Converting Rockhopper MTB to ebike for flat commute

powgoff

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 22, 2017
Sussex
Looking for some guidance. I have a 4 mile commute each way on a flat bridleway with only a very short section on the public road. I am thinking of converting an old MTB to ebike so I can commute without the need for a shower/change of clothes

I have an offer of a 48v/12ah battery so could go down the 250/1000w rear hub route which would be fun but perhaps overkill

Is there a more cost-effective 250w route

Thanks

D

Deleted member 4366

I have an offer of a 48v/12ah battery so could go down the 250/1000w rear hub route which would be fun but perhaps overkill
I doubt that it will. you'd probably get much better performance from a normal 250w geared hub-motor. You'll get more torque and better efficiency.

For bumpy off- road riding, I wouldn't recommend a front motor. Rockhoppers normally have 9-speed cassette gears, which would limit your choice to a cassette motor unless you want to change your shifter and derailleur to a cheapo 7 speed Shimano Tourney set. You can buy cheap 36v motor kits on Ebay for less than £110, but the controllers won't run at 48v, so you chuck the controller and get one of these with the LCD for about £60 delivered:

http://www.pswpower.com/peng/iview.asp?KeyID=dtpic-2016-3F-33C0.50CGS

This is a complete kit with a cassette motor with the 36v controller and LCD. You could ask the guy if the controller is dual voltage 36v/48v or ask if he would sell you just the motor wheel, then get the PSWPower controller/LCD kit.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Retrofit-Kit-36V350W-26-Rear-Motor-Cassette-E-Bike-Hub-Conversion-LCD-Display-/302237557385?epid=591719932&hash=item465ec32289:g:f50AAOSwC9VZhBAQ

powgoff

Oct 22, 2017
Sussex
That's great info - feels like the route to a cost effective ebike that I was looking for

fatwomble

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2017
Southampton / Winchester
So what would people advise between the option of the pannier mounted 48v/12a battery plus the revised controller/display or a bottle type 36v/10.4a battery (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/36v10-4ah-e-bike-Pedelec-li-ion-battery-downtube-bottle-lithium-battery-new-BMS-/221879437466)

How much luggage will you be carrying to and from work? I found that my heavy bag really made my back sweaty, so I have it on my rear rack. I wouldn't want the battery weight there as well, as that would make it very rear heavy.

Obviously that won't be an issue if you don't load the rear up with luggage.

powgoff

Oct 22, 2017
Sussex
I’ll have almost no luggage - just a laptop bag sometimes

So a pannier would be a nice to have only

I assume the bike will handle better with the central battery

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
ive only just done my 2004 rockhopper. used a bpm 350w rear and fitted a 9 speed freewheel to avoid and gear issues, best thing i ever done. always on it now. few times a week i make the 22/24 mile round trip to local city and its quicker than driving in rush hour

powgoff

Oct 22, 2017
Sussex
Thanks - do you have a link to where you bought the bpm 350

What type of battery are you using

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
yeah, just got the whole kit from woosh with the 17ah hl battery. my mate has just "upgraded" to a cube cross pro and says hes very upset that mine kicks the crap out of his shiny new bike

Anthonyexmouth

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Exmouth
I’ll have almost no luggage - just a laptop bag sometimes

So a pannier would be a nice to have only

I assume the bike will handle better with the central battery
i got myself the topeak rear basket and tourist rack. sad end for a rockhopper thats been all over the alps but im amazed how much i use it now for bits of shopping. questioning my need for a car