Commuting on roads on FS and HT

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
they have the option to jump out my way or get run over its there choice ;)

when ur going 30mph they tend to shift there ass :D

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Sunrace make this 10 speed cassette: 11-12-13-15-17-19-21-24-28-34 which would work well on most roads, especially at high speeds with lots of fine grain ratios at the top end.

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Do you get suspension bob when standing on the pedals off the saddle while on a full sus ?
The answer is yes so ask yourself why!

Do you get any loss while on a hardtail standing up ?
Answer No
So are you claiming that the front forks don't bob on a hardtail when standing up off the saddle ?

• Dislike
Reactions: Fat Rat

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
So are you claiming that the front forks don't bob on a hardtail when standing up off the saddle ?
My fs bike is like being on a boat if u stand up with the suspension loose whereas the ht I had just had a Bobby front. Lockout stops it on both and as my scott has a remote lockout on the bars for both front and rear it's oh so easy to do. It's called twinlock and I don't know why all bikes don't have it.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Are we talking about front suspension ?
Or are you just trying to be argumentative for the sake of it ?

This is about rear suspension not front
If you want to talk about the disadvantages of full rigid forks or suspension forks on the front start another thread .

• Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Are we talking about front suspension ?
Or are you just trying to be argumentative for the sake of it ?

This is about rear suspension not front
My original question was not about rear suspension.
Go back and read the whole thread. Or are you just being argumentative for the sake of it?

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
My fs bike is like being on a boat if u stand up with the suspension loose whereas the ht I had just had a Bobby front. Lockout stops it on both and as my scott has a remote lockout on the bars for both front and rear it's oh so easy to do. It's called twinlock and I don't know why all bikes don't have it.
Ok, so lockout stops the bobbing on both back and front suspension. But why do we have lockout in he first place.
FatRat stated:
"Do you get any loss while on a hardtail standing up ?
Answer No"

Is that statement correct?

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Ok, so lockout stops the bobbing on both back and front suspension. But why do we have lockout in he first place.
FatRat stated:
"Do you get any loss while on a hardtail standing up ?
Answer No"

Is that statement correct?
Yes as far as rear suspension is concerned
And as this whole thread is the difference between hard tails and full suspension bikes I didn’t think the front suspension was in the mix as they both have front suspension so its irrelevant what the front end does for the original posters question

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
My original question was not about rear suspension.
Go back and read the whole thread. Or are you just being argumentative for the sake of it?
You asked about rear seat posts

“Does a suspension seatpost have a similar problem?”

To which I answered
You then say I’m the one being argumentative because you mentioned front suspension bob
I think you need to go back and read the thread as you are changing the argument to suit your self .

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Is the chain attached to the front wheel?

There is some power loss in front suspension but the total power loss of a FS bike is greater than a hard tail. Lockout is there for riding on the smooth or on the road, is't it supposed to unlock automatically if you hit a big bump?

Balloon tyres and a NCX seat post (with your preferred saddle) will make any commuting bike comfortable enough from my experience.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the lock out on the sus is for climbing why its called ctd.

climb
trail
descend

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
the lock out on the sus is for climbing why its called ctd.

climb
trail
descend
I never lockout rear even on road, leave in trail and switch to descent for rough tracks and descent. Only time I'd lockout front is on windy downhill roads to stop it diving under heavy braking.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Is that the 720 or 920 you have there fat rat?
720 mate
But I had the forks already and the Hugo rims :) not that there was anything wrong with the original kit it’s just I had them off a previous bike so may as well upgrade

Last edited:

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
I never lockout rear even on road, leave in trail and switch to descent for rough tracks and descent. Only time I'd lockout front is on windy downhill roads to stop it diving under heavy braking.
If your getting that much dive on heavy braking you either need a bit more pressure or some tokens in the fork :)

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
How do you find it? it's a new contender, do you do use the remote fork function much? It's a nice looking bike, nice clean lines.
I use the remote all the time. I have seen others leaning down to adgust the fork but if course to change the rear without the remote you would have to stop..

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
How do you find it? it's a new contender, do you do use the remote fork function much? It's a nice looking bike, nice clean lines.
I find it really comfortable
Geometry is good welds are finished nice
Gearing is nicely spaced out and I use it 50/50 road and trails I did up the front sprocket to a 16t instead of the stock 15t but it’s only because my mate had one so I thought I would up the gearing on the road in top for fast down hills
Any thing else you need to know just shout :)

Ps I never use the lock out on the front

Related Articles

Advertisers