Controller + battery in same bag - heat issue?

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Hi all
I've got my parts from BMS battery and have started building up.

I have an s12s and a 20 Ah battery that both just fit in a trunk bag side by side or controller underneath and battery on top.

Should I be worried about heat?

The other option is that I could put the controller in a side pocket in the trunk bag, but waterproofing in the side pockets looks less good.

Thoughts?

I'm running the stock 23A at the moment, but may solder the shunt to give closer to 30A once all the other building and wiring is done.

Thanks
Phil

D

Deleted member 4366

All my bikes have the controllers in the bag with the battery. I've never had a problem with heat.

D

Deleted member 4366

Just a thought. All my bags are single layer fabric, not thick padded ones so the heat can get out.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Just for anyone else reading this, it depends on the controller, I have ones that run cold (no problem) and ones that run warm to hot under load, just check after riding a bit especially up a long steep hill, I had a bike that cut out on hills due to this.

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
I had a controller get so hot that the ink on the sticker melted and came off. That was because of those crap bullet connectors failing, but it got very hot.

I was glad it was seprate from the battery.

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
Thanks all. I'll do some experiments once it is all built up - was going great until the inner tube in the rear wheel blew. Now I rather regret getting big marathon plus tyres that only just fit in under the mudguards!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Slightly off topic so apologies

But how did you blow up a marathon plus ? Riding through a police stinger ?!

pn_day

Pedelecer
Jul 26, 2013
St Andrews, Fife
But how did you blow up a marathon plus ? Riding through a police stinger ?!
Fair comment. It was the tube that blew. Pinch flat I'm guessing. The sidewalls are rather stiff, and I've been a bit optimistic with squeezing the largest tyre I can in the space all contributing to a loud bang on the stand shortly after inflating the tube!