Can it be done? a hill-climbing & range calculator...

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Can it be done? Ideas for a hill-climbing & range calculator...

I realise this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the idea has been mooted before on this forum, and it may not be as difficult as it seems to roughly quantify these things as a guide to gauging any given bike's strengths...

Something that might be useful on the site is a diagram showing various hill gradients and then each bikes theoretical speed for each gradient.

Obviously there are lots of variables (rider weight, battery condition etc) but it could give at least an indication of what could be expected in the stated conditions.

Would anyone else find this useful ?
Certainly would! But, as flecc said:

I'll have to have a think about this Russ, it might be incredibly complex given the number of bikes on the market. It's not easily possible to group them, since the power variations are considerable between bikes that look to have the same spec. For example, these three bikes are listed as 200 watts:

eZee Quando, peak output at 8.7 mph, 576 watts

eZee Torq, peak output at 12 mph, 576 watts

Powacycle Windsor, peak output at 8 mph, 270 watts

All three have very different hill climbing abilities, the Torq much less than the Quando because of the higher speed at which the peak power appears, so the available power per metre travelled is less by the compounded proportion of the speed change.

In turn the Windsor is much less again, but this time due to very low peak power from the motor in the interests of long range. This also illustrates the huge power variation I've referred to.

It could all get horribly complicated and need brain exercises. :)
Hehehe! Hopefully not too complicated, though I can't rule out some brain exercises for those who may want to implement it so that others may benefit...

I agree that some thought would be needed as to how best to accurately predict and graphically (or otherwise) represent different bikes' hill climbing ability (e.g. what speed on what gradient; maximum gradient possible; how the amount of leg-power assistance affects both of these etc. under given conditions as you say, Russ) in a simple, user-friendly way (eh? Nigel?!), but it would be a very useful
guide to assist in matching a bike with one's terrain and leg-power.

I did look at this http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/50-spreadsheet-calculator.html Miles, and I agree that

Without access to a sample bike, it's difficult to verify anything..

What might be useful, is a very simple online calculator, so that visitors could get some idea of what they could reasonably expect from a given size of motor and battery, with realistic efficiencies..... It would give them a reference when comparing specifications. Like the buyers guide, it might be a good draw to your website.
That would also be a useful tool to go alongside or even be incorporated with a hill-climbing calculator in a more comprehensive model, if they could be done, taking a lot of the guesswork out of choosing a bike - and be a very useful resource for this site.

For the first part (hill-climbing calculation), there is a simple formula (I'm sure some of you must know this one, so please check my figures are right - I'd hate to mislead anyone! ) which only requires a calculator (or a nice program/spreadsheet, anyone?) and some fairly basic motor specs (once we've all measured our "nemesis" hill's gradient!:http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/electric-bicycles/199-measuring-your-hills-percentage-figure.html Thanks for the very useful tool, flecc!) to estimate a bike's ability to tackle a gradient.

(Look away now if you're squeamish about maths/equations! - its not that bad, honest!)

The equation relates only 4 basic variables and can be "rearranged" to calculate any one in terms of the other 3, the two main versions I have used being:

1. Total power output required for a bike and rider of given weight to climb a hill of a given gradient at a given speed:

Power [watts]= 9.8 X weight[kg] X speed[m/s] X gradient
(m/s = meters per second)

2. max. gradient possible at a given speed, power output and weight (bike & rider):

gradient = Power / (9.8 X weight[kg] X speed[m/s])

where
Power = total Power output (motor+legpower) [Watts]
speed = uphill speed [m/s] (metres per second)
weight = total weight of bike+rider+luggage [kg]
Gradient - either divide "percentage" gradient by 100 e.g. for 10% use
10/100 = 0.1, or simply divide height gain by horizontal distance
e.g. "1 in 10" becomes 1/10 = 0.1.

[N.B. The calculation only works if the correct units are used, so here are conversion factors for speed & weight units (for the adventurous!):

speed:
km/h to m/s : divide by 3.6
mph to m/s : divide by 2.23

weight:
lbs to kg : divide by 2.2 (or multiply by 5/11)
stones to kg : either multiply by 14 then as for lbs-kg, or multiply by 6.364]

Please see this thread for info on an important "guesstimated" correction to this basic formula to account for wind & rolling resistance (required for more realistic & accurate predictions, as alluded to below - thanks Peter & Flecc!)

For example, The total power output required for a 100kg bike & rider to climb a 10% (0.1 gradient) hill at, say, 5 m/s (18 km/h or 11.15 mph) would be:

power [watts]= (9.8 X 100 X 5 X 0.1) watts = 490 watts

So with a combined leg & motor power of 490W at 5m/s you'd expect to be able to climb at that speed. The optimum climbing speed for a given bike will depend on the speed at which its motor's peak power output occurs, e.g. ~12mph for the Torq, so the example given is close to the Torq's "rated maximum" gradient capability (10%), in this case for a 75kg / 165lb / 11st 11lb rider (approx).

It should also be said that the equation only applies for motion in a straight line, on a constant gradient and in still air (no headwind or tailwind).

It could be tweaked (for accuracy) and/or extended to incorporate more variables such as range under certain battery conditions etc. : the model could be made as complex as anyone :rolleyes: wants to make it, but as a simple first approximation and so long as folks understand that it is only a guide and should only be used as a provisional estimate of a bike's "ideal" capability (actual performance may vary according to many variable "real-life" factors not accounted for in the calculation e.g. headwinds, tyre rolling resistance/friction, road conditions etc.) - in short, use common sense & take it with a small pinch of salt & you'll have a good estimate of any given bike's limits.

For the 2nd part (graphical/otherwise representaion), I've a few ideas, but nothing definite, besides, tabulation, graph-making & programming aren't really my department unfortunately... anyone?! :D

Stuart.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There's no problems with those equations Stuart, I use exactly those two for my calculations for both bike capability and bike + rider capability as I did for Quicken a few threads ago. They're permanently in memory and I just do them the individual way by calculator.

Incidentally, when measuring the speed of a bike/rider combination on a hill, the conversion of m/s to mph I use at the end is x 2.23, once more for the toolbox! I think you'll find that the mph to m/s you've given, divide by 2.16 needs correcting to 2.23. :)

Last edited:

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Excellent post Stuart. I'm still very keen on a range/climbing ability guide for the site/forum!

Maybe if we start with the bikes we all have along with some common gradients people understand from road signs they see out on the roads we can start to build a list on this thread. I can them collate it and add it to the main site and forum FAQ and add to it as we come across more bikes. Also once we've knocked together the theory it would be great if folks are able to put it to the test and post results back here.

I guess start as simple as possible, try it out, modify it.

cheers
Russ.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Russ

Can you say exactly what figures and facts you want us to publish in this thread? For example, maximum gradient possible bike only, ditto with rider. Guestimation of rider ability, age group, fitness group or watts. Speed bike and rider on a given hill gradient etc. Whilst make, model and range is easily given, should terrain be indicated?

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Thanks for verifying the equations flecc :) shame my maths let me down on the conversion - I knew I should have checked that: I use a simple but clearly less accurate conversion factor of 1km ~ 0.6 miles - I'll trust that your figure is more accurate & will change it before I get into trouble...

Thanks for your response Russ - I thought you'd like that :D I agree, nice idea to "test" how well the theory matches "real-world" situations, this could be the start of a mega e-bike hill-climb experiment if you're not careful! would be very interesting to see how good a guide it is in practice, but I'm sure flecc would agree, having used them himself, they should be a pretty good approximation under "normal" circumstances.

I just hope the "brain exercise" hasn't driven anyone away:rolleyes:

re your last post flecc, good point - its a minefield of possible variables, Russ, and would be difficult to "standardize" bike/motor performance in isolation, i.e. without accounting for factors like those flecc listed. It is after all often a power-assisted mode of transport, so each rider's experience will be different...

What do you think flecc? I'd suggest if the goal is a range/climbing ability guide which sounds good, the simplest way to begin is to use the equations as a guide, & then see how different riders' usage and styles affects the predicted range of environments a bike will function effectively in, and thus what the main extra factors affecting the performance would be (first guess would be fitness/age, weight (sorry :rolleyes: ), tyre choice/pressure & bike gearing, then battery condition and so on, but not an endless list and certainly quantifiable. Headwinds, bends etc also will make a big difference, but common sense can guess those and we can't be responsible for weather now,can we?

Differences like motor+legpower or motor only can be easily accounted for in the equations, and even the degree of legpower assistance can be guestimated for riders of different age/fitness levels, so I'd be optimistic a rough guide can be pieced together.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great reply Mike. That told 'em! :D

Right, here goes. To start on a pessimistic note and show what a minefield this is, I've already done plenty of work on this. On a typical list of eight popular high to medium powered bikes calculated to find the maximum gradient they could climb unassisted by a 75 kilo rider, the Quando came second with 13.8%. In practice it easily climbs 12% and will just manage 14% with a newly charged battery, so it just matches the calculation.

The Torq uses exactly the same power chain, battery through to motor, and it's lighter, so it should do better right? Wrong! It calculates as capable of 8.6% and came last of the eight bikes. As if that's not bad enough, in practice it can't even do that, it just scrapes 7%, half what the heavier Quando manages.

Why? It's because the motor in the Torq is in a 28" wheel, as opposed to the 20" wheel of the Quando, so is geared up by 40%. Instead of the maximum torque appearing at around 8.5 mph as in the Quando, it now appears at about 12 mph. At the higher speed much more power is needed to do the same thing. If the Torq attempts the 12% hill at the same 8.5 mph of the Quando's optimum, it's so far below it's power band that it's lost over 40% of it's power, so can't do it anyway.

Portraying the mighty Torq in this way isn't exactly going to excite it's makers or importers, and will bring dissatisfaction from owners.

Adding a fixed average rider power for that 75 kilo rider improves matters considerably for two reasons. The Quando has only a single gear so cannot use the rider input as efficiently. The Torq with it's 8 gears now has an advantage in one respect, but that still won't allow it to beat the Quando where the steep hill limit for bike and rider combined is determined, though the result will be much closer.

If we now fix a more moderate hill, say 8%, for both bike and rider combined, the Torq if restricted and the Quando will be about quits. This is because the Quando is restricted only by the motor which is free to help a bit above 15 mph, which the rider can just pedal to with the 70" gear. The restricted Torq will cut motor power at exactly 15 mph and the average rider won't be likely to push it more than a bit beyond that up a 8% hill. In practice they'll both possibly reach 16/17 mph.

Now if we derestrict the Torq, it wins easily, since it's free to assist the rider to beyond 20 mph, so in combination on an 8%, possibly 18/19 mph could be reached by bike and average rider. The Quando will not have advanced from the 16 mph before, due to the motor being at it's limit and the 70" gear preventing the rider from pedalling any faster.

So which is the better bike? The Quando won the first two, was quits on number three, but lost number four. I hope you can now see what a potential quagmire this is, just from using two bikes only for comparison. Who's going to accept the Quando is better than the Torq?

How this can be presented fairly in single form is beyond me, I'm afraid, but hopefully this contribution will inspire what is really needed to do something in this direction.

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
coop

no it didnt drive me away basicly because i dont understand a word of it :confused:

I'm so sorry electric.mike, it was never my intention to bamboozle or confuse anyone - maybe I should have made the "mental health" warning clearer :(

I did say it may not be to all tastes, this approach to assessing ebikes, but I believe it does have many benefits and, hopefully as I said, can eventually be put in an accessible, user-friendly form which it clearly isn't right now. Understand I'm in the process of choosing an ebike and for others like me this may be one useful guide to choosing a suitable bike for one's needs.

I did try to make it as straightforward and clear as I could: if you want me to explain it better or differently (and I guess you have an interest, else you would not have been inclined to read & post) then I'm only too happy to help.

However, if you're quite happy with your owned (that present or past tense? Did you buy a new bike recently?) ebikes - quite a collection there! - and ebiking experience, and don't wish to visit this route, then I fully respect that also and am happy for you and wish you continued good cycling and health :D

Lastly, if, like me, you are looking for an ebike to meet your needs, then you may benefit from a range/hill ability guide if it ever materialises.

There, that's a win-win-win situation if I ever heard one!

One more thing I meant to add before, the vital piece of information needed to do the sums & often notable by its absence for some bikes/kits, is the motor's peak power output. Without this, any calculation is useless, so some bikes/kits may be harder to assess this way...

P.S. mike, I learned nearly all the info in that post, bar the physics :D, from this forum, so its all here, somewhere, I just tried to piece it together here...

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
We've posted together again Stuart! My contribution is just above your last one.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
We've posted together again Stuart! My contribution is just above your last one.
:D hehehe yes I just saw, and was being so careful not to miss a post this time... shucks, well you know what they say - great minds think alike ;) :rolleyes:

Haven't read you reply fully, and am on way out, but just to say that I think your post makes a good point and while illustrating how confusing just that one aspect is shows the complexity, it could also be an ideal example to understand better how bike design can influence performance in this respect, since the same motor is used in very different ways to produce two very different bikes - torq & quando - and I look forward to the challenge of trying to explain (in a simple way!) how that can be predicted from the design (for instance, you also have good data on comparative performance on various gradients - I think this could be indicated from the facts available but I'll have to think about it first...!

Just please don't think that I'm out to make problems or create confusion, nor will I be convinced that this "equation" method helps till I see it does, but to me & some others maybe, its worth a try if it helps people make a good choice of bike they'll be happy with :)

Stuart.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
As you both point out, it's important that this information is presented fairly i.e. showing a bike's strengths AND weaknesses. Using these statistics it would be possible for a newcomer to draw a conclusion that the Torq is not a good hill climber, but that is not the end of the story. On gentler gradients it really does fly and on flat terrain it is unbeatable. There are also many other factors one considers when buying an electric bike such as range, style of frame, seating position, extras, price etc. The 'guide' should present all this information together - not a simple challenge!

electric bikes for sale

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The fact that I've used the equations to highlight this problem proves they definitely are useful, but the results need interpretation as I've shown. And that's where they can so easily fail to be useful as Electric Mike has shown above. He won't want "if this, here's the result, but if that, this is the result".

Like many, he needs a conclusive definitive answer, but as I've shown, with those two bikes it isn't possible to give a single acceptable answer. The result of those four tests, that the Quando won, would be acceptable to hardly anyone, although as a Quando and Torq owner I know how very capable the Quando is, so I'd be more understanding of it's true relative position. For nearly everyone else who don't own both, that result could leave them baffled. :confused:

And it's not only those two bikes that produce such a quandary, there are others.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
and on flat terrain it is unbeatable.
Only if derestricted. If the Torq's restricted, other bikes naturally designed to reach motor limits round about the legal speed limit can beat it, since they are free to run a bit beyond on power, 17/18 mph in some cases, so giving more help, given equal riders on both. That's my third example, where the Quando only failed to get ahead because of it's single 70" gear.

Last edited:

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
coops
the main reason i didnt understand it is i gave up half way through, probaly every thing you say is correct and a good idea, but i learnt my lesson in photography, in the early days it was film i new the resolving power of film and lense combinations ie nikkor and kodachrome 25 gave cracking results, 6x6cm gave better tonal gradation than 35mm, but kodachrome 25 was too slow, 6x6 was bulky and slower to use with seperate light metres,and tons more info i stuffed into my head, i made similar mistakes when i turned digital i tried to know too much and it didnt help my photography one bit,in the end i joined a photo forum explained my interests took advice from several people, and bought a digital camera and lenses that was highly rated on the forum.
i bought my first electric bike without being able to talk to anyone,and i was lucky, the only reason i have purchased a second one is because i never thought i would want to do this much towing.
the second one was purchased after asking advice on this forum and then ignoring it.
ime sure if you turned your idea into a few boxes that i could just enter a few figures into i could then get involved without having to understand it and may find it usefull.
i am probaly saying from a point of total ignorance there must be too many variables even down to where you live surely a battery would perform less well on winters day in scotland than the south coast so if you only end up with set of figures that have prefixes like "up to" or "should achieve" or "with nominal pedaling" will it be of any more help than asking other users on this growing forum.
i nearly didnt post this because it sounds a bit like ime having a pop at you and i am NOT i just doubt you can vector in enough variables.
its strange when something is said in conversation it never seems as critical as when writen.
mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
its strange when something is said in conversation it never seems as critical as when written.
mike
How true Mike, but I'm sure that as experienced 'net users, no-one in here will take exception.

Your position on this is the same as mine essentially, that the possible variables are so great that producing something genuinely widely useful is going to be somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's some of those figures I produced previously. The first group is the eight bikes, showing the steepest hill their own power could climb by calculation. As said above, the Torq in practice can only manage 7%, this being a very unfair test for it, as it's not it's designed purpose.

Below there's two more bikes, this time very low powered models to illustrate another presentation problem. It might appear that they are virtually useless on hills, but that's not in fact true. Once a rider's power is added, there's considerable equalisation. For example, adding an average rider's 250 watts to the 576 watt Quando will add 43% to it's power, but the same 250 watts nearly doubles the Windsor's 270 watts. The Windsor's lower peak torque point makes up some more of the difference, so although it couldn't begin to compete with the former, the Windsor is much more capable than it appears at first. Likewise the low geared Bliss.

eZee Chopper - - - - - - - - -14%
eZee Quando - - - - - - - - - 13.8%
eZee Sprint - - - - - - - - - - 11.1%
Heinzmann/14 kg bike - - - - -11%
BionX/Tivoli Miele - - - - - - - 10.9%
eZee Cadence - - - - - - - - -10.9%
Giant Suede. - - - - - - - - - - 8.6%
eZee Torq. - - - - - - - - - - - 8.6%

Powacycle Windsor. - - - - - - 5.9%
Bliss Folder - - - - - - - - - - - 5.5%

In this next example, the bikes speed is calculated for an 8% hill. This time the Torq and Chopper results appear turned on their head to some extent, but since the Torq in practice can't climb the 8% unassisted, the Quando is tops.

eZee Torq - - - - - - - - - - 13.15 mph
eZee Quando. - - - - - - - - 13.00 mph
eZee Sprint. - - - - - - - - - 11.3 mph
Heinzmann/14 kilo bike. - - - 11.3 mph
eZee Chopper - - - - - - - - 11.3 mph
BionX/Tivoli Miele. - - - - - - 11.2 mph
eZee Cadence - - - - - - - - 11.2 mph
Giant Suede. - - - - - - - - - 10.6 mph

The other problem illustrated in both lists, but especially in the second, is how close the results are for most bikes. In the first list, the steepest hill test, the Chopper won due to it's Sprint motor in a smaller wheel gearing it down at the cost of a lower top speed of about 13 mph. The Quando came second due to the sheer power of it's motor and normal gearing. The next four typical bikes are almost identical.

In the second list, the climb speed with the Torq excluded, the Quando was first for the same reason of it's power and normal gearing. All the rest of the bikes were almost identical. Putting an equivalent rider on them would change very little, other than the Torq being back in with a vengeance.

So it wouldn't really tell anyone anything other than a little folder from eZee being much better than most begin to realise.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Stuart, as an afterthought to your comment re: accepting the 2.23 conversion factor for m/s to and from mph, the error from using that is 0.178%. :eek:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
errrr... help?

Hmmmmmm.... well seems I've opened a bit of a can of worms - no problem, if it gets messy, it can easily be closed!

In all fairness, I may not have made it 100% clear, but I did try at least to gently give the impression this area is most definitely NOT for the faint-hearted or mathematically-averse, and that it was bound to be a work-in-progress, for development by anyone interested, until it may or may not end up in a user-friendly and accessible, useful form.

At that stage, if it succeeds, great (and it may even assist bike development if it influences consumer choice to purchase quality bikes) if not, it was worth a try and perhaps in other hands it may still succeed.

That said,

There's no problems with those equations Stuart,
Hehehe I think I can read between the lines now Flecc - "just a problem with interpretating their results" perhaps? :D I had no idea you'd already done plenty of work on this, maybe if I had I wouldn't have attempted to start anything, but on the other hand it is a headstart :).

As you both point out, it's important that this information is presented fairly i.e. showing a bike's strengths AND weaknesses. Using these statistics it would be possible for a newcomer to draw a conclusion that the Torq is not a good hill climber, but that is not the end of the story. On gentler gradients it really does fly and on flat terrain it is unbeatable. There are also many other factors one considers when buying an electric bike such as range, style of frame, seating position, extras, price etc. The 'guide' should present all this information together - not a simple challenge!
Agreed Russ, and not a simple challenge at all! - you just moved the goalposts! that's one real, comprehensive guide you're after!

i nearly didnt post this because it sounds a bit like ime having a pop at you and i am NOT i just doubt you can vector in enough variables.
its strange when something is said in conversation it never seems as critical as when writen.
mike
Thanks mike! I really appreciate your reply and the point & the sentiments you've put across: you are right, and much of what you say is all too familiar to me... and don't worry, I didn't feel at all like you were taking a pop at me, quite the opposite in fact & I'm very glad you did post. The last bit really made me laugh, and it really IS so true! I think its the rather cold, inexpressive medium of text that does it - why are we limited to 4 smilies per post Russ??! Is there happiness & expressiveness rationing going on??!!!! I've stopped putting them in, you know, because I always have to take half or more out for the post to work!!

Buying on recommendation is effective & a more natural approach, granted, but if you want to explore less trodden routes (e.g. motor add-on kits) then, given the lack of other users, other means of assessment may be required...

the possible variables are so great that producing something genuinely widely useful is going to be somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible
ok, I'll admit it, I'm beginning to agree!! Though there may still be room for something with less of an all-encompassing scope, a "rough-guide" to ebikes perhaps?!...

I agree there are "real-world" variables, which I've already mentioned, which may slightly affect the accuracy of the "model", but many of them are fairly intuitive e.g. tyre choice, headwinds etc. The bike's gearing (especially in hub motor bikes) would be one exception to this: as you point out, it does make a big difference to the possible pedal-power input especially at high/low speeds, but by making allowance for this in the leg-power quota of the total overall power output, i.e. by incorporating into the modelthe factors which you say require separate interpretation, albeit as minor corrections for individual bikes as necessary, when calculating max. speed/hillclimb ability the equation remains useable and helpful. If it can be identified & quantified, it can be used in the model.

To be thorough, an exhaustive list each of both included and excluded factors could be made, possibly similarly sub-divided into motor/leg category as above where useful, to examine this.

So, point taken regarding gears clouding the issue; apart from the other issue of the restricted Torq's reduced max speed (which, though not critical to major hill-climbing, would have to be handled somehow in any comprehensive ebike guide and does certainly affect range as torq owners have found...) the seemingly confusing disparities between the torq and quando's speed/hill-climbing can (I think) still be quite neatly shown by the model ... and I'm only going to express what you've already said, put differently!

The Torq/Quando is a great illustration, since both have same motor power, but differently "geared" in both motor & legpower (by wheel size for the motor & by the chainwheels for the pedal-power).

Put (I hope) simply, the former affects both the speed at which peak motor power is output (one required equation variable) and the (potential, if unrestricted) max speed achievable on the flat, while the latter affects the proportion of leg-power possible in the total (leg + motor) power output (another required variable) at low and high speed.

Though it is a bit messy, I'll admit, it IS do-able e.g. if, for instance, on a given bike, the max gradient climbable occurs at a speed below the peak motor power output speed, this could be predicted from a graph of total power output vs. speed, including a "correction" for the gear speed limitations on leg-power contribution if necessary for that bike.

So the main issue you raised, gearing, could be accounted for in the model and both motor/legpower -related variables can be quantified (I won't do the sums here!). Though it is getting more complicated and seemingly less worth it, I'll grant you! Or maybe I'm just a bit tired... I'm sure I could say this clearer....

Re the torq & quando, no news to anyone, but simply put, former is geared higher for speed but has enough power for some/most hills up to a point, latter is geared for lower speed than torq and better hill-climbing (though less pedal assistance at either extreme due to 70' single gear...

whew! :rolleyes:

Stuart, as an afterthought to your comment re: accepting the 2.23 conversion factor for m/s to and from mph, the error from using that is 0.178%.
That'll ding-dang-do for me! :D

Stuart.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
here we go again, when we bought the two sakuras i new nothing about electric bikes but now i have moved on to the next knowledge step "next to nothing" but as i say i was lucky they are great for steady plodding around a relatively flat area like grimsby.
when we started to go to work on them on the cycle paths, there is one piece that was a road bridge over the railway line, it is steep, my wife sailed up with minimum pedalling,with me i don't know if it was the bike or me creaking but it was a struggle(this is the only place like this for us).so i started to look on the net for the reasons and the information i gathered was piece meal from different places and none mentioned my make of bike.
i realised that being 3 stone heavier didn't help, i thought gears might make it easier for me to help the motor,but i didn't know anything about power, because i understood the max legal power was 200watt. then i learnt that the battery has more to do with it than i thought, with my 36v 7ah i would never get the peak surge that would come with 36v 14ah.
i think what i am trying to say is what i would have found more help would have been simple explanations of how each part of the equation helped or hindered all electric bikes, like i found on the a to b site.
if you do it bike specific rather than a guide to how electric bikes work you would be of less help to a new purchaser,than if they could run the spec of any bike or motor kit, type of motor, battery power from different types of battery, and then decide if that bike met there needs.
as i say this info is out there even things like why a ni mh battery has less amps than a sla but can be better, but i feel we should have this basic info on this site in a easy to understand format so people can make informed descisions.
why not call it what to look for in an electric bike THE SIMPLE ANSWER and make it prominent,all the way through we could put words like "need help to understand then why not register and ask the question" when ever i go on to the pedalec site there are always people viewing, what are they looking? for what can we put on to encourage them to register.
mike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Just to emphasize I'm not "trying to put the boot in" on this Stuart, some while ago I'd considered having a website dedicated to helping people choose an electric bike. Therefore I'd done a lot of work on these calculations with that end in mind. As you can now see though, the end result wasn't going to help anyone, least of all those who most needed the help, there being so many variables.

Essentially the figures cannot be presented without all sorts of conditional statements to make them have real world meaning. That close group of bikes in the second list above will widen their gaps under real world conditions for various reasons. The Quando has one 70" gear, the Cadence and Sprint have 7 speed hubs, and if the eZee Liv had been included it would have been close to the Cadence on paper being the same weight, but it's 3 speed hub would not have allowed the rider to perform at their optimum. Given that many people do not understand the concept of gearing anyway, all that would be lost on them.

My conclusion is that the most helpful thing for potential buyers, experienced or otherwise, is comparative road tests, on the same territory of the type A to B do. They're not perfect by any means, but they are readily understandable. The equivalent for us would be members reports on their bikes, but from experience I don't think that would help at all when I get some members telling me that the worst hill climber of all is one of the best! In other words, the errors of perception are far too great for the information to be reliable and comparable. In addition, the widely different territory in members areas would make the results even less useful, and peoples pride in their bike and their choice (ego!) tend to facilitate exaggeration.

It's frustrating, and no-one would like a solution more than me, but your expression "can of worms" is perhaps more fitting with e-bike testing than anywhere else. In essence I think calculation would end up with lots of very close figures as above, and graphs with lots of lines grouped together in bunches.

Incidentally, the Quando isn't geared for lower speed as you've said, it's normally geared, and if anything a touch on the high side, although I don't think you meant quite that, it was just the context. It does what it does on sheer power alone. Of the group, only the Chopper is lower geared (13 mph), only the Torq higher geared (20+ mph).

The norm for the whole European market for hub motor bike gearing of the motor is for a bike to attain about 15 mph at maximum revs on the specified voltage, this leaving maximum torque at about 8 mph, thus fixing the hill climb ability to a considerable extent. Since most bikes roughly conform to this and bike weights are not too different these days and are such a small proportion of the whole weight, only the motor power output is any real measure of the hill climb performance on normally geared bikes, hence the Quando's top position in this.

Another variable in the test conditions for members is voltage, which is high immediately after charging. Again using the unpedalled Quando as an example, on a Li-ion battery straight off the charger, it will run to 18.4 mph on the flat and climb 14%. Ten minutes later it runs to about 15.5 mph and will only manage about 13%. On an NiMh battery the hill climbing results are almost the same, the lower peak voltage balanced by the lower voltage drop under load than Li-ion, but the respective speeds are 17.5 and 15 mph. I could be reporting any of these, and they are rather different.