Can someone clear the law thing with e-bikes.

sapper44

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2011
I have a few concerns with the laws on e-bikes and Pedalecs. The law relating to this dates back to 1983, and covers what you can legally use on public roads in the UK.
The limits are: 200W continuous power (250W for tricycles and tandems), 15mph maximum assisted speed, maximum weight 40kgs (60kgs for tricycles and tandems).
As long as your cycle is within these limits, and you are over 14, you can ride your bike legally on UK roads with no restrictions. This law is laid down in the Road Traffic Act, and the police have the power to enforce it. Seems to me that most sellers are selling bikes that are not road legal. I must be missing something as they can’t all be selling bikes knowing they are illegal. I was in Halfords and the sales person informed me that my local council (Swansea) has banned throttle bikes so we are only allowed pedal assist bikes as a local caused havoc for the local police. Can someone put me straight so I can get on with buying my bike.I am liking the Oxegen City and the wisper bikes

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The DfT have said that 250 watts is ok. In fact EU law was passed into law in the UK on 1oth November 2003, as it was in all EU countries, and that specifies 250 watts.

Unfortunately our civil service messed up and didn't cancel the 1983 EAPC regulations as they were ordered to do by the EU, so we've ended up with the two in parallel.

The DfT are currently in the process of tidying up this mess and new regulations will be announced in due course. They have classified the web page on the 1983 legislation as archive now, so you can ignore it and just use the combination of EU and UK law for the present.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Sapper I would have thought the Road Traffic Act trumps Swansea Council . I live in Wales and haven`t heard the Assembly making any pronouncements .Have Swansea Council made or altered any bye-laws on the subject ? Get you local Councillor on the case . My Batribike was purchased in Cardiff last September and has a throttle only mode . Perhaps I should come down from Barry and give it a blast past the Swansea Council Offices or more like a whimper in my bike`s case !

sockster

Just Joined
Nov 29, 2010
wakefield
De-restrict button

Just thought I would add another question along the same lines.
If my bike is fitted with a de-restrict but not used is this still legal?
I have a Wisper 905 SE City S with a de-restrict fitted and reading other threads on here I am beginning to think thsi would make my bike illegal on the road. Am I over-reacting?

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
De-restrict button

Just thought I would add another question along the same lines.
If my bike is fitted with a de-restrict but not used is this still legal?
I have a Wisper 905 SE City S with a de-restrict fitted and reading other threads on here I am beginning to think thsi would make my bike illegal on the road. Am I over-reacting?
I've added a post to the start of our guide: Can I buy an electric bike with an off-road mode?, in essence:

The following has been taken from the DfT's Electrically Assisted Pedal Cycles (EAPCs) in Great Britain factsheet updated in May 2010:

We are aware of some electric cycles that have a switch offering a temporary increase in top speed – often advertised as an ‘off road’ facility. When the switch is pressed the vehicle can be propelled by the motor at a speed greater than 15 mph. Vehicles with this feature fitted, in our opinion, do not comply with the GB EAPC Regulations. Vehicles and riders must comply with the appropriate motor vehicle requirements i.e. registration, driver/rider licensing, insurance, use of an approved helmet etc

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
There you have it sockster , don`t press the button as you are passing a policeman or attract attention or have an accident on it !

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The overall position is this.

Nominal power: EU 250 watts, UK 200 watts bike, 250 watts trike.

Pedelec: EU compulsory, UK optional.

Throttle: EU, only combined with pedelec; UK, throttle only permitted.

Assisted speed limit: EU 25 kph with gradual power phase-down leading up to it, UK 15 mph with no phase down necessary.

Maximum weight: All areas: 40 kg bike; UK only 60 kg trike or tandem.

Lower age limit: Only Britain (14 years).

Some countries have additional laws. For example, Germany has an over-riding 24 kph limit. Germany and outside the EU, Switzerland, have high speed e-bike classes in addition, permitting around 20 mph but with other restrictions like insurance and helmet wearing.

In this country we have both EU and UK laws fully in force and conflicting due to the civil service error in failing to arrange cessation of the UK law. Theoretically it would be safest to only stick to one set of rules and not "pick and mix", though the risk of any police officer having a clue about e-bike law is vanishingly small.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
The overall position is this.

Nominal power: EU 250 watts, UK 200 watts bike, 250 watts trike.

Pedelec: EU compulsory, UK optional.

Throttle: EU, only combined with pedelec; UK, throttle only permitted.

Assisted speed limit: EU 25 kph with gradual power phase-down leading up to it, UK 15 mph with no phase down necessary.

Maximum weight: All areas: 40 kg bike; UK only 60 kg trike or tandem.

Lower age limit: Only Britain (14 years).

Some countries have additional laws. For example, Germany has an over-riding 24 kph limit. Germany and outside the EU, Switzerland, have high speed e-bike classes in addition, permitting around 20 mph but with other restrictions like insurance and helmet wearing.

In this country we have both EU and UK laws fully in force and conflicting due to the civil service error in failing to arrange cessation of the UK law. Theoretically it would be safest to only stick to one set of rules and not "pick and mix", though the risk of any police officer having a clue about e-bike law is vanishingly small.
That is really interesting Flecc....I had always thought that throttles were not legal at all in mainland europe as you never seem to see them.....I hadnt realised that they ARE legal as long as its in combination with pedelec and not instead of.

As for off road buttons after thinking I wanted one I have now thought it through properly and realised that I don't want it because I want the longer range more !
Plus I rarely get up to 15mph anyway :)

Lynda

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
I hope David (Wisper) won't mind me re-posting a comment from another discussion:

The European law we are harmonising with, says that throttle only can be used up to 6kph without the pedals turning, and it is absolutely legal to have a throttle on an EPAC as long as the pedals are turning.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
....I had always thought that throttles were not legal at all in mainland europe as you never seem to see them.....I hadnt realised that they ARE legal as long as its in combination with pedelec and not instead of.
Since pedelec is permitted with the full legal power Lynda, a throttle is really nothing other than a power limiter to reduce it below the allowed maximum. I think the continentals have found that letting a torque sensor do the job for them is enough, so they no longer bother with throttles. Once we adopt full EU law, our market will probably drift in the same direction.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Since pedelec is permitted with the full legal power Lynda, a throttle is really nothing other than a power limiter to reduce it below the allowed maximum. I think the continentals have found that letting a torque sensor do the job for them is enough, so they no longer bother with throttles. Once we adopt full EU law, our market will probably drift in the same direction.
I dont quite understand about a throttle being a power limiter Flecc can I ask you to explain it all in simpler terms for me...also about the torque sensor.......I dont know if I'm just tired or ready for my hot chocolate :)
I promise I havent been on the wine tonight LOL

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's like this Lynda. Lets say the most the motor can give is 250 watts to be legal. If the motor is switched on by starting pedalling as in pedelec bikes, the whole 250 watts is immediately available if not limited in some way.

A throttle controlled bike also has that 250 watts if the throttle is fully opened, so at all lower throttle settings there's less power, that is it's limited.

Therefore, if a pedelec bike has a throttle as well, that can only reduce the available 250 watts, it can't make it more of course, so the throttle is a power limiter.

Because having all 250 watts coming in suddenly at once can be an embarrassment, if no throttle is fitted, having another way of limiting the power is desirable. That's done by a torque sensor which measures the amount of rider effort into the pedals, so when the rider wants to go slowly they press on the pedals less and the motor also gives less. To accelerate, they press more and the motor also gives more to help. This is how most continental e-bikes operate, also many of ours like the Panasonic powered ones. Put another way, our feet operate the "throttle" on pedelecs.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
If you thought the law on pedelecs in the UK was complicated then try to make sense of the lighting regulations for cycles in Germany-Google 'StVZO'. Am currently specifying a bike for the German market,these regs are I suspect made intentionally complex,a dynamo is obligatory but that is just the start-be careful if you take your pedelec to Germany!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If you thought the law on pedelecs in the UK was complicated then try to make sense of the lighting regulations for cycles in Germany-Google 'StVZO'. Am currently specifying a bike for the German market,these regs are I suspect made intentionally complex,a dynamo is obligatory but that is just the start-be careful if you take your pedelec to Germany!
Indeed, but there are benefits of this. The Germans do have multi-layered law which is enforced strictly and well observed by a generally obedient population, but on the other hand, they do make provisions for all needs. Thus they have a high speed pedelec class and also a higher power 500 watt one. We may have less law, but that's accompanied by cussed governance which makes no such allowances for differing needs.

I like the Italian way, pass all the laws but take little notice of them, treating them as optional. Informal and pleasant.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
It's like this Lynda. Lets say the most the motor can give is 250 watts to be legal. If the motor is switched on by starting pedalling as in pedelec bikes, the whole 250 watts is immediately available if not limited in some way.

A throttle controlled bike also has that 250 watts if the throttle is fully opened, so at all lower throttle settings there's less power, that is it's limited.

Therefore, if a pedelec bike has a throttle as well, that can only reduce the available 250 watts, it can't make it more of course, so the throttle is a power limiter.

Because having all 250 watts coming in suddenly at once can be an embarrassment, if no throttle is fitted, having another way of limiting the power is desirable. That's done by a torque sensor which measures the amount of rider effort into the pedals, so when the rider wants to go slowly they press on the pedals less and the motor also gives less. To accelerate, they press more and the motor also gives more to help. This is how most continental e-bikes operate, also many of ours like the Panasonic powered ones. Put another way, our feet operate the "throttle" on pedelecs.
Thanks Flecc......thats clear now...I wasnt really aware that throttles worked like that I thought they were just to give you MORE power..........have never been very technical .....just too used to using the equipment without fully understanding how it all works :).....

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I like the Italian way, pass all the laws but take little notice of them, treating them as optional. Informal and pleasant.
Spanish way too......except they take NO notice of them :)

Lynda

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
flecc....what do you think of this news report
News

European Commission Says No to 500 Watt Max. Power for Pedal Assisted Bikes

BRUSSELS, Belgium - In its recently published proposal for a review of the type-approval of two- or three-wheel vehicles, the European Commission did not accept the appeal for increasing the power limit for pedal assisted bicycles. The European Twowheel Retailers’ Association (ETRA) pleaded for an increase from 250 to 500 Watt for electric bicycles that are excluded from the type-approval procedure.

The trade association argued that the power output increase would allow electric bikes to appeal to a much broader and more varied public throughout Europe. The European industry association COLIBI was opposed to the power increase which eventually fell on deaf ears in the Commission.

In the current draft, the Commission does attempt to improve categorization. For that purpose, they have created among other things a new category L1e “light two-wheel powered vehicle” with three subcategories. With the category L1Ae, the Commission did establish the first new category as proposed by ETRA but, strangely enough, decided to limit the maximum speed to 25 km instead of 45 km as requested. The second category requested by ETRA is covered by L1Be but gets 4 kW instead of the requested 1 kW.

The Commission also proposes new technical measures, a number of which would become applicable to the L1e category. For instance, the vehicles will have to be equipped with designated measures to prevent tampering of the vehicle’s power train. Also, manufacturers will have to introduce on-board diagnostic (OBD) in several phases: as of 2017 for category L1Be and as of 2021 also for L1Ae.

The last important new aspect is the fact that manufacturers become legally bound to provide access to vehicle repair and maintenance information to independent operators. They will have to do this by means of websites using a standardised format. Dealers and repairers who are not officially authorised should have the same access to those websites as their authorised colleagues. The Commission will develop a standard for these websites. In the meantime, it is up to the manufacturers to provide easy and simple access to the information. Strangely enough, further on in the text, the Commission seems to open the door again to discrimination by allowing manufacturers to charge a fee for the information.

The Commission’s proposal is now with the Committee Internal Market and Consumer Protection of the European Parliament. The Dutch motorcyclist Wim van de Camp (EPP) is the ‘rapporteur’. His report needs to be adopted by the Committee before it goes to Plenary for first reading. Upon that it goes to the Council and if it is further amended at that stage it has to go back to Parliament for second reading. Then, Parliament and Council have to reach a uniform decision. So, the publication of the Commission’ proposal is only a first step in a legislative process that will take quite some more time.
Published @ 10-11-2010
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

| More

Jon

Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2011
Stoke on Trent
www.tangit.co.uk
Ok, I work with the Police quite a bit with my job and i was discussing this issue last time i was in the Police station as i found some Traffic officers having a break. Basically they have better things to worry about "at the moment" If i were to pass them on my Oxygen they would look twice but would leave me alone. The limit of them leaving me alone is, if i were to keep up with other vehicles doing about 30mph. This is because more on safety rather than enforcement if that makes sense. They have more problems with dirt bikes, mini motos and kids on bikes than to worry about cyclists maybe having a 250w motor instead of a 200w or one that is throttle only rather than assist etc. Even if they did catch someone overpowering unless they were being rude, obnoxious and stand offish they would just give them a verbal saying get it sorted. If they caught someone riding reckless well that could be a different outcome

Should every man and his dog go out and buy a ebike or kit they would look at people riding responsibly. Even when a Police Motor cycle officer came in he was in agreement, they did add though that should they see someone on a ebike that looked cool at the side of the road they would stop and have a look and a chat not to see if it legal or ilegal but because they were being nosey.

Neighborhood officers said that they would be happier if these youths were on over powered electric bikes because it would cut down on the noise of ilegal dirt bikes that tear up the fields lol. Fair point i think there.

The overall jist i got was nah, they have more serious things to worry about and dodnt see it as an issue legal or not "yet"

The feeling i get from talking to other electric bike owners is they are worried. My assessment of this is because most owners have probably never had to deal with the Police before as they are honest law abiding people. My advice is ride responsible, assess the risk (safety gear) and just enjoy what you got.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
flecc....what do you think of this news report
News

European Commission Says No to 500 Watt Max. Power for Pedal Assisted Bikes
I can't really say without knowing more about the sub categories, but there seems to be conformity in L1e with an existing moped class, the "Low Powered Moped" class. This allows 1000 watts but is limited to 15 mph maximum, clearly intended to include high powered e-bikes. Of course all the usual moped regulations apply, registration, plates, insurance, helmet etc.

At least the provision of L1e might prompt manufacturers to produce machines to match, which would be ideal for those with disabilities, the 1000 watts enabling adequate support for all physically restricted cycling circumstances.

I can understand the refusal to allow the universal increase to 500 watts for pedelecs, but technically there is nothing to stop any EU country having a separate 500 watt class with some restrictions as in Germany. The basis of this is that the European constitution specifies that every EU citizen is entitled to any benefit allowed elsewhere within the EU, equality for all. The stumbling block is getting national governments to implement the provisions for the class. They tend to make lengthy use of pending trays when presented with something they don't like but can't easily avoid.

Last edited: