Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
there is plenty of room on the pavement and no speed limit ;)
You might be onto something there SW. That particular bit of road isn't good at the best of times for cyclists due to the curve, parked cars, and it's a busy rat-run. The footpath has however just been re-surfaced and is pretty good now, all the way along :)

Gaz

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I wouldn't pay an excessive amount for a bike cam (£100 max for me). You've all seen my vids and, as d8veh mentioned, youtube does a max of 1080p resolution. 30 fps (frames per second) is plenty for smooth play to the human eye. My current bike cams cost 80 quid when new out. They went down to £25 before they disappeared off the market.

cam.jpg

Mine still work, but they're falling to bits now. They're easily rattled lose, bumped or lost on bikes and the most expensive isn't necessarily the best either, in my humble opinion. :)

Reactions: Gaz

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
@4k 30fps it uses the hole 32gb mem card and batt just about does it.

on mine what does my hed in is the files are split every 5 mins so have to edit it and render it.

if it was all one file you tube will post it at 4k just you cant edit it in you tube or goes to 1080p.

or stick that 8k one on ur hat ;)

topographer

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Mid Yorkshire
The camera resolution is currently set at 1080P 60fps, but I wondered if 2k 30fps, or 4k 24fps would be better? 120fps is only optioned at 720P, which I'm guessing would be a sharper image at a reduced pixel quality - or have I got that round the wrong way?
You know when you watch a hollywood film and the camera pans across a scene, the footage is blurry until the camera comes to a stop again. That's because films use 24 frames per second. It's not good for filming anything that's moving quite quickly. The more quickly the object moves the higher the frame rate you need, assuming you're not going for the arty look. But for sharper you need more pixels. You should just experiment with the settings. All you need to do is take videos a few seconds long at each setting.

Peter Ball

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2015
Hi,

Looking to get the Duchess a birthday present (I really owe her at the moment) so thought about a camera she could clip onto the handlebars of her beloved bike, I'm pretty sure she wouldn't wear a helmet one.

Don't know too much about them so would really appreciate any advice or suggestions. I guess one of the things it would need is a fairly good battery to get a decent recording time.

Thanks for any help.
Hi All,

As anyone tried the Kaiser Baas action cams sold by Maplins on their bike or, knows anything about them ie quality wise etc?

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The picture seems worse than the resolution would suggest. Do you have the camera in a crappy plastic housing perhaps? Maybe it's just the mist and moisture that's the problem.
Its handy to be still recording when some road rager decides to get out and have a pop at you!
I dont think the police are over bothered about bad driving, or to be more precise, dont have the time to be over bothered about bad driving, but a recording of abuse and or violence would be a different matter entirely.. And it does happen!

D

Deleted member 4366

£270 for 1080P camera? There's loads of 4K ones for around £90. The 2K SJcam 20 has image stabilisation too. 1080P isn't really reliable enough to catch car number plates.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
£270 for 1080P camera? There's loads of 4K ones for around £90. The 2K SJcam 20 has image stabilisation too. 1080P isn't really reliable enough to catch car number plates.
Yes its a tad expensive.. I have the original Fly12 which is what was seen in the bike shop and I also have a gopro and the Fly12 is much more useable.
I like it because it is robust, does not look like a camera, has a light, a long run time, one button turn on for both, auto overwrite, auto turn off if you forget, audible battery status.
Other functions I dont use are.. Built in alarm, the ability to view, download, trim, add metrics from Strava, and upload to youtube via built in WiFi and Bluetooth without taking out the card or off of the bike.
The light isnt good enough on its own for unlit streets but is ideal as a daytime running light in flash mode, and all the settings need to be set up using a smartphone app which wont do for some. But I Consider it to be a fit and forget sort of gadget and I only recharge it when it tells me its down to 25%.
I would say its designed more for roadies who go out for longer hours and need the "up to 9 hours runtime"..
My Gopro on the other hand often stops because either the card is full or the battery is low. It does looping, but it starts a new loop every turn on so eventually it gets full, and it always stops at the most inopertune moment..

D

Deleted member 4366

These are the features I'd be looking for if I wanted a new camera:

Rolling road (loop) recording.
Ability to operate whilst charging.
USB charge connector.
Moderately wide angle view
Image stabilisation.
High resolution (ideally 4k)
Auto start stop (motion detection)
Waterproof

Last edited by a moderator:

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
These are the features I'd be looking for if I wanted a new camera:

Rolling road (loop) recording.
Ability to operate whilst charging.
USB charge connector.
Moderately wide angle view
Image stabilisation.
High resolution (ideally 4k)
Auto start stop (motion detection)
Waterproof

I just looked at the SJcam website. Blast! The M20 is now 4k at 30fps for £90. I could then have one on the front and one on the back.

https://sjcam.com/product/m20/

£72 here, though you need to check that it's the latest spec. the advert is a bit ambiguous. Other websites are selling the 2k version for about the same price:
https://www.tidebuy.com/product/Sjcam-M20-Gyro-Mini-Action-Helmet-Sports-Dv-Camera-Waterproof-4k-24fps-2k-30fps-Ntk96660-16mp-12644911.html?c=GBP&tb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&adword_mt=&adword_ct=154476925133&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o3&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_id=7283679273_689428513_35742051975_pla-343490289584&gclid=CjwKCAiAjanRBRByEiwAKGyjZeOnmlyVpfbZ9FDi1dVibeju7VWSoMocNRhGN0RUANosP-otUVmliRoC9O4QAvD_BwE
Looks like a nice little camera.. why do most of these camera manufacturers only put small batteries in them? That's my biggest ctritism of my gopro.. yes it can be used while plugged in, and I used it for a long time plugged into the Bosch display which was great but using in the winter made the cable connectors go rusty and having the rubber tab permanently open on the display worried me enough to stop doing it so used an external power pack for a while which isn't ideal as I kept forgetting to turn it off.
It's nearly 5 years old now and is permanently mounted on the mtb fork stantions. (Recent black ice video) so I can't grumble about it's value for money or reliability.
So when I saw the fly12 which has a motion sensor to turn it off, looping video, built in light and a much longer runtime as well as all the other stuff I decided it was a good buy.
I use both cams (one on each bike) and the old gopro probly makes the better video, but I prefer the fly12 if only for the fit and forget dash cam sort of use.
Of course all this miniature 4k stuff wasn't about back then and it just shows how good the early gopro cams were.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I made a rash statement in my last post so thought I should check it out. I have a problem with footage loosing quality when uploaded to you tube so took some stills direct from the cameras. The MTB pic is the go-pro at its maximum 1080P @30 fps and the Fly 12 is also at 1080P @30 fps which inst its maximum. On the go-pro footage in general the number plates are not too clear whereas the Fly12's are much better. So I retract saying the go-pro is better as clearly it inst, but still good for its age.
Done a bit more reading up on the new fly12 and it has some cool extra stuff in there.. USB-C charging, wireless control of video and light by ant+ from a bike computer (ANT+ Bike Light Device Profile ), Black box indecent protection (in an accident it locks the footage so it cant be erased).
It also offers 1920x1080P HDR.. I know what HDR is but how that will show on the video quality is anybodies guess..

Will say whether or not its a waste of money when it arrives..

Attachments

D

Deleted member 4366

Battery life at maximum resolution is about 1 hr 20 mins for the M20, but it's one of the few cameras that will record while charging, so you can run it off your USB if you have one to get more or less infinite battery life, or you can run it from a USB powerpack. Even a single cell powerpack would give enough power for the longest rides at about 7 hours.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
SJCAM M20 is pretty good at £90. It has the giro stabiliser and 2k resolution. the battery lasts about 90 mins recording at 2k 30 fps. I take a spare for 3 hour rides, though you can power it by USB from a separate powerpack if you want. It does rolling-road recording, so you don't need to delete anything.

here's some footage I took on my road bike, so it's a bit more bumpy than an MTB with suspension forks, and it's been cut down to 1080P by Youtube. the original is higher resolution at 2k.

SJCAM M20 is pretty good at £90. It has the giro stabiliser and 2k resolution. the battery lasts about 90 mins recording at 2k 30 fps. I take a spare for 3 hour rides, though you can power it by USB from a separate powerpack if you want. It does rolling-road recording, so you don't need to delete anything.

here's some footage I took on my road bike, so it's a bit more bumpy than an MTB with suspension forks, and it's been cut down to 1080P by Youtube. the original is higher resolution at 2k.

Argh! Telford and it's many, many rounabouts. The only place I got hopelesly lost trying to find the centre! Next time I'll use a m/c Tom Tom a mate gave me if I can find enough room on the handlebars. No camera though.