C2W scheme best value currently

Martin@e-bikeshop

Esteemed Pedelecer
All an employer needs to allow bikes of >£1k up to £4.5k is a CCL. This is dead easy to obtain for any business but most can't be bothered to try as getting one on account of cycle2work is usually not at the top of their priority list. Usual story !
Yes plus the £1000 for CCL, we obtained one a few years back.
Not much to a big employer. But at a £1000 certainly something I thought about over night before applying! :) At least the CCL lasts forever now, it used to have to be renewed!

Regards
Martin

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
We sell a range of quality bikes including crank drives. Also have a German Ave ch edition for 1299. Normally 1799. Hub powered bike but has hydraulic brakes and 8 alfine hub gears. You are welcome to give us a call for more info. Or check out our website. Good luck finding your perfect e bike. David

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Yes plus the £1000 for CCL, we obtained one a few years back.
There is that - a bit of a rip-off considering the arrangement is one in the ordinary course of employment of an employee and not a commercial undertaking for profit / reward. Puts small businesses at an unfair disadvantage - as per usual.

There ought to be an exemption for companies obtaining a CCL limited to the scope of arrangements covered by the c2W scheme. However, that would involve the OFT redefining things and all the beaurocracy gets too much for the poor luvs to handle in a joined-up way. Many employers need CCLs for other purposes and can just apply their existing licence to this application.

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Ok if you don't all mind I'd like to concentrate on which bike to choose rather than details of the scheme.

Think I'd prefer 700c, 36V, hub or crank drive and a throttle rather than just pedelec. All suggestions appreciated.

Tonaro have been suggested and the Eagle has their crank drive that appears highly rated. Although for simplicity if possible I'd prefer the price of the bike I choose to be £1000 max.

The more I look the more of a headache I'm getting; it's not an easy decision and I've only got until the end of the month to sort this out..........

Many thanks
Mark

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Ok if you don't all mind I'd like to concentrate on which bike to choose rather than details of the scheme.

Think I'd prefer 700c, 36V, hub or crank drive and a throttle rather than just pedelec. All suggestions appreciated.

Tonaro have been suggested and the Eagle has their crank drive that appears highly rated. Although for simplicity if possible I'd prefer the price of the bike I choose to be £1000 max.

The more I look the more of a headache I'm getting; it's not an easy decision and I've only got until the end of the month to sort this out..........

Many thanks
Mark
Are you set on 700C ? Because if not, on your budget, I'd go for this bike :

The Sirocco CD | Chain Drive Electric Bikes from Woosh | electric bike sales & hire

Woosh participate in Cycle2Work : Cycle to work scheme | Electric Bikes from Woosh | electric bike sales & hire

... the bike is £200 less than your top budget and a very good buy for that price.

You might need to wait till 1st week in May for delivery, but as they say - good things come to he who waits.... if your scheme offer will accommodate delivery after end of the month against an order placed before this might work for you in any event. If not you'll need to compromise and find something immediately in stock that'll do instead.

Last edited:

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Are you set on 700C ? Because if not, on your budget, I'd go for this bike :The Sirocco CD | Chain Drive Electric Bikes from Woosh

... the bike is £200 less than your top budget and a very good buy for that price.

You might need to wait till 1st week in May for delivery, but as they say - good things come to he who waits..
Hi Alex,

Thanks for that; Anniegirl also suggested the Woosh CD models and I have been reading with interest what DaveH has said of the one he's been trialing.

I think you may well be right and that this is the best value bike for the money currently.

It is very kind of you all to take the time to reply to a newbies ramblings.

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
Tried to place an order for the Sirocco CD yesterday, however apparently Woosh don't work with third parties for C2W (the dealer running our scheme anyway)......

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
That's a shame. When you take into account the total "rental payments" together with the final purchase payment (25% of original cost or something like that I think) then how much money in total would you actually pay for a £1000 bike in cash terms ?

If you're a higher rate taxpayer then the tax and employee's NI savings you make from paying rental payments out of gross salary rather than from net pay might be significant. However you need to do the maths because if you're a basic rate taxpayer then depending on the scheme arrangement you might only save a couple of hundred quid. If that's the case then if you like the bike just buy it outside the scheme and organize your own finance if you can.

It's only 75% or so of the bike's cost that you're getting an income tax break on not the whole amount owing to the final payment so it pays to work out whether getting a bike under the scheme that's not quite what you're looking for at a discount is better than buying one that suits you for RRP. Bit like buying clothes that don't fit in the sale because they're 50% off :). The Sirocco CD is very keenly priced for its specification in terms of value for money so to be honest might be worth exploring other options and doing the costings carefully.

Sounds like the 3rd party scheme operator has some bulk buy allocations somewhere - like rental car firms used to have with Renaults that lasted about 12 months before falling to bits ? :confused: Often that means they offload vehicles to the schemes which won't hold their value or are hard to find buyers for at RRP. But I may be being a tad cynical :eek:

Mrke

Pedelecer
Mar 15, 2013
@ @ @ Many thanks to you all for the ideas and suggestions @ @ @

However, I missed the close of the C2W scheme so now intend to look more into the full range of bikes available privately.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
Good luck, Mrke - I'm sure you'll find something which you get on with.

manalog

Pedelecer
Mar 25, 2013
You are probably lucky to miss it. I regret signing up for it now I only have limited choice and apparently some Shops will not sell you the bike under the Scheme at a discount as some Cycle to work operators takes 10-15% so if a bike is already heavily discounted the shop will make a loss!

@ @ @ Many thanks to you all for the ideas and suggestions @ @ @

However, I missed the close of the C2W scheme so now intend to look more into the full range of bikes available privately.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
We are probably signing up with Cyclescheme, as it seems to be so widespread.

Have been talking to someone at their Bath office (very helpful actually) who said that although there is an expiry date for certificates they are still valid after that (so I am guessing some sort of reactivation is needed, that's all). She also said, interestingly, that quite a few employees, having gone through the process of applying to their employers, succeeding and getting their certificates, then dither about the bikes...and even forget to buy them! Food for thought.

Hatti