Commuting to work on ebike in London

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Here's my current bike:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/qq7rj31rcjonjfu/MVIMG_20180226_093910.jpg?dl=0

You can note that even the wheels are off odd size (20") which makes them harder to sell.

The only thing thieves are interested in are the bag surrounding the frame. However when they open it they see load of black and red wires and get discouraged..
By the looks of that bike Cwah, they would be crazy to mess with you :) that's a serious machine, nice one so 16" wheels should be safe?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
By the looks of that bike Cwah, they would be crazy to mess with you :) that's a serious machine, nice one so 16" wheels should be safe?
It's 20" while with double suspension. I have to admit it's not always the most comfy so I get big seat and cushions.

It's not safe over 30mph but I rarely go that fast in London anyway

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
It's 20" while with double suspension. I have to admit it's not always the most comfy so I get big seat and cushions.

It's not safe over 30mph but I rarely go that fast in London anyway
Yes, I know yours are 20" :) just thought as you mentioned smaller size being less attractive, then 16" should be a safe bet as my friend was considering this smaller size.

Emily Joy

Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2018
Warwickshire
Years ago in Netherlands the only way to keep your bike safe was to make sure the lock is more expensive than the bike itself. In London I either use a folder or a Boris bike.

Reactions: UrbanPuma

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
my son who lives and works in London made the point long time ago of not paying more than £100 for a bike. Thieves still cut his lock with a disc cutter and nicked his battered £100 bike from the communal bike shed 3 times so far. He's lost QR skewers, saddle, bell, lights, propstand etc.
You can't eliminate entirely the risk, just have to manage it. Invest in a less flashy bike and keep it indoors if possible.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I am a bike bit scavenger but I limit my finds to bikes parked next to bins... A couple of years back I was very tempted by stuff from a high end bike (Specialized or Cannondale?) that a rich tourist had parked, locked and forgotten on the beach walk. I managed to not take anything and it was eventually cut free by town hall employees with everything still attached after about two or three weeks!

Conclusion:
1. I live in a safer place than London
2. Some people have too much money
3. Others don't have the bike they deserve...

:D