Buying my first e-bike

Camping Cathy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
I am hoping that for some advice please about choosing my first e bike:

I am a 60+ female, 5ft 5 tall. I was an enthusiastic cyclist until about 20 years ago, and am keen to take it up again. My husband is a regular cyclist ( one of the consequences/benefits of being a one car family) and is easily capable of 50+ miles. Due to my asthma, being over weight and out of condition I don't enjoy bike rides with him as I struggle with the slightest incline and can’t keep up.

Last week I hired an e bike, and haven't stopped smiling since. We comfortably rode over 30 miles (I was mostly on eco) and it levelled out our differences.

The bike I hired was a Giant Prime e+ step through. In many ways it would be a good bike for me, except that I’m not convinced that it has sufficient range, as ultimately I’m aiming to join him on 50+ mile rides. Also, I’d prefer not to have the battery on the rear (as I tend to be a bit clumsy and unbalanced and I think a battery on the frame would be a better option).

The non negotiable is the step through, and the longer range.

Based on (hours) reading this forum, I’m thinking: centrally located hub motor; and torque rather than cadence sensor. I also think some suspension would be useful, as we plan to take the bikes away on our camping trips, when we will cycle on canal paths and easy-ish forest trails.

I know that “light” and “e-bikes” are rather incompatible, but given that we will be lifting it onto the back of the car (towball bike rack) weight is a consideration.

A lot of the bikes I’ve looked at have nexus hub gears, and these seem to have handlebar twist shifters. I have the early stages of arthritis in my hands and wonder if this might be a bit of a challenge?

I am tempted by many of the features of the Kalkhoff Tasman 8, (especially the range). However, having read of the problems with the impulse motor, I’m rather reluctant to take that risk. Also I think I read that it is cadence rather than torque sensor… but maybe that won’t make that much difference at this level of cycling? I’m going to arrange to try one anyway, just out of interest.

Others I’m planning to look at are the Cube Travel Hybrid (400 and 500) and Scott E Sub.

I’ve initially set a budget of around £2k, but if I find the perfect bike, that can be stretched.

Can you suggest any others that I should look at please? I’m based in the East Midlands, and would prefer to buy from a local stockist rather than online. 50cycles is nearby, so that will be my first port of call for some test rides.

Maybe I’m making this too complicated, and I should just go and buy one that feels OK, then get out there and get peddling…….

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
.... and I should just go and buy one.....
Whatever you do, don't do that. You've done your homework, you've got your wish list. Go and try several different bikes that are near enough to your parameters, and see if any sing out a 'yes' to you.

Also worth trying a couple that you think won't suit, just in case you're pleasantly surprised. And if they're not for you, at least you've confirmed it and not missed out.

Happy bike huntin'

Gaz

Reactions: Camping Cathy

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
2k is a nice figure to play with so options are open, not many bikes will manage 50 miles unless you have a 575wh/16ah batteyr or more or better still two batteries then that way you will not have any range anxiety.
Wipser 705 torque which is nice with 575wh/16ah battery also comes in dual torque and pas switchable mode and great CS from David at Amps.
Step thru's will nearly all have rear rack battery however semi integrated batteries are appearing now.
Oxygen S -Cross ST £1400 currently on offer for 999.
http://www.all-about-the-bike.co.uk/oxygen-s-cross-st--step-through-electric-bike-8857-p.asp

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

The Kalkhoff is a lovely bike to ride. If you try it, you'll probably want to buy it. It's up to you whether you want to take a chance on the reliability, but bear in mind that others took that chance, and it didn't work out well for them.

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
Lots of mature women riding local to me on Bosch crank drive step through bikes. No idea what make they all are but there do seem to be lots of them.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

That's weird. I've never seen a Bosch bike on the road around here. In fact I think the only CD bikes I've seen are the odd Kalkhoff - the older ones with Panasonic motor. Most of the Ebikes I see are Chinese, and a lot of Halfords ones.

• Agree

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
The Kalkhoff is a lovely bike to ride. If you try it, you'll probably want to buy it. It's up to you whether you want to take a chance on the reliability, but bear in mind that others took that chance, and it didn't work out well for them.
Don't forget that Kalkhoff also do a range of Bosch powered bikes.

• Informative

Peter Thornton

Pedelecer
Apr 15, 2017
Kendal
You mention transporting the bike using a tow ball rack? I met someone the other day who had a stepthrough frame and was having difficulty using such a rack, they had had to buy a special adaptor I think. Worth investigating before you purchase.
I tried the Cube Tourer step through and it was a very nice bike. I think I'd prefer the disk brakes of this version to the Travel but it has the derailleur gears if that's a problem?

• Informative

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
That's weird. I've never seen a Bosch bike on the road around here. In fact I think the only CD bikes I've seen are the odd Kalkhoff - the older ones with Panasonic motor. Most of the Ebikes I see are Chinese, and a lot of Halfords ones.
I'm in Austria for the summer, refreshing to see the variety of people cycling here.

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
Thanks for your helpful replies.

The wisper has rear wheel rather than mid motor (and a throttle, which I don't particularly want or need) but seems worth looking at.

I'm not convinced that the Oxygen S cross has sufficient range (and I'd rather not carry a spare battery) so at this stage I'll discount that one, though it's a very tempting price.

Bosch powered Kalkhoffs don't seem so easy to find locally. I'll keep searching for a Pro connect B10 wave, as that looks promising.

I'll also have a look at the full range of Cubes too.

Thanks for the tip about the bike rack...I can't quite get my head round why it might be a problem putting one on a towbar bike rack, but I'll definitely explore that issue before I commit.

It's also important for me that the bike rides as much as possible like a "normal" bike, including (hopefully) when the motor is switched off (on the flat or downhill only I suspect!). So although I'm very keen to buy one and get out there, I do need to spend a lot of time test riding different ones.

In the meantime, it's inspired me to dust off my trusty old trek bike, and build up the miles (and legs) on that... so taking my time before I buy one is not necessarily a bad thing!

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Some bike racks require a grip on the cross bar.

If the bike is a step though, you have to fit a dummy cross bar to mount the bike to the rack.

Not a big problem, but it is extra faff.

The biggest battery available on Bosch bikes is 500wh, which is going to be a bit tight for 50 miles, depending on the conditions.

May be OK if you can manage on eco.

• Informative

Camping Cathy

Jul 6, 2017
East Midlands
Thanks for explaining the bike rack issue RobF... it's obvious now you've pointed it out!

My trek is what would some might now call "trapezoid" and thinking about how that fits onto the bike rack I can see how a step through would create extra challenges!

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm not convinced that the Oxygen S cross has sufficient range (and I'd rather not carry a spare battery) so at this stage I'll discount that one, though it's a very tempting price.
The oxygen has a 14 Ah (500wh) battery. That's the same size as the biggest Bosch one, so the range will be the same. You can do over 100 miles on the Oxygen if you turn the power down. You can't go by any of the published range figures. The only thing to look at is the battery size. The bigger the battery, the further you go.

• Informative

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Cathy,

Thanks for considering a Wisper. I think it would suit you. I understand your worries about the rear battery, however it really does not make a lot of difference. It's certainly worth trying one, I think you would be impressed.

705 Torque 2.jpg

It has a low step through and a very rigid frame, due to the oversized down tube, it handles very much like a crossbar bike. The gear change is fore finger and thumb rapid fire shifter so should be comfortable. The 575Wh battery will enable you to complete a 50 mike ride with ease, as long as you don't cruise in level 4 assistance or F which turns off the torque sensor and gives max power just by turning the pedals.

Happy hunting!

All the best, David

• Informative

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
The wisper has rear wheel rather than mid motor (and a throttle, which I don't particularly want or need) but seems worth looking at.
I reckon the Wisper would be a good one for you to test, and might just change your view about hub drive bikes :)

I have a CD, but can also ride my Wife's 705SE and it's an eye opener as to how good they are.

Gaz

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Most of the step through frames will have the battery on the back rack. Putting the battery in a slot vertically behind the saddle post is only on a few bikes. If you have a central drive motor then the battery on the back is not a problem and redistributes the weight.

In addition to the bikes mentioned I suggest you look at some of the Bosch motor units .from . Cube, orbea, Raliegh , they will be available at your price bracket.

• Agree
Reactions: Gaz

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Bosch Active or Shimano STEPs with 500wH should give 80km no problem in eco if there are not to may hills or you are willing to turn assist on the flat.

I've seen a a couple STEPs bikes with 500Wh, up to now it has been 400wh. Same goes for Bosch Active. Maybe able to negotiate an upgrade on 400wh.

Don't forget you can always topup battery mid ride at a cafe or bar while having lunch. STEPs 4A charger will give 40% per hour. So 1 hour lunch will turn your 400wh battery into 560Wh. This is one situation where every extra drink makes ride home easier.

Bosch 4A chargers are similar but be warned some bikes come with 2A charger. The Bosch 4A is differently lighter and more compact than STEPs, we have both.

• Informative

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Bosch Active or Shimano STEPs with 500wH should give 80km no problem in eco if there are not to may hills or you are willing to turn assist on the flat.

I've seen a a couple STEPs bikes with 500Wh, up to now it has been 400wh. Same goes for Bosch Active. Maybe able to negotiate an upgrade on 400wh.

Don't forget you can always topup battery mid ride at a cafe or bar while having lunch. STEPs 4A charger will give 40% per hour. So 1 hour lunch will turn your 400wh battery into 560Wh. This is one situation where every extra drink makes ride home easier.

Bosch 4A chargers are similar but be warned some bikes come with 2A charger. The Bosch 4A is differently lighter and more compact than STEPs, we have both.
.. liked the comment about the extra drink!

Mal69

Pedelecer
May 22, 2017
Scottish Borders
www.darkrealmfox.com
Thanks for your helpful replies.

Bosch powered Kalkhoffs don't seem so easy to find locally. I'll keep searching for a Pro connect B10 wave, as that looks promising.

I'll also have a look at the full range of Cubes too.

Thanks for the tip about the bike rack...I can't quite get my head round why it might be a problem putting one on a towbar bike rack, but I'll definitely explore that issue before I commit.

It's also important for me that the bike rides as much as possible like a "normal" bike, including (hopefully) when the motor is switched off (on the flat or downhill only I suspect!). So although I'm very keen to buy one and get out there, I do need to spend a lot of time test riding different ones.

In the meantime, it's inspired me to dust off my trusty old trek bike, and build up the miles (and legs) on that... so taking my time before I buy one is not necessarily a bad thing!
The Oxygen easily did 37 miles on a very hilly route and fulll power and PAS level six and still had one bar left when I got home, therefore on less hilly routes and lower power it should easily do fifty miles.

You can save power by not using it when going downhill too.

• Informative