Converting A BABBOE CARGO

Marco

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 27, 2017
exeter
Hi Everyone!
I'm Marco from Italy and have been living in Exeter for three years.
My mother in law bought us a Babboe cargo trailer tricycle as a present for my (then) new born baby.
It's an amazing way to travel and you can take up to four children in it.
The big problem is that we live at the edge of the city and all the access to the city goes via very steep hills.
I'd like to convert my Babboe cargo to an electric one. Does anyone have any experience of this kind of conversion? What kind of conversion kit buy, the battery power etc..
Thanks for any help you can give me!
Looking forward to hearing from you!

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Ciao , welcome aboard Marco.
You will need to show some pics for us to look at.
A good close up one of the crank/bottom bracket also.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Here's the Baboe website link.

You'll see they have an electric version of your trike Marco, and that uses a rear hub motor, usually the simplest and most practical way to electrify these.

You need a 26" rear wheel kit with a carrier mounted battery to convert yours. With the weight a powerful kit is needed and I suggest a Bafang CST motor kit would be suitable.

Woosh e-bikes do such a kit at a very reasonable price but unfortunately only offer downtube batteries which might be difficult to accommodate. Here's their kit link, the XF08 one is what I'm referring to.

Someone else may know of a similar CST kit with a carrier based battery.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We need to know which model you have, Big or Curve? If I was doing a conversion I would put the battery in the box under the seat. That is where Babble put it on the Curve.

Marco

Sep 27, 2017
exeter
Mine is the big baboe version.
I'm not an expert guys, so any specification is welcome!:)

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
OK so it looks like you've got hub gears. If that's right then it probably needs a mid drive motor. What the guys will need is a picture of the bottom bracket (where the pedals go through the frame) to see if it's possible. Also what make/type are the gears?

D

Deleted member 4366

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Agree
Reactions: Nealh

Marco

Sep 27, 2017
exeter
OK so it looks like you've got hub gears. If that's right then it probably needs a mid drive motor. What the guys will need is a picture of the bottom bracket (where the pedals go through the frame) to see if it's possible. Also what make/type are the gears?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Agree with d8veh there, a simple conventional mid drive through the BB is out as it won't fit the rectangular box section frame, above or below.

Last edited:

Marco

Sep 27, 2017
exeter
Thanks everybody for the help! I appreciate that! I think tomorrow I'll go to the bike shop and I'll ask them how much would cost me if I 'd buy the kit you suggested plus the labour and I'll see!
Have a nice day guys!

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The frame tube needs to be 68mm wide to fit some of those kits. That's what you need to measure - just the frame tube length.
think his bottom bracket shell length is 73mm.