Confused

Gilk

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 2, 2018
Shardlow
Been looking at putting a mid drive kit on a Dawes Gallaxy AL, but would like to keep the drop bars. The bike will only be used with pedle assist, so no throttle. Do I still have to have the break switches as the breaks in the kits would not work with the drop bars and gear change?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
No is the simple answer.

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes
D

Deleted member 4366

It's dead easy to make your own brake switches, or you can buy ones that go on the cables.

Wheel-E

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2017
Brighton
so it would work fine without the break switches, like I said, confused.
Stop pedalling, the motor will stop. Remember though, that sometimes you may need to pedal forward to change gear when slowing down. Brake switches can still be useful even if you don't have a throttle but not absolutely necessary.

Give that you want to use drop bars, probably best to buy the switches that attach in line with the cables or as Dave says, make your own. You could always try without brake switches first and see how you get on.

D

Deleted member 4366

You only need one brake switch on the back brake. You can use the brake sensor that came with the kit. You glue or cable-tie it to the frame where there's any open cable, then put a spoke magnet on the cable.

Reactions: Wheel-E