this order,anticipation, front,and rear correct use of the first can avoid using the second two.i must spend longer in thought,and less time typing.
the fist thing i learnt in shooting (target not hunting) when i have a gun in my hand ime the most important safety catch.
True Mike, but I'm always aware that in a forum like this, large numbers of people are reading all the posts. Therefore, as well as the basic reply, I try to add any associated information that might be wanted or of interest to others reading. Then anyone is free to accept as much or as little information as they require.

I'm always aware that too little information can amount to no information at all.