Brexit,actually the UK has come out rather well.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Rugby as well now, I have always respected rugby players for taking it on the chin, respecting the rules, accepting defeat and moving on to the next challenge - as a team.
Most of us (including the politicians) thought that remain was a foregone conclusion - it wasn't - we have to live with the consequences no matter how scary.
Time to roll our sleeves up!
I picked rugby as my example as a soccer match with 17 goals to 16 might be somewhat unusual match result with real teams

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Most? . Probably wishful thinking but If that is there view they need to articulate it to the only people who matter ... Their MP
Was being sarcastic. Whenever I see remain map's on tv talk shows they seem to have the idea that the brexit voters were ill informed, have reslised thrir mistake and are desperate for another referendum. And those that refuse to see the light shouldn't worry as these same mp's will rectify it for them free of charge.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Rugby as well now, I have always respected rugby players for taking it on the chin, respecting the rules, accepting defeat and moving on to the next challenge - as a team.
Most of us (including the politicians) thought that remain was a foregone conclusion - it wasn't - we have to live with the consequences no matter how scary.
Time to roll our sleeves up!

There are no consequences or irrevocable decisions unless and until the letter requesting article 50 is sent. Once sent then your " sleeve rolling" begins.

Quarryjmiller

Pedelecer
Aug 18, 2015
There are no consequences or irrevocable decisions unless and until the letter requesting article 50 is sent. Once sent then your " sleeve rolling" begins.
We are back where I began and now I am just as guilty, I never expected to see it happen but Britain is going to leave the EU, it is a waste of time bickering over it, I see a glass half full, you see it half (maybe completely) empty, feel free to carry on without me, I'm off to roll my sleeves up.

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
If a dealer sells bikes we're not comfortable being sold next to KTM, or has an attitude we're not happy with we refuse them an account.

I know the shop you're talking about and I quote:

"More recently however, we have become involved in the building, maintenance and sale of ElectricBikes, and a number of us here at ‘*******’ have even developed our own personal bicycles which can exceed 40 mph with their powerful electric motors and battery combinations."

Which is why we didn't supply them. I'm sorry you don't agree with our stance, but I can assure you its not a petty agenda, and we can all look back in a couple of years and see how things pan out. We don't need the business so would rather support dealers who don't brag about making 40mph eBikes in their application emails.

We also refuse to supply dealers who sell dongles or promote their use.
Lets step back and be honest.. How do you think all this constant bickering about legals, speeding and dongles from people who should know better affects prospective buyers of electric bicycles? You must be aware that the more it goes on the more likely it will pop up in internet searches...
So will anyone,looking for information about e-bikes by doing a google search and then comes across all this nonsense want to rush out and buy one?
Two letter answers only I think...
Look, some of you guys are supposed to be professionals!

Live_Steam_Mad

Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2016
NW England
One thing I have noticed is that Decathlon just today put up their price on their entry level Ebike Elops 500E (an old model which they called "Bebike 500") from 530 to 599 GBP, and their new model Elops 500E has also just gone up from 560 to 599 GBP, I imagine this has happened because of our weak currency at the moment, the latter being definitely due to the Brexit effects (you can see it on the graph at xc.com/ucc, GBP vs USD rate). Annoying to see, but we just have to accept it.

Regards,

Alistair G.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

How do you think all this constant bickering about legals, speeding and dongles from people who should know better affects prospective buyers of electric bicycles?
I was at a well known electric bike shop yesterday. While I was there, I spoke with three customers who wanted to buy bikes. They all wanted to know whether or how the bike could be derestricted. It was obviously a key characteristic for them. That was three out of three. I didn't encourage them at all. I just answered their questions honestly.

I would say that many bike sales depend on the ability to derestrict. You can't put your head in the sand. People are doing it rightly or wrongly. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care. I don't judge them. It's their choice. if anybody asks me for technical information, I give it along with appropriate advice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would say that many bike sales depend on the ability to derestrict. You can't put your head in the sand. People are doing it rightly or wrongly. As far as I'm concerned, I don't care. I don't judge them. It's their choice. if anybody asks me for technical information, I give it along with appropriate advice.
True. This is directly connected with the way in which modern cycling has developed in Britain, born out of road and MTB use it's somewhat sporting in style and quite fast.

This is completely different from the leisurely utility cycling so common in Europes main cycling nations like The Netherlands and in Japan, where ambling around at 8 to 12 mph is common. The EU wide pedelec law is directly related to their cycling in those countries so is very unsuited to British cycling.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
true or not, derestriction gives me a lot of headache.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, and as e-biking gets much more popular and widespread, could become a headache for those riding derestricted if the authorities get interested enough to act.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
Do not do it as it is illegal.

But set up a website with all the information on how to derestrict your bikes called say wooshmywoosh.com or similar.

Then put lots of signs up in your shop and web site forbidding any one to use these techniques or visit wooshmywoosh and job done.

Cake and eat it.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
I was at a well known electric bike shop yesterday. While I was there, I spoke with three customers who wanted to buy bikes. They all wanted to know whether or how the bike could be derestricted. It was obviously a key characteristic for them. That was three out of three. I didn't encourage them at all. I just answered their questions honestly.

And yet in this post http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxygen-s-cross-st-vs-momentum-model-t.26708/#post-353738 you wrongly chose to leave out the legal implications, when knowing full well what they are. I can only assume that you did just the same to the three people that you also gave verbal advice to yesterday.

You could argue and say that it is up to the buyer to research the law prior to purchase, which of course it is, but equally when potential buyer is seeking advice and you offering it, then you should also point out the legal implications. A potential new ebike buyer may not be aware of the facts, when you indeed are.

Perhaps you could/should start by going back to the afore mentioned thread, and amend your reply accordingly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Croxden

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
And yet in this post http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/oxygen-s-cross-st-vs-momentum-model-t.26708/#post-353738 you wrongly chose to leave out the legal implications, when knowing full well what they are. I can only assume that you did just the same to the three people that you also gave verbal advice to yesterday.

You could argue and say that it is up to the buyer to research the law prior to purchase, which of course it is, but equally when potential buyer is seeking advice, and you offering it, then you should also point out the legal implications. A potential new ebike buyer may not be aware of the facts, when you indeed are.

Perhaps you could/should start by going back to the afore mentioned thread, and amend your reply accordingly.
This is what I meant by the constant bickering..

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: nemesis and EddiePJ

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
@Gubbins. That isn't bickering, it is simply pointing out excluded fact.
maybe not, but taking these comments a whole it looks that way to me.. Most people dont get their information from a bike shop, as Gtech has demonstrated, and yes one of the first questions asked is can it be de-redistricted, but that's usually asked by young men who probably feel the need for speed. I just feel that if you want to get Joe Public to buy an electric bicycle all this talk of doing 30, or even 40mph and being illegal perhaps might put him off

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
one of the first questions asked is can it be de-redistricted, but that's usually asked by young men who probably feel the need for speed. I just feel that if you want to get Joe Public to buy an electric bicycle all this talk of doing 30, or even 40mph and being illegal perhaps might put him off
The second part could be true, but it's not true to say that it's usually young men who ask about derestriction. Overwhelmingly in this forum entrants who are in the second half of life* ask about derestriction. Understandable of course, they've often ridden motorbikes and driven cars, and on British roads a high proportion of the cyclists they see are clearly riding at well above 15 mph, so they want the same.

Since they are shop or online customers for e-bikes, I think that desire is widespread if not quite universal, and not unique to this forum. Every supplier will tell you the same.

* 80% of the forum membership are over 40 years old.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
When I first got my eMTB I was going to get or build a dongle as it seemed necessary.

But I have not

On the road I am happy at 15 ish MPH as my max, I do not need the speed off road and my gearing is fairly low for climbing which suits me.

Speed has no interest is it my age ?

To use Strava or a Garmin to tell me how fast I am going or what I have done, not for me.

I like to look around and see what's going on, there is no reason for me to challenge myself.

But then I am a leisure cyclist, my main achievement is after 6 months the bike is not collecting dust with flat tyres in the shed.

Also do you not find that going fast in the cold burns your face and head.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The second part could be true, but it's not true to say that it's usually young men who ask about derestriction. Overwhelmingly in this forum entrants who are in the second half of life* ask about derestriction. Understandable of course, they've often ridden motorbikes and driven cars, and on British roads a high proportion of the cyclists they see are clearly riding at well above 15 mph, so they want the same.

Since they are shop or online customers for e-bikes, I think that desire is widespread if not quite universal, and not unique to this forum. Every supplier will tell you the same.

* 80% of the forum membership are over 40 years old.
I consider anyone under 45 to be young. Sort of..
60's middle aged and 80+ to be old... ish..
And when I found out I could speed up my bike I was very interested at first but through firstly reading about that subject on this forum and secondly deciding that this higher speed might not be too safe I decided against it.
But please don't confuse me with anti fun ban all dongle and speed or the world will end crowd as I have no opinion either way, anyone can have one or not as it suits them. I am just trying to point out that it won't help to sell to the man or woman in the street who might rhink ooh I might like one of those to get me out and about if they read some of these posts.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I consider anyone under 45 to be young. Sort of..
60's middle aged and 80+ to be old... ish..
And when I found out I could speed up my bike I was very interested at first but through firstly reading about that subject on this forum and secondly deciding that this higher speed might not be too safe I decided against it.
But please don't confuse me with anti fun ban all dongle and speed or the world will end crowd as I have no opinion either way, anyone can have one or not as it suits them. I am just trying to point out that it won't help to sell to the man or woman in the street who might rhink ooh I might like one of those to get me out and about if they read some of these posts.
I take the same relaxed view of the issue. I flirted with higher assist speed back in 2006/7 but soon dropped back to the legal restricted assist speed. Not on safety or legal grounds but comfort, simply because 15/16 mph was more relaxed, while 22 mph was often more an eye watering experience, especially in cold or windy conditions.

It's up to others what they choose to do, but I do think they should all be aware of what the law is on the subject.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I take the same relaxed view of the issue. I flirted with higher assist speed back in 2006/7 but soon dropped back to the legal restricted assist speed. Not on safety or legal grounds but comfort, simply because 15/16 mph was more relaxed, while 22 mph was often more an eye watering experience, especially in cold or windy conditions.

It's up to others what they choose to do, but I do think they should all be aware of what the law is on the subject.
I am all for keeping people informed and this forum does that very well, it's just that some of the posts take the informing a bit too far .. or, inform a bit too aggressively..