Conhismotor electric bike

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
I think as long as people ride responsibly with regard to themselves and others, theres no problem. We all drive cars that are capable of exceeding the legal speed limit and have a lot more power than required but it doesn't stop us buying and using them. We ebikers are helping to save the planet, so to encourage more people onto ebikes we shouldn't be over critical of our fellow ebikers.
Steady, this thread seems to have gone off at a tangent, (not your fault.) Notwithstanding that, I understand your analogy but it doesn't actually apply for this reason:

Almost all motor cars are capable, as you say, of speeds well in excess of the motorway speed limit. Those cars, though are not illegal for use on UK roads. All ebikes, however, are illegal for use on UK roads if they do not comply with the simple legislation applicable to their use which brings us back to the point made by the original poster about the 25kph assisted speed being too low.

It's not much different from the, "Why can't I shoot any birds and animals I want any time of year?" question....or "Why can't I hunt foxes with horse and hound?" Obviously, there are laws which permit or deny the right to just do as we please in many areas of life. Unfortunately, even in this forum we have some members who see themselves above the law, think they're smarter than the rest of us; believe they're capable of riding safely at 50 mph on machines equipped with only bicycle brakes and cannot content themselves with those ebikes permissible for road use.

For what it's worth, I think these people need to be challenged as they do the silent majority of ebikers a disservice and many of them are probably a danger on our roads. I'm one who has always found the "Live and let live" adage one of the stupidest things ever said.

Regards,
Indalo

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I think as long as people ride responsibly with regard to themselves and others, theres no problem. We all drive cars that are capable of exceeding the legal speed limit and have a lot more power than required but it doesn't stop us buying and using them. We ebikers are helping to save the planet, so to encourage more people onto ebikes we shouldn't be over critical of our fellow ebikers.
The comparison with cars has absolutely no relevance to what is being discussed here. It has no relevance because the BIG difference is that the cars are LEGAL to use on the road. They also attract tax, insurance MoTs, licencing, registration and other unattractive necessities. Riding or using a non-compliant ebike on a road is the equivalent of using a car on a road without any or some of the above being in place. In fact its morally worse, because those who do use non-compliant ebike do so under the cloak of legal ebiker's compliance with the law, thereby jeopardising the advantages which they enjoy.

How many illegal ebikers have the guts to do it properly? How many of you have the moral substance to do the correct thing, get the machine type approved, insured, registered and everything else?...........I thought so.

I suspect that you would prefer to skulk around using the legal guys for cover, risking their rights to little interference or regulation, whilst trying to stay under the radar to save your own missrable arses.

Edit: Crossed with Inaldo

Last edited:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I am with Tilson and Indalo on this.
We have a valuable concession that regards e-bikes as pedal cycles. We did not used to have this and we don't want to lose it.
Reports suggest that China, which has not bothered to regulate electric bikes is now considering EU legislation because of the high number of fatal accidents they have had.
There is nothing stopping anyone having a 15 mph low powered moped or a 70mph electric bike. Just that it will not fall within the concession.
People complain that the silent majority never speak out and we end up with all sorts of problems.
Well, defend it or lose it, it is time to speak.

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
tillson and indalo.
I really, really couldn't gaf what the pair of you think.
I'm happy, I don't take the ****, I ride at 23mph - big wow, eh?
50mph my arse.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys, we should all calm down.

We are all adult and mature. Electric bike at 22mph isn't going to be in ANY WAY dangerous. And normal cyclists can peddle at this speed so no problems.

What's the difference between 15 and 22mph? Would that be notified by any way on the road? And in US, Canada and Australia they can all cycles at 22 mph right? Even if we have an accident, speed is never going to be the MAIN cause...

Problems would come from the one that goes at 50 mph, they are dangerous. Cautious cyclists such as us at 22mph are slower than any moped.

We just need a bit more punch, that's all we need. Nothing more.

Best ;)

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
tillson and indalo.
I really, really couldn't gaf what the pair of you think.
No, what you really mean is that you dont care what anyone thinks as long as you can follow your own agenda. You don't care what effect your actions have on others. You don't care to follow the constraints of Road Traffic law, so you use your fellow legal ebikers to cover up your own dishonesty.

I accept there is nothing that I can do or say that will change your approach, but it's best to be clear about exactly what your attitude means in real terms.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Guys, we should all calm down.

We are all adult and mature. Electric bike at 22mph isn't going to be in ANY WAY dangerous. And normal cyclists can peddle at this speed so no problems.

What's the difference between 15 and 22mph? Would that be notified by any way on the road? And in US, Canada and Australia they can all cycles at 22 mph right? Even if we have an accident, speed is never going to be the MAIN cause...

Problems would come from the one that goes at 50 mph, they are dangerous. Cautious cyclists such as us at 22mph are slower than any moped.

We just need a bit more punch, that's all we need. Nothing more.

Best ;)
cwah

I can't compete with you. How can I reason with someone who has no concept of right or wrong, and who cites the laws of Canada, Australia and The US when he lives and uses his bike in The UK?

Thankfully I now know you aren't that daft, you have actually been stimulating debate by deliberately posting controversial and, if I may say so, crazy logic. I'm pleased that I have realised this, well done.

Kind Regards

Tom

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Interesting point though, the petrol tank on the crossbar. Would we be better off mounting batteries in the same place?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys, with a motor in a bike, is it a bit... anti-ecologic? I want it electric!