carrera crossfire no assist

steven mooney

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 13, 2016
hull
Hi everyone i have carrera crossfire with no assist the battery shows 86% the lcd is all lit up regeistring every thing the walk mode works perfect the motor kicks in but on pedaling no assist at all is there any body who could shed any light on this. thankyou

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It might be the cadence sensor on/under the crank misaligned or broken: The sensor detects pedal rotation from the magnet disc and needs to be fairly well aligned. Or run the bike back to Halfords for a quick check over?

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

steven mooney

Nov 13, 2016
hull
It might be the cadence sensor on/under the crank misaligned or broken: The sensor detects pedal rotation from the magnet disc and needs to be fairly well aligned. Or run the bike back to Halfords for a quick check over?
Hi i bought the bike second hand only 6 months old thanks for the reply it was all working normal but i did clean it all round there i wonder if i moved it because it was working lovely.

steven mooney

Nov 13, 2016
hull
hi there i have just looked on the crank inside i can only see a small black box attached to the plastic crank case which is held in by 4 screws i am not really sure what i am looking for cheers.

D

Deleted member 4366

Take some photos from underneath the bottom bracket - something like this:

Reactions: LeighPing

steven mooney

Nov 13, 2016
hull
These are the photos i have taken sorry took time still at work just popped in so the reply on my phone the inside of the crank shows little black box which i opened last night and is all sealed with 3 wires going in.theres nothing under the crank except gear cable and black wire sheath cable from the battery the crank is all plastic casing around it cheers back to work now,

D

Deleted member 4366

That's a proprietry pedal sensor of some sort. It could be optical or magnetic. I'm thinking optical, like the ones that I had on my first e-bike. I'd have to see it disassembled to comment further. If it is optical, then something could be dirty..

In the worst case, it can be fixed for about £50 by replacing the controller and LCD, which would give you the option of a throttle and no speed limit.

redcup1999

Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2016
Bristol
Assuming this is Crossfire-e it has two year warranty on all components (inlcuding the battery).

I would suggest speaking to Halfords - they should have recorded the frame number at the point of sale. I believe the model is less than two years old, so it may still be under warranty even though you are the second owner.

steven mooney

Nov 13, 2016
hull
That's a proprietry pedal sensor of some sort. It could be optical or magnetic. I'm thinking optical, like the ones that I had on my first e-bike. I'd have to see it disassembled to comment further. If it is optical, then something could be dirty..

In the worst case, it can be fixed for about £50 by replacing the controller and LCD, which would give you the option of a throttle and no speed limit.[/Q

Attachments

steven mooney

Nov 13, 2016
hull
That's optical. You need to clean between those little blocks. One side emits and the other side receives, so you need to clean both sides. Don't ask me what to clean with though!
Is that the 4 black plastic blocks cheers.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
That's optical.
Yes, according to Suntour's own website, it's Infra Red, and a part of their own ATS system here: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/e-bike/ats-rear-motor-system/

There're instructions to download there (although out of date) but sadly no troubleshooting or maintenance help for this issue.

Looking again at the OP's first set of pictures, that last picture seems to have one screw securing that plastic back cover that looks decidedly out of place (clean, oversized head and countersunk as opposed to the other roundhead and rusty ones)... maybe someone has been fiddling with this sensor before?

Either way, it seems odd to use an optical sensor in a place which is prone to dirt and splashing, but at least original parts are still available if needed.

EDIT: It's actually a 36 measuring point IR torque sensor... quite snazzy for a bike that was selling for just £800 (in their earlier 2016 sale) and £1100 now.

Last edited:

steven mooney

Nov 13, 2016
hull
Yes, according to Suntour's own website, it's Infra Red, and a part of their own ATS system here: http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/e-bike/ats-rear-motor-system/

There're instructions to download there (although out of date) but sadly no troubleshooting or maintenance help for this issue.

Looking again at the OP's first set of pictures, that last picture seems to have one screw securing that plastic back cover that looks decidedly out of place (clean, oversized head and countersunk as opposed to the other roundhead and rusty ones)... maybe someone has been fiddling with this sensor before?

Either way, it seems odd to use an optical sensor in a place which is prone to dirt and splashing, but at least original parts are still available if needed.
Hi cyclebuddy i do have all 3 screws to but black box back on. I have been on there site looking but will clean the sensor in morning and put it all back together and see what happens I have sent email to halfords with the serial number for the bike to see if it is still under warranty even though i am the second owner cheers.

D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. Eachc c
It's actually a 36 measuring point IR torque sensor... quite snazzy for a bike that was selling for just £800 (in their earlier 2016 sale) and £1100 now.
It looks like a simple optical cadence sensor to me. It needs two deparate sensors so that the phase difference tells the controller which direction it's going.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
It looks like a simple optical cadence sensor to me. It needs two deparate sensors so that the phase difference tells the controller which direction it's going.
It could be d8veh. I'm just quoting what Suntour say on their website for this particular ATS/HESC crankset (as per the link I gave above)

Torque sensor
Pedalling frequenzy sensor
Infrared measurement:
36 measuring points
Chainwheel size: 42 teeth

You ride, we measure. The pedalling frequency and pedalling power parameter is determined via infrared.
You have a decisive influence on the driving properties, which we want to make as natural and dynamic as possible. You decide on the characteristics by choosing the assistance mode and the way and manner in which you turn the pedals.

NB: "ATS" printed on the OP's chainwheel cover stands for "Active Torque Sensor"

Last edited: