Burisch offroad electric bike, new for £649 on ebay

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
was thinking along same lines morphix . i live in scottish countryside can easly go to town [perth] through woods and paths never near roads ,would like to see inside controler,might well be posible.
Get one of the other controllers they suggest - fit it yourself (the controller is dead easy to get to and if it swaps wire for wire which it probably does it will take you about 15 minutes tops for the whole job). Total cost around £40 and a completely transformed bike.

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
Get one of the other controllers they suggest - fit it yourself (the controller is dead easy to get to and if it swaps wire for wire which it probably does it will take you about 15 minutes tops for the whole job). Total cost around £40 and a completely transformed bike.
The controller case will take the slightly longer controllers, however i found by removing the unnecessary 'discharge connector' from the controller case, there is more room for the wires. Epoxy where the connector poked through the case, and grind down the seat for the connector. Also its better in my opinion not to have that connector exposed to the elements, for obvious reasons.

Its a relatively simple mod.

Fast Eddie

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 28, 2008
I asked about them sending a new de-restricted controller and asked them if it fitted like for like and the reply was

Fitment requires about 5 wires to be soldered and properly insulated and
the rest of the wires are just plugs which plug-in like-for-like.
which has put me off a bit as I am fairly clueless about this sort of thing and have only ever used a soldering gun once in my life (to repair an electric guitar). I wish I'd never bought the bike to be honest. My own fault for not doing proper research I guess. Will just find someone locally I think to fit the new controller. The old folder is still chugging along like a good'n though fortunately, so at least one of my bikes is providing a good experience;)

OxygenJames

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 8, 2012
Come on Eddie! You can do it!

You open it up and swap the wires wire for wire! Green to green red to red blue to blue etc! You can do it!! Soldering is optional - you could just twist the wires together and tape them up nice and tight with insulation tape if you wanted to.

The trick is to go NICE AND SLOW once you get in there even take pictures as you go to make sure you know how it all goes together! Though seeing as its a straight swap pictures really wont be necessary - just get clear and then take each wire one at a time!

Ajax

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2008
I asked about them sending a new de-restricted controller and asked them if it fitted like for like and the reply was

which has put me off a bit as I am fairly clueless about this sort of thing and have only ever used a soldering gun once in my life (to repair an electric guitar). I wish I'd never bought the bike to be honest. My own fault for not doing proper research I guess. Will just find someone locally I think to fit the new controller. The old folder is still chugging along like a good'n though fortunately, so at least one of my bikes is providing a good experience;)
Are you sure there isn't already the capacity to de-restrict the existing controller? I ask because the 2012 spec bike had a white wire which you simple unclipped to get an estimated extra 4mph.

Fast Eddie

Jun 28, 2008
Come on Eddie! You can do it!

You open it up and swap the wires wire for wire! Green to green red to red blue to blue etc! You can do it!! Soldering is optional - you could just twist the wires together and tape them up nice and tight with insulation tape if you wanted to.

The trick is to go NICE AND SLOW once you get in there even take pictures as you go to make sure you know how it all goes together! Though seeing as its a straight swap pictures really wont be necessary - just get clear and then take each wire one at a time!
You are right of course, and thanks for the encouragement. I was in a fairly poor mood when I wrote my last comment and probably making a meal of what should be doable, especially now as Ryan who runs the firm says that the new 2013 bikes' controller has connectors for the motor to controller connections so no need for soldering which is good. Unfortunately I delayed in ordering as I was so busy last week and now they are out of stock until mid to late April of the unlimited controllers but I may be able to source one elsewhere hopefully.

Are you sure there isn't already the capacity to de-restrict the existing controller? I ask because the 2012 spec bike had a white wire which you simple unclipped to get an estimated extra 4mph.
Ryan says that the new model does not have any override option or white wire delimitting capacity on it. Quoting from him from an email reply he sent to me, "Unfortunately there is no other way on this 2013 model of de-restricting, the white wire was only appropriate on the 2012 model."

tony b

Just Joined
Jun 11, 2013
hi all,
would just like to thank everyone for their input on this cycle.
decided to splash the cash a month ago and could not be happier.
bought it purely for commuting to work which is a 20 mile round trip with some good hills and on my feet for ten hours in between.
"at my age (50) i now need a little help"
good communication from Ryan and Lara, bike arrived as stated and assembled in 30 mins
battery leds lit up full but they only give a real reading under load so please do as they say and charge it up when you get it.
i don't think i would buy it as a mtb but commuting is awesome, not checked the full range of battery power yet, but gets me 20 miles plus , no problem.
battery bracket vibrated loose once but not since tightening and stand leg did same and dropped off in road but stayed put since .
nothing you wouldn't get with any other bike.
it looks great and everyone is impressed at how it pulls.
thanks,

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
hi all,
battery bracket vibrated loose once but not since tightening and stand leg did same and dropped off in road but stayed put since .
I presume you don't mean the stand has stayed in the road since falling off? ;)

Phil

r3npogi

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2013
I've joined British Heart Foundation London to Brighton Bike Ride 2013 last June 16th, it's my 3rd year to ride, I normally use my road bike but this year I have decided to use my Burisch Synergy GT250 2013 version, I know that it was a 2013 version because I have bought it 2 months ago :cool: and it has tektro brake lever and a rear disc brake.

Lara e-mailed me and gave instruction how to de-restrict, just disconnect the single white wire with black plug. :) and you will get 15mph full auto, and 20mph pedelec.

funny thing is people can't even recognize that it is an electric bike, it was so silent that you can barely hear it roar even when full throttled. only those lorry guys that took my bike in the lorry that wondered why it is so heavy-- haha they are so clueless.

many have asked though what is the "huge thing" that was on my bottle carrier, but it always works when I told them it was a "thermos".

actually it looked like a thermos :)

anyway, the ride is 58 miles, more like 60 miles including pitstops and long-cuts (I need to impress)
but I need to literally switch off the key otherwise it will always kick the pedelec in. I don't want that as I have max my bike out at around 28 miles full auto in flat/slight climb terrain before, so I knew it will not last the whole ride.

I pedal in flats and downhills, I did pedelecs in uphills and when I need to boost my speed, I can do 20mph on pedelecs and 16mph on full auto in flat grounds. I'm a 60kilo rider.

Ditchling beacon is no match for me as I have climb it up in flying colours. from thereon it is mostly downhill but still plenty of flats. I even clocked at 37mph max speed going down which is very impressive. I have riden in full auto until I've reached Brighton but fall short about 500 meters from the finish line it run out of juice completely, so I need to pedal in full, what a drag.

I will still ride L2B2014 next year definitely! in burisch electric bike? YES!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

If you don't want to use your key-switch to keep switching off your bike, you can use one of these on the other handlebar. You can either join the wires to the two wires that come out of the brake (splice it in) or run it down to the controller, unplug the front brake switch, and plug it in there. it should be the same connector if yours is standard.

r3npogi

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2013
If you don't want to use your key-switch to keep switching off your bike, you can use one of these on the other handlebar.
additional switch/wire will be cumbersome and you are just adding an additional complication specially if you want it as discreet as the burisch bike. you will realize that less component, less trouble. plus switches doesn't like rain so much. I have learnt this with my previous e-bike that shuts down as soon as water hits the switch. burisch bike is different, I have used it twice in heavy rain but it seems it wasn't bothered by it.

D

Deleted member 4366

If it were my bike, and I wanted discrete, I'd chuck that Christmas-tree-light throttle with key-switch, fit a plain half throttle or thumb throttle, and use one of these switches as a "standby" switch. That key-switch looks very vulnerable to water ingress, although at least when it's shorted out by water, your bike will be on - you just won't be able to switch it off:
Three Speed Switch Kit - BMSBATTERY
Half Twist Throttle - BMSBATTERY

r3npogi

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2013
half throttle and thumb throttle is not convenient for me, I have tried it before but find it a little less controllable than the full throttle

a little "white insulating tape mod" will make the Christmas-tree-light indicator a little less obvious- and it will still give you an indication of what's left in your battery.

and making the key-switch bow down a little bit will make it less susceptible to water lodging, I have not had any trouble with the keys as well, it will always stay put despite of me riding my burisch in offroads, changed my tyres to maxxis.

..and the battery, I have liberally applied an awful amount of flexible superglue and fixed it to the frame permanently. :)

I did a couple of 5 foot drops already and the battery mount is still intact.

Michael Nodding

Just Joined
May 17, 2013
Boston
I have a little experience of the Burisch GT250 2013 model which I purchase a littee over a month ago. Despite reading varied reviews about this bike I decided to buy one and was thoroughly pleased with it. It will do approximately 16 mph under its own steam and have had it up to 26 on pedelec. It is a slick looking bike and I have found it to be great for what i wanted. I have predominately been riding it on the flat (Lincolnshire). The longest ride I did on it was a 20 mile ride on battery alone including some hills and it is a very impressive ride.

Unfortuantely it was stolen two weeks ago from a locked cycle rack in Boston town centre, so I am clearly a little disappointed with what I thought was a great purchase. I am now left with a charger and two bunches of keys and am still awaiting a response from the police.

D

Deleted member 4366

I have a little experience of the Burisch GT250 2013 model which I purchase a littee over a month ago. Despite reading varied reviews about this bike I decided to buy one and was thoroughly pleased with it. It will do approximately 16 mph under its own steam and have had it up to 26 on pedelec. It is a slick looking bike and I have found it to be great for what i wanted. I have predominately been riding it on the flat (Lincolnshire). The longest ride I did on it was a 20 mile ride on battery alone including some hills and it is a very impressive ride.

Unfortuantely it was stolen two weeks ago from a locked cycle rack in Boston town centre, so I am clearly a little disappointed with what I thought was a great purchase. I am now left with a charger and two bunches of keys and am still awaiting a response from the police.
That's bad luck. I hope you get it back soon.
Which type of lock did you use, and how did they break it?

zeeflyboy

Jan 16, 2011
Very close to buying one of these 2013 versions (large, 28" wheels)

From what I can tell it looks like most of the criticisms have been addressed in this new model - rear disc brake to replace the rim brake, improved brake levers, better gearing options. Seems like a well rounded and good value bike with great looks.

To owners of either version, is there any glaring issue that you think is still unaddressed? I've been impressed with the speedy response of the company to emails (hopefully something that continues after they have your money too lol) and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

Can anyone show pictures of the supplied mud guards by the way?

Cheers chaps!

technopedler

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2013
Very close to buying one of these 2013 versions (large, 28" wheels)

From what I can tell it looks like most of the criticisms have been addressed in this new model - rear disc brake to replace the rim brake, improved brake levers, better gearing options. Seems like a well rounded and good value bike with great looks.

To owners of either version, is there any glaring issue that you think is still unaddressed? I've been impressed with the speedy response of the company to emails (hopefully something that continues after they have your money too lol) and I'm almost ready to pull the trigger.

Can anyone show pictures of the supplied mud guards by the way?

Cheers chaps!
I'm in exactly the same boat as you. I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on it so keen on any last minute feedback issues.

D

Deleted member 4366

Well, you' ll just have to buy one to see how it is, and then you can let everybody else know. It's only money.