Casco emotion helmets

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Has anyone tried the Casco Emotion helmets available at 50cycles, Evans and others? I'm thinking of getting one but they're pricey and buying headwear at a distance seems risky (although I suppose I could return it under the Distance Selling Act).

Are they good?
Does your head get hot compared with a normal helmet?
Do they keep the rain out of your eyes?
How much do they weigh?
Did you buy the optional ear muffs and is £20 a rip off price for them?!
Do people ask you where your horse is?

rog_london

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2009
Harrow, Middlesex
I've got one which I use most of the time....

They're light and seem to be better ventilated than they appear.

I bought it because I liked the look of it rather than for any 'good' reason. I wanted something that didn't look like an inverted bird's nest sitting on my head.

I'd be the first to admit that they're probably a bit over-priced. Also it's not quite as comfortable as the aforementioned £14 bird's nest I also have.

So far no silly comments (over a year and a half). Not about the helmet, anyway.

The peak isn't going to help much with the rain, IMO, but the enclosed shell does tend to keep your head dry.

I just put it on the scale. Weight is 468 grams. The bird's nest is lighter at 334 grams.

I don't know about the earmuffs. Probably unnecessary.

Rog.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
Best looking of all the helmets I've seen and the only one's I'd consider if deciding to wear one. But, from experience I doubt they offer any protection from facial or neck injuries and little from the trauma caused by the brain impacting the inside of the skull, which still occur's with or without a helmet.

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
I tried one on a few months ago and it was more lightweight and comfortable than it looked. I quite liked it but in the end went for a birds nest which was lighter, cheaper and better ventilated.

You should probably try to get to an Evans store to try one on. Everyone's head is different and it would be hassle to have to return it if you don't like it or it doesn't fit.

It looked pretty good on Susi Perry in the gadget show last year! :eek:

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
It looked pretty good on Susi Perry in the gadget show last year! :eek:
Suzi Perry on an Ezee Forza with a big smiley grin on her face - I`d be lying if I said it had no impact on my taking a fuirther look at e-bikes last year ! My wife and daughter still cannot see the attraction - of Suzi or the ebike and have concluded that I am shallow and easily led!

Quite like the Casco helmets btw, but not enough to have bought one!

All the best

Bob_about

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
I did consider them but ended up getting a rain cover for my normal bog standard helmet instead. It's a black cover that makes my helmet look like a very large flat cap.

Here are some more alternatives:

Head Gear Simpson Cycles

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Best looking of all the helmets I've seen and the only one's I'd consider if deciding to wear one.
I'm kinda with this reply... I've never bothered with helmets owing to a combination of not finding a comfy one and preferring the extra road space that drivers give you without one.

But as I'm now cycling regularly and exceeding 30mph downhill I figured it's perhaps time.

Maybe I should start wearing the £35 birds nest I managed to get to fit this weekend before I start seeking a nicer one!

I quite like the style of the Casco one because it should stay in place well and therefore need less neck strangulation. But you can get BMX-style ones for a quarter the price. Hmmm.... yep maybe a trip to a shop is in order....

Thanks for the interesting replies!

mastanlem

Pedelecer
May 4, 2007
I was considering buying one of these as I'm not keen on the birds nest ones at all....but the cost quite frankly stopped me so I plumped for this one a bell faction matt red demon one, it's comfy and keeps the family happy :D

Bell Faction Skate Style Helmet | Tredz Online Bike Shop
I've just purchased one and must say how comfortable it is, also I feel that my whole head is protected. I was using a Yakkay which I have not long bought but I did not feel that it was protecting me, no matter how I adjusted it, it did not feel right. With the peak cover I was always being asked where my horse was, and cycling against the wind it was getting under the peak and trying to lift it.

I now feel and look, with the Casco a bit like the old usa chips motorcylists.

Marina

JohnD

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2010
Visors?

I too am looking for a hat following a recent 'incident' - I would like a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes though - does anybody know of such a cycle hat?
:confused:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
HOW MUCH????

I bought a helmet from my local bike shop the other day. Bloke has been there for years, used to race, etc., etc., old school, what he doesn't know about cycling and bikes really isn't worth knowing. And so on.

Anyway, I said: "What's the difference between this £14.99 helmet and those £90.00 ones?"

"Seventy-five quid," he replied.

In my VERY humble opinion (irony) anyone who would pay £100 or so for a bit of polystyrene and a bit of coloured plastic ALREADY needs assistance!

Allen, expensive bike, cheap helmet.

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
I too am looking for a hat following a recent 'incident' - I would like a visor to keep the rain out of my eyes though - does anybody know of such a cycle hat?
:confused:
You could use clear cycle glasses.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Are they any different from ordinary glasses (in their water repellant properties, that is)? I ask as my specs get thoroughly covered with water when it rains.

A

Morag

Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2010
Shropshire
Are they any different from ordinary glasses (in their water repellant properties, that is)? I ask as my specs get thoroughly covered with water when it rains.

A
I don't wear ordinary glasses so not sure, but I find as they wrap around more than ordinary glasses do the water that hits them seem's to slide off with the breeze caused by zipping along. Sorry not a lot of help there. I just thought if it was water getting in his eyes those would do just as good a job as a visor mind you if you are in torrential rain I'd say all bets are off.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
HOW MUCH????

I bought a helmet from my local bike shop the other day. Bloke has been there for years, used to race, etc., etc., old school, what he doesn't know about cycling and bikes really isn't worth knowing. And so on.

Anyway, I said: "What's the difference between this £14.99 helmet and those £90.00 ones?"

"Seventy-five quid," he replied.

In my VERY humble opinion (irony) anyone who would pay £100 or so for a bit of polystyrene and a bit of coloured plastic ALREADY needs assistance!

Allen, expensive bike, cheap helmet.
It can be worth spending slightly more for better fittings. I now use a Specialized helmet and the difference is clear, thankfully it was £35 and not £100.

A
I used to find X-Rain on my motorbike helmet worked well (and old cars with rubbish wipers) but I don't have a problem with my bike specs.

brucehawsker

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2009
Helmet Rating

Are bike helments rated for electric bikes.? 12.5mph springs to mind on a bit of paper which fell out of my helmet box a few years back..... Are retailers taking a risk selling helments to leectic bike owners??

garrence

Pedelecer
Jun 10, 2010
Are bike helments rated for electric bikes.? 12.5mph springs to mind on a bit of paper which fell out of my helmet box a few years back..... Are retailers taking a risk selling helments to leectic bike owners??
A decent lightweight road bike goes faster than a heavy electric bike that cuts out at 15.

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Not forgetting the possible relative impact speed from cars and trucks.

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
It's a slippery slope, helmet, glasses, next will be Lycra, cycling shoes, before you know it you'll be looking like a cyclist and not just a bod on a bike...where will it all end :D