Can anyone help me ID this connector on a battery pack?

emjay

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2014
I'm trying to figure what male cable connector I need to plug into the female connector on an Eclipse Whale battery pack. Here's a pic of the female connector:

I ended up not using the provided frame mount (which this connector would normally...err...connect to) so I need to wire the matching male connector onto the power wires that go to the controller. Searching for "round 2 pin DC power connector" brings up way too many options.

I'm trying to figure what male cable connector I need to plug into the female connector on an Eclipse Whale battery pack. Here's a pic of the female connector:

I ended up not using the provided frame mount (which this connector would normally...err...connect to) so I need to wire the matching male connector onto the power wires that go to the controller. Searching for "round 2 pin DC power connector" brings up way too many options.
Why not take the connecting plug out of the supplied base mount itself?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

emjay

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2014
Why not take the connecting plug out of the supplied base mount itself?

That's what I'm using right now, but the connector out of the base mount is obviously designed to be in a solid mount and not at the end of a cable - i.e. it has no shielding for the incoming wires, no strain relief and no good place to grab it to pull it out of the other connector.

That's what I'm using right now, but the connector out of the base mount is obviously designed to be in a solid mount and not at the end of a cable - i.e. it has no shielding for the incoming wires, no strain relief and no good place to grab it to pull it out of the other connector.
Not ideal by any means, but I think that's what it's designed to connect to.
Could you modify (chop) the original mount bracket to provide more purchase, heat shrinking internally as you go?
I've not seen anything purpose built that delivers what you're seeking.
Perhaps someone has or original supplier has a suitable product/solution?
Hope you get it sorted :)

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
Search ebay for 2 pin connector

It may be worth changing the socket over

eBay item numbers below

emjay

Pedelecer
Apr 16, 2014
The second ebay link looks like it might be worth a punt. Not sure on the rating though: the listing says 10A @ 400V AC, my controller is max 25A @ 48V DC and I am not confident to even begin to calculate whether that rating is sufficient or not :)

Chris.L

Pedelecer
Sep 13, 2017
Lincolnshire
This one is 30Amp 500 volt so maybe some one will be able to tell you if this would work
ebay number

Edward Long

Just Joined
Apr 7, 2012

I think this may be a speaker socket, try CPC who will have a large range of plugs and sockets. I recently used them for plugs and sockets to connect a nano motor and battery on a Brompton

Giocast

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 14, 2020

I know it's a few years since anyone's posted on this thread, but certainly found it helpful.
I've ordered a new connector male/female but meanwhile waiting for it to arrive, i've have reduced the plastic flange width on the male body by around a millimetre to increase surface area of plug when inserted. The flange was plenty thick enough to tolerate this reduction and it's extended the life of the plug for now, no more cutting out.
I ought to add that I don't recommend you try this at home without having prior experience of similar modification work. I wrapped the thread with masking tape for protection as seen in the picture.

This was a totally last resort approach, as no other facility for increasing the plug engagement, I had meticulously cleaned both pin and socket several times and used contact cleaner, but previous arcing meant that the normally touching faces now had a gap as a result of the constant erosion.

Last edited: