BSSHD / BBS02 throttle only - would it make your chains snap frequently?

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
I recently came across this video where the owner of a bike fitted with a standard (not modded) BBS02 complained about chain snapping pretty much every 2-4 weeks if the bike was ridden with throttle only. Mid drive motor would definitely wear out the drivetrain considerably quicker than a human pedalling would do, but to me drivetrain rebuild every few weeks seems quite extreme. I haven't actually owned a mid drive yet so cannot verify if what he says is true. Can anyone confirm? Is riding a powerful mid drive on throttle-only really such a bad idea?

peter.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2018
thurrock essex
You can break any thing if it is abused or the chain line is out, in normal use it is not a problem , others on the forum run high power bbshd without problems

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
The chain is much too loose, opening the throttle under those conditions would cause a violent `slap` on the chain.
If the chain is under a degree of tension to begin with the force of opening the throttle would be gradual, not instant.

Also use some of the stronger 7/8spd chains, like KMC, Wipperman etc...

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
You can program the controller to have a low start current, which would minimize drivetrain stress.

• Agree
Reactions: tommie

krzychoniusz

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
London
Thanks, so it shouldnt be a problem then if a quality chain is used and optimal tension is maintained?

Do you recommend any source for instructions how to limit start current? I’m looking to buy BBS02 with LCD KT3

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
You can program the controller to have a low start current, which would minimize drivetrain stress.
I didn't think you could for the throttle, only PAS. On my bbs02 the throttle is brutal and I have a low start up to keep my hub gear happier. I mostly don't use the throttle and when I do I can feel and hear the bike complaining

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
BBS02 will not work with KT3 unit, you need a Bafang LCD. Settings can vairy depending on vendor, so best to get a programming cable and go from there. Plenty of users here to help find best settings depending on your requirements.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I didn't think you could for the throttle, only PAS. On my bbs02 the throttle is brutal and I have a low start up to keep my hub gear happier. I mostly don't use the throttle and when I do I can feel and hear the bike complaining
I don't use a throttle personally, but there is an option in the software to change the start current to a lower percentage.

Bafang Throttle.jpg

• Useful
Reactions: krzychoniusz