Commuting on roads on FS and HT

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
What you going to try
Scott e 720. However, the place I was going to get bike from doesn't do interest free on sale bikes :(. So might have to try out the giant dirt e instead else where. Might do the Rutland demo.

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Why would anyone care about loosing a bit of effort from suspension bob? We are talking about ebikes are we not? I would say if you have the money get a full suspension even if you only use it on the road. If you like carrying lots of crap about with you or enjoy discomfort get a hard tail with skinny tyres.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: Skippy and Fat Rat

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Why would anyone care about loosing a bit of effort from suspension bob? We are talking about ebikes are we not? I would say if you have the money get a full suspension even if you only use it on the road. If you like carrying lots of crap about with you or enjoy discomfort get a hard tail with skinny tyres.
Because a lot of people dont like FS bikes me included More to go wrong extra service costs and a bugger to clean in winter if you care about that .
For me at least i love the more challenging ride off road with hard tail bikes and i like the efficiency and the lighter bike
As for skinny tyres i have 2.8" tyres 3" tyres and 4" tyres on my bikes how wide are your tyres :)
Ive had 5 Full Sus bikes and always end up going back to Hard tails
Were all different doesnt mean were all wrong for buying a Hard tail .

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ and Nolan

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Because a lot of people dont like FS bikes me included More to go wrong extra service costs and a bugger to clean in winter if you care about that
And for me at least i love the more challenging ride off road
As for skinny tyres i have 2.8" tyres 3" tyres and 4" tyres on my bikes how skinny are your tyres :)
I was thinking about fs, but bike was mainly commuting and off road second use. The maintenance of fs put me off.

• Agree
Reactions: Fat Rat

GLJoe

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 21, 2017
UK
Yes as far as rear suspension is concerned
Not sure what's so complicated here.

You stated:
"Do you get any loss while on a hardtail standing up ?
Answer No"

Lets just deal with that as it is and work out if its correct or not.

And as this whole thread is the difference between hard tails and full suspension bikes I didn’t think the front suspension was in the mix as they both have front suspension so its irrelevant what the front end does for the original posters question
No its not irrelevant. The OP is wondering what are the pros and cons of a FS bike. One of the negatives is made out to be bobbing or losses (which may or may not be the same thing). Other people often suggest using a suspension seat post instead. If a suspension seat post ALSO introduces losses/bobbing, then that could negate or equalise part of the disadvantages of a FS. But first we need to ascertain whether it does cause a problem with efficiency. Hence my original question.
So lets work out whether:
Answer No"
Is correct, then we can move on to asking the same question about suspension seat posts.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Not sure what's so complicated here.

You stated:
Answer No"

Lets just deal with that as it is and work out if its correct or not.

No its not irrelevant. The OP is wondering what are the pros and cons of a FS bike. One of the negatives is made out to be bobbing or losses (which may or may not be the same thing). Other people often suggest using a suspension seat post instead. If a suspension seat post ALSO introduces losses/bobbing, then that could negate or equalise part of the disadvantages of a FS. But first we need to ascertain whether it does cause a problem with efficiency. Hence my original question.
So lets work out whether:
Answer No"
Is correct, then we can move on to asking the same question about suspension seat posts.
Read the thread
I’m not going over it again
If you can’t understand that the front suspension has no bearing on the matter in hand that’s your problem
BOTH BIKES HAVE FRONT SUSPENSION it’s the rear that’s different and relevant
As for the seat post I’ve already answered that as well
I can’t keep going over the same old ground with you so I’m personally out
If someone else wants to humour you there more than welcome
Bye

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: EddiePJ

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Maintenance? Are you riding your bikes in the sea? Also I don't understand why anyone would be concerned about the pedal efficiency and bob on an ebike. Just turn the assistance up.
Having said that, the full sus pos from decathlon in the link above will obviously ride like crap, it's a £600 ebike! Without the electric bits it would be £50.
Fact is quality FS bikes are more comfortable but more expensive.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
Maintenance? Are you riding your bikes in the sea? Also I don't understand why anyone would be concerned about the pedal efficiency and bob on an ebike. Just turn the assistance up.
Having said that, the full sus pos from decathlon in the link above will obviously ride like crap, it's a £600 ebike! Without the electric bits it would be £50.
Fact is quality FS bikes are more comfortable but more expensive.
The "bob" has an effect on the battery so whilst not an issue with effect it will affect range if your doing 18 miles each way this is something to consider as I would not want to charge a battery more than once a day when commuting 5 days a week.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any decent rear sus will have ctd so you can lock it of via remote or lever and be air so you can set the psi how you like it.

if ur bobing about while peddling then the shock has not got enough air in it or the shock is just cheap shite.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
any decent rear sus will have ctd so you can lock it of via remote or lever and be air so you can set the psi how you like it.

if ur bobing about while peddling then the shock has not got enough air in it or the shock is just cheap shite.
For me bob was not an issue as you say it can be locked out, however, given I would mainly be commuting seems the maintence cost of a full sus was not worth it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it dont cost anything if you can service it ur self its not hard to keep it clean after all ur not doing red bull races every week and riding through rivers of mud while its pissing it down like eddie lol.

my bike is full sus and from 2014 and all i have had to do was change the sus oil for new as all the seals were ok anyway.

Nolan

Pedelecer
Jul 22, 2018
it dont cost anything if you can service it ur self its not hard to keep it clean after all ur not doing red bull races every week and riding through rivers of mud while its pissing it down like eddie lol.

my bike is full sus and from 2014 and all i have had to do was change the sus oil for new as all the seals were ok anyway.
Fair enough this is a reflection of a lot of people on this forum and staff in bikes shops.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I must admit that it took me by surprise when it cost me £90 to have all the bearings regreaced to stop the creaking
i did tell you to get a cover exposed bearings right buy the motor is asking for it.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
tbh i cant see how they would all be dry but even so they would have had some wear on them and damage with no lube so i would replace them all.

tho you might get a fair few 100 miles out of it but then you will need a bearing kit and have them all replaced.

i can see the shp charging about 250 quid for that as the kits are not cheap.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Related Articles

Advertisers