could kill boyfriend.

Laura

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2011
After a pedal came off today on me i discovered that when my bf assembled my new wisper he put the pedals on the wrong sides. RAGIN!!!! I've inspected them any yep he's ruined the threads on the crank arm on the left hand side. Can these be re threaded or do i need a new crank arm.
also how should i punish bf. grrrrrrrrrrr

Laura

Pedelecer
Feb 27, 2011
that's a fair point lol
altough it arrived when i was at work and he thought he was doing a good deed.
I'm not mad at him really though i am def the handy one in the house

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
altough it arrived when i was at work and he thought he was doing a good deed.
I'm not mad at him really though i am def the handy one in the house
He did it for you but got it wrong, you know he did it for you and you're not mad...sounds like love to me..........aaaaaah :)

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I fail to see how any one could screw a left hand thread into a right hand thread. This doesn't ring true.

-------------------------------------------------------
Posting from my iPhone using Tapatalk :)

stevebills

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 14, 2010
I fail to see how any one could screw a left hand thread into a right hand thread. This doesn't ring true.

maybe he used a hammer and whacked it in place:confused:

Last edited:

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Laura,

I'm afraid there is nothing you can do to repair the threads, the crank-set will need to be replaced.

May I suggest you contact Wisper Bikes regarding replacements as I have always found their spares prices very reasonable.

As for your well-meaning boy-friend, perhaps a period of rights-denial would be appropriate. ;)

EDIT: It sounds as though he attempted to fit the R/H pedal to the left crank arm, stuffed the thread and then fitted it to the correct side. This is good news as you only need a new left hand crank-arm. Sorry, should have read your post more carefully.

Last edited:

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
After a pedal came off today on me i discovered that when my bf assembled my new wisper he put the pedals on the wrong sides. RAGIN!!!! I've inspected them any yep he's ruined the threads on the crank arm on the left hand side. Can these be re threaded or do i need a new crank arm.
also how should i punish bf. grrrrrrrrrrr
needs the dealer/good bike shop to have a look at the damage (whats the other pedal like ?)....of course he has to pay for the repair........ but also you need to at least extract his fingernails, cut up his best garments and make him do all the housework for at least a year...just for even touching your wisper.......

hope its not too expensive to fix...

regards

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK

I am kinda with NRG this does sound a little strange :confused:

Worth getting someone else to take a look.

Regards

Jerry

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Could you not get a large tap and tap a new thread?

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Find a local blacksmith and take it to him. If he cannot fix it he will tell you if it can be fixed and who can do it.

It will be cheaper than a new crankset.

First step is to get someone else to look at it.

Second step is to sack the boyfriend :D

3rd step is to buy a book on cycle mechanics and learn how to do it yourself, unless you make the boyfriend chase your bike every time you go out.

Steve

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
If the thread is damaged, it would be unwise to attempt a repair / bodge. According to Sod's Law, it is certain to let you down and either leave you stranded or in a heap in the road.

RobinC

Pedelecer
Jan 6, 2009
Bristol
Crank pedal threads can be repaired with an insert, but if the crankset is nothing special it might work out the same price as a new crankset.

Unless the original cranks were made of soft alloy I'm surprised he was able to thread the pedals on the wrong way round.

Highpath crank repairs

jbond

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2010
Ware, Herts
www.voidstar.com
I wonder if rather than the pedals being on the wrong side, the LHS one had only been done up finger tight and unscrewed itself.

Like others above I cannot imagine being able to mount a pedal on the wrong side even if I tried really hard. The thread is wide and deep and you'd just never manage it.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
I expect the boyfriend wanted to please you and now he has upset you unintentionally. I bet he feels bad about it.

Meantime, I would take it to a Whisper dealer and get them to look at it.

I like Steve's idea of making your boyfriend run behind the bike (when its fixed).

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Laura

Oooops!

Let your Wisper dealer know and they will make the arrangements. PLEASE don't try and re-thread or repair, it will be cheaper and better in the longrun if you simply replace the crank.

I wouldn't think we would ask you to buy the whole set.

All the best

David

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Unless you're within striking distance of a Wisper dealer, then I think the local bike shop idea is favourite; as long as you've got a trustworthy one (i.e. NOT a Halfords) they will be able to assess the damage and what you need to replace.

It's going to cost your boyfriend something between £50 and £100, I would guess, depending on the extent of the damage, but getting the cranks on and off isn't a job for a man with a hammer and no idea.

David is a man of his word, and will ensure that Wisper supply the necessary replacements as cheaply as they can - on that I would stake money.

Not sure where you go to get bf replaced.

Did you ever see 'Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em', or are you too young for that sort of thing?

Good luck.

Allen.