Cargo Bike Conversion Advice

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
the fact that you can change the settings in the controllers means it will never be road legal and no one will insure it either.

bit like a motor bike with race parts on it voids the insurance or you buy a car and stick a massive turbo on it.

no ebike kit you can buy will never be road legal.
But if the regulations states max 250w output and the motor has a CE sticker and markings showing that will that not be ok? I see your point regarding upgrading but if you declare an uprated turbo and insure accordingly it is legal.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Ah ok. I know you said a rear hub DWG would be more beneficial but I may want to swap the motor between bikes (or at least have the option). I seem limited for that reason and your kit seems the best option. Do you know if they have been used on cargo bikes before or am I just going to damage it will overloading?
We always advise the DWG22C for tandems and BBS01ET for Dutch bakfiets for carryingchildren to school. However, I thought yours would do better with the rear hub for unknown reason. I should have asked you for what model of bike you have. That's the danger of answering on a forum, you soon divert from the normal processes, especially when SW chips in.

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
If the insurance company asks if my wattage output is 250w or under, I tick agree and the motor is stamped as 250w from the manufacturer legal or not that is the best I can do.

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
We always advise the DWG22C for tandems and BBS01ET for Dutch bakfiets for carryingchildren to school. However, I thought yours would do better with the rear hub. For some reason, I haven't asked you for what model of bike you have. That's the danger of answering on a forum, you soon divert from the normal processes, especially when SW chips in.
Good point. It is on a Yuba Kombi.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
id not even think about it insurance is a scam anyway and if you got a bosch cargo bike it will be so under powerd it would be useless.

m8 uses his hd to get to work and back and that's set to 30a so 20a more than my controller

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
id not even think about it insurance is a scam anyway and if you got a bosch cargo bike it will be so under powerd it would be useless.

m8 uses his hd to get to work and back and that's set to 30a so 20a more than my controller
Not sure where Bosch came into it.

If I am locking up a £3k+ bike and leaving it somewhere for £7 a month I am going to insure it. I wouldn't drive a 3k car around without, regardless of legalities.

Anyway off topic. BBS01 ET on the Yuba.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Last edited:
Reactions: EXE Bikes

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
Right I have decided on the BBS01 ET with the small 10ah bag battery.

Will only having the 10ah impact performance or just the range.

I don't need long range and not using assist all the time.

Thanks.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A smaller ah battery typically has fewer groups in parallel (and certainly does if the same cells are used for the smaller and bigger battery). This means it draws a higher current from each group, and so will have more voltage sag under heavy load.

A smaller battery will need charging more often and may therefore have shorter life. If life is dependent on full recharge cycles the overall cost per mile/year/... may come out pretty much the same for different sized batteries.

I don't know how important these factors are is in real life; possibly less important if good quality cells are used.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
There's a lot of voltage sag on my 19.2Ah 36V battery with LG MH1 cells when ascending very steep inclines (BBS01B), impossible with a small battery methinks.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Another thought I had is the voltage rating on the 250 watt BBS01 kits compared to a detuned BBS02 or B

What would provide more torque?

An out of the box 36v 250w

A detuned 36v 500w to 250w

A detuned 48v 500w to 250w

Would the detuned versions mean lower running temps and therefore be more reliable?

I am now leaning at the 250w options as looking into insurance they ask the question and want to be buy the book just in case.
Insurance don't like DIY conversions. Check whether you can get insurance at all first if that's important.

There is no such thing as a de-tuned 500w motor. The 500w is its rating and has nothing to do with how much power you push through it.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've been loking for third party insurance myself, for my conversion.

" A spokesperson from Laka confirmed it is possible to insure an electric bike conversion “so long as it complies with the Government’s definition of an EAPC [electrically assisted pedal cycle]”.

Dave George, CEO of Bikmo, also said his firm would cover a converted bike so long as it “still meets the requirements of an EPAC”.

This means electric bike conversion kits that feature a throttle would not be covered (and, in any case, these would be illegal to use on roads in the UK without registration and appropriate insurance). "

Reactions: RogerA

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023

" A spokesperson from Laka confirmed it is possible to insure an electric bike conversion “so long as it complies with the Government’s definition of an EAPC [electrically assisted pedal cycle]”.

Dave George, CEO of Bikmo, also said his firm would cover a converted bike so long as it “still meets the requirements of an EPAC”.

This means electric bike conversion kits that feature a throttle would not be covered (and, in any case, these would be illegal to use on roads in the UK without registration and appropriate insurance). "

That's what I have been reading up to as well. Bikmo are my preferred choice anyway as get cyclescheme discount.

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
A smaller ah battery typically has fewer groups in parallel (and certainly does if the same cells are used for the smaller and bigger battery). This means it draws a higher current from each group, and so will have more voltage sag under heavy load.

A smaller battery will need charging more often and may therefore have shorter life. If life is dependent on full recharge cycles the overall cost per mile/year/... may come out pretty much the same for different sized batteries.

I don't know how important these factors are is in real life; possibly less important if good quality cells are used.
I don't mind about capacity but just don't want to grind to a halt up the very steep hills home

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Right I have decided on the BBS01 ET with the small 10ah bag battery.

Will only having the 10ah impact performance or just the range.

I don't need long range and not using assist all the time.

Thanks.
One will need to monitor voltage level , cutting out on hills may occur if using high current demand and lower voltage in the range. Generally once below approx 47- 47.5v (48v battery) then voltage sag may be more noticeable once the battery starts aging in the 2nd year. Very steep longer hills will demand more from a battery esp a 10ah one

I use a 8.4ah/44v or a 6ah/44v battery for my Ute cargo bike with TSDZ2 , towing a sometimes heavy trailer. Though I'm on relatively flat terrain with only 70m difference from start point to finish point on a 5.5 mile offroad route.

EXE Bikes

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2023
I think the @Woosh batteries are Panasonic so decent ones.

I think I may give it a go and manage the battery. Worst case I use the smaller battery when riding solo and then purchase a bigger one for when hauling cargo.

@Woosh how have the reviews been with this setup and 10ah battery?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
It works well but I have never sold that combo for a cargo bike. Please let me know how it goes. It's dead easy to swap for a 48v 12ah if need be. It is perfectly OK for shorter trips.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Bike Radar got that completely wrong. They haven't a clue. Throttles are allowed under UK regulations as long as they work in accordance with the regulations. You don't need registratio and insurance.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
You will only know the answer regarding hills when you have ridden your bike on your local hills with your expected loading.

But being a mid motor, hill climbing is easily fixed by changing to a lower bottom gear. The smaller the wheels, the smaller the problem though: your 24 inch wheels are already 21% lower geared than a 700c/29 inch.

Just expect to use the gears, not work the motor hard in a high gear, then should all be fine.