Can i dump the crappy Brake Levers

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I don't know if this has been asked before but not recently anyway so here goes.
I run two bikes with BBS01's neither with throttles and i would like to fit decent brake levers, I have a programming cable so I can reduce the engine lag to virtually nothing.
I am not brave enough to try running without the cut off brakes without at least getting the advice of the people who know these things first that's why I am asking on the only non American site worth bothering with.
Alternatively i could get the kit for converting hydraulic brakes I suppose but i would rather not epoxy magnets and things to my beautiful brake levers if at all possible but maybe its not as horrific as it sounds as i have never seen one in real life. Anyway what do you guys think.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You can mount a bra
I don't know if this has been asked before but not recently anyway so here goes.
I run two bikes with BBS01's neither with throttles and i would like to fit decent brake levers, I have a programming cable so I can reduce the engine lag to virtually nothing.
I am not brave enough to try running without the cut off brakes without at least getting the advice of the people who know these things first that's why I am asking on the only non American site worth bothering with.
Alternatively i could get the kit for converting hydraulic brakes I suppose but i would rather not epoxy magnets and things to my beautiful brake levers if at all possible but maybe its not as horrific as it sounds as i have never seen one in real life. Anyway what do you guys think.
Hydraulic brakes on both bikes?

A button on the bars will do the trick, often has a horn symbol on it. You wire that up to the brake cable on the controller.

https://bmsbattery.com/parts/380-ebike-speaker-button-parts.html

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
Nope, Avid BB7's on one and V brakes on the other,I prefer easily replaced cables to Hydraulic.
So cut the wires that go to the bafang brake and wire in a push button?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you can remove the Hall switch from the supplied lever and mount it somewhere on the handlebar or on a bar extension to experiment how practical it is.
The problem happens in tight cornering when you control the speed with pedaling, your bike may be on high assist, that's fine with a torque sensor but not with a cadence sensor.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Nope, Avid BB7's on one and V brakes on the other,I prefer easily replaced cables to Hydraulic.
So cut the wires that go to the bafang brake and wire in a push button?
I have a hidden wire brake sensor on the back brake. You can get a couple from PSWpower for $12:

http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-an-jt6a

The page is a bit confusing but there are two brake sensor in each lot.

whiteturbo

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2016
Bristol UK
I have a hidden wire brake sensor on the back brake. You can get a couple from PSWpower for $12:

That looks good or the green button from bafang. BUT I am running one of my bikes with ordinary brake levers(no cut off connections) as an experiment and i cant tell the difference except the brakes are better with the proper levers. I do realize that its only $12 plus postage but i am coming round to thinking i don't actually need anything, I don't run a throttle and if i'm not pedaling then the motor is cut off anyway and at a junction i am usually in zero or possibly one, so what is likely to go wrong? is there instances where anyone has had a problem except when using a throttle thats gone kaput. I know the health and safety lobby would say i'm removing a layer of safety but is it really necessary? or is it just EU political correctness.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Why does the EU get the blame for everything?
Because they are evil... :p

- they want better consumer protection
- they want worker protection
- they want environmental protection

For all of the above they propose directives that can or may not be made into law by the sovereign nations that make up the EU. When a sovereign nation does write a directive into law the EU makes sure that law is enforced correctly by the sovereign nation - you don't, you are fined.

It also distributes cash to poorer areas of the EU, controls fishing quotas to preserve the resource (electric nets banned last month) and has a crappy agricultural policy that annoys everyone including small farmers...

- It doesn't get everything 100% right
- it often seems to be piloted by corporate lobbying (hey Bayer now that we can't paint Monsanto as evil guess who are the bad guys in the agro-chem industry?)
- it doesn't communicate what it does best very efficiently
- the electoral system gave the fascist extreme right wing a foothold in the political system across Europe

Reactions: chris_n